Getting in Shape
Options

Pro vs Con for a Detox/Cleanse

Hi everyone!! New to the board. I've been lurking on a few for a while, but it's my first stop here. So here's my question:

I've been in a battle with my weight for years, but feel like I really need to get a grip on things for my upcoming nuptuals and just to become healthier in general. I've had some people tell me recently that doing a cleanse at the beginning helps to get rid of all those toxins in your body and helps you to detox from all the junk. Most of them do yearly cleanses and find a lot of benefits from them. So my question.. have you done a cleanse and is it really worth it?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pro vs Con for a Detox/Cleanse

• Options
    r&c14r&c14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pro-vs-con-for-a-detoxcleanse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3f9fb5c0-84af-4a68-98d9-ae7841ac524dPost:71c1df7c-9d6a-4180-8907-95f6a1932e8c">Re: Pro vs Con for a Detox/Cleanse</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are no pros to a detox / cleanse.  Your body detoxes all on its own without you having to diet.  People who say it's a good "jumpstart" probably mean that your body loses a ton of weight when you starve yourself, which is basically what a cleanse does. Start tracking your food and eating healthier today.  Jump on a site like My Fitness Pal for easy food tracking - it'll help you learn about proper portions, healthy foods, and good choices.  Start exercising, even if it's just five minute walks to start. Also, your signature gif makes me laugh.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I guess it's a common misconception that the world of health and wellness has put out there to make a buck. I just bought an elliptical and my FI put it together for me last night. I made a vow to myself that anytime I wanted to sit down and watch tv that I would instead get on the elliptical and watch it. I'm glad the weather is also getiting nicer so I can get outside and enjoy it. Thanks for the reply!! Also, if you think the signature gif is funny you should see all 27 on the site I got it from. </div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbad/virginmobilelive/27-cats-that-just-cant-handle-it-5l87" rel="nofollow">http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbad/virginmobilelive/27-cats-that-just-cant-handle-it-5l87</a>

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ditto PP. There is really no need for a detox or cleanse. You really are just starving yourself.
  • Options
    PPs are right, the body cleanses itself. What you can do to help that process, though, is not eat junk. If you want to do a set week-long (or however) thing, try a clean-eating cleanse - all whole, natural foods, nothing overly-processed or from a box, etc. Just make sure you get enough calories (AT LEAST 1,200 daily) - nothing good comes from depriving your body the nutrients it needs to run.

I was a long-time lurker too, but I like the accountability posts! They keep me...accountable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    r&c14r&c14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    Thanks for the feedback! I have looked at some of the accountability posts today and I like the idea. Might decide to join in. It's nice to have something like that!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    As other PPs said, cleanses are a no no.
    I don't mention it often, but I actually spent 6 years getting an education in Nutrition (Bachelors and Masters degrees),  and we were taught that fad diets, including cleanses, are way too restrictive and should be avoided.
    Best way to begin is food journaling, which my fitness pal helps you do. Also making small changes at first - your idea to watch tv and use the elliptical at the same time is a great way to start.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Options
    ditto PPs. MFP has been helpful just to get a basic idea/log of what you are really putting into your body.

Also - that GIF made me miss my kitty so much!
  • Options
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    If you want to do a healthy all natural cleanse/detox that you still eat full meals I tried beach body's ultimate reset.  It is a 21 day cleanse.  The diet guide tries to lead you to a vegan diet and life style, which I did not want to do. So I took a healthy spin to many of their recipes by adding things that were healthy but knew I would eat again.  Many people lose a lot of weight on the reset due the low fat and protein diet.  I did not do the reset to lose weight, but to reset my eating habits and portion sizes.  I lost 7lbs which was great, but what I am more satisfied with is my body was trained to take in smaller portions and I trained myself mentally to buy and eat healthier foods. 

http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/best_sellers/ultimate-reset.do

• Options

excalygrl:
    I am not a vendor, I am a consumer who tried the product and have learned how to eat better from it.  If I was a vendor do you honestly think I would be saying that I didn't follow the meal plan like the product directs?  Get a clue and learn how to read. I'm beginning to wonder why I even joined this stupid website.  All it is, is a bunch of catty bridzilla bitches. 

Sorry r&c14, thought I would pass some information along to you but apparently recommending a product to someone asking for information is the wrong thing to do.  Hope you can collect information and weigh the pros and cons and do what you think is healthiest and best for you.  Best of luck!

• Options
    I prefer to read over write. Guess I will stick to that philosophy and remove myself from a website full of rude women. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards