Chit Chat

What do you think of cupcake jars?

I'm having a b!tch of a time trying to figure out nice edible favors that we can afford. Unfortunately spending $4 each on decorated cookies just isn't in our budget. I saw these "cupcake jars" on pinterest that I think we can make...you put half a cupcake in a mason jar, then put a layer of icing, then the other half of the cupcake. Attach a spoon with a ribbon and a cute label. I was thinking too that we could use vanilla icing and dye it one of the wedding colors. 

I priced it out, and without any bargain shopping/coupons/costco prices they came in under $2 per favor. My best friend offered to help make them but the question is...would you like this favor if you got it at a wedding? Is there anything I'm not considering?

Re: What do you think of cupcake jars?

• Do you have a picture?
  • I'll take cake or cupcakes as a favor anytime.

I think where the real cost is for these is the jars. Is the $2pp including jars? How many will you have to make? If it is a lot, I wouldn't want to deal with that the week of my wedding (help or not) and would just skip favors. Since you will have to bake them, let them cool, peel the liner off, cut them, and then do all the jar stuff they'll take a bit of time.

• Joan-here is a picture I found. I had to see what it looked like before I responded.

• It's cake. I'm in.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Oh dear lord, count me in too!  Those look heavenly!
  • Yup Staar that's exactly it, thanks for finding the pic. I was thinking about using the smaller 4oz jars, and cutting one cupcake in half instead of using two. I found the jars online for under $1 each (since I'd be buying around 180 of them). 

Yeah, it's going to take forrevverrrrrr, but I haven't been able to think of something better so far. These will take awhile but at least there's not too much to screw up. 

I'm glad you like the idea! I'm very open to other ideas if you have them though.

• If you are up to making them, go for it! And buy your friend and awesome dinner and bottle of wine for helping you out!

• smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    Also inexpensive is sea glass candy. 

you can find tins also pretty inexpensive and you can make it in your wedding colors.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-do-you-think-of-cupcake-jars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:97b8f77d-ed7b-4d4f-a0a0-d5ad83c957bfPost:5facaa3d-d37b-47f2-83d7-e499142b2530">Re: What do you think of cupcake jars?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also inexpensive is sea glass candy.  see link: <a href="http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/diy-wedding-favors-make-your-own-sea-glass-candy/" rel="nofollow">http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/diy-wedding-favors-make-your-own-sea-glass-candy/</a> you can find tins also pretty inexpensive and you can make it in your wedding colors.
    Posted by smalfrie19[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ooh I like that one too!

</div>
  • Those would be yummy.  You could also buy chocolate covered oreos.  Two for each guest should be under $2 as well.
  • I think I like the sea glass candy better than cupcakes.  But I'm the type to like to keep candy in my purse, so I'll get more out of the candy than the cupcake.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love these, and any type of edible favors. Looks delicious!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-do-you-think-of-cupcake-jars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:97b8f77d-ed7b-4d4f-a0a0-d5ad83c957bfPost:0073b9a4-a5a9-4ef7-ae9f-68e4b5818ec8">Re:What do you think of cupcake jars?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the sea glass candy: cheap, easy, and not likely to spoil. It's something you could do as you have time, won't require refridgeration, and would travel a lot more easily for any OOT guests.
    Posted by EllaYoung[/QUOTE]

<div>That's a good point...the cupcakes we would have to make no more than a day or two beforehand...these we could do sooner. </div>
  • I'm sorry, I got stopped at Cupcakes.  Do it.  Can I come too??  ;)

• I love it. Mmmm.....cupcakes.......
  • Will this serve as your cake as well?  If you had wedding cake AND cupcake jars, I would probably not eat one or the other.  That's a lot of cake.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I get the frustrations. We have jumped around with our favor plans too. First cookies. Then homeade fudge. Both came to be too much work involved. Our current plan is to make a trail mix. We originally wanted to put it in jars too but due to costs we are putting them in resealable bags and putting it all in a muslin bag. Plus we can label them "Goofy FI are the perfect mix" or something like that.
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're doing applesauce, so we can make it in advance. My family does a lot of canning and our wedding is in September, so it fits.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Im doing the sea glass candy as well. We have 4 months until the wedding and I think Im going to start making them soon. We are going to do them in our wedding colors...blue & green. I like them because there are TONS of different flavors you can make.

But, I really really like those cupcake jars.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Apple & Goofy...I really like both of your favors!!! I never wouldve thought of either one of those.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-do-you-think-of-cupcake-jars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:97b8f77d-ed7b-4d4f-a0a0-d5ad83c957bfPost:1fafd197-f2a5-4993-9370-7ece9441c418">Re: What do you think of cupcake jars?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Will this serve as your cake as well?  If you had wedding cake AND cupcake jars, I would probably not eat one or the other.  That's a lot of cake.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    I would take the cake for later.  You can never have too much cake in my opinion.

• @Stage...good point about the fork. 

@J&amp;K...yes we are having cake too, but I think that's where having the cupcakes in jars comes in because people could take it with them if they don't eat it there. I just picture my friends being back in their hotel rooms drunk afterwards and going, "Hey, we have CAKE!!"

@Liatris...that's a great idea!

@Goofy...I like the trail mix...our school secretary gave us jars of homemade granola for Christmas (because she's awesome) and it was delicious! Of course granola is way too healthy for me so I put it on ice cream. 

@Angelface...I love the idea of canning something. I looked up how to make jam and got about 5 steps in before I said, "Yeah that's not gonna happen."
  • I guess I'm biased, because I don't really like cake.  Ha.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-do-you-think-of-cupcake-jars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:97b8f77d-ed7b-4d4f-a0a0-d5ad83c957bfPost:d28f86d8-d554-492d-ba53-c39283694556">Re:What do you think of cupcake jars?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Vic. The point to the cupcake in a jar with a lid is that you can take it home for later. It's not intended to be eaten right then. Though personally, I cannot imagine it surviving past the drive home.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]
    It would probably be my midnight (or 4 am) snack.  Or maybe breakfast.  Guaranteed it wouldn't last more than 24 hours before being gleefully consumed.  (Admittedly I have a wicked cake craving right now!)

• I just talked to my best friend and she had an idea...maybe we can make them and freeze them.
  • I vote for cupcake jars over candy if you have the time to make them in advance. I vote this because I strongly feel there is never too much cake in front of me. There's nothing better than cake.

I like the look of the seaglass candy, it's probably way easier and cheaper to do and will be something you can do in advance. I'm not a fan of hard candy personally, but I would eat it anyway. Like someone else said, I'd prob keep it in my purse.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• I just made cookie favors tonight for my wedding, it was super easy and quick to just cut out heart shapes, bake and bag them with a twistie tie, two in a bag. We also drizzled chocolate on half and white chocolate on the other half. Edible favors are the way to go
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That looks so yummy.  I would definitely love that as a favor.  

Anniversary

• I would not take this on to do on your own in the few days before the wedding. You are going to be very busy and this will be time consuming. If you want to offer some edible treats, try cookies. Cookies can be frozen for a couple of months if they are properly stored. So you can do them in advance.
  • Please make them and please invite me to your wedding.

In all honesty, I love them (I've had one ONCE and enjoyed every bite) because it's a cupcake and cupcakes are always awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards