Not Engaged Yet
Options

Unpop Ops

This has been bugging me for a few weeks, so I want to put it out there.

I can't stand Throwback Thursday. Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of old pictures to post, so I'm jealous, but I dread every Thursday on Facebook because of the constant "OMG it TBT!!!"

You go.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Unpop Ops

• Options
    All of my fabo friends like to post baby pictures of themselves on Throwback Thursday and I'm like ok that's enough lol.

I can't get into Twitter, Instagram, or Snap Chat...I just can't. I've tried Twitter about 20 times and I delete my account within the day I sign up. No offense to those who love it but I don't understand it.

Renewing your vows every year...aka Mariah Carey. Is this something that's common now?
  • Options

My parents have all older photos of me, so luckily I can't participate in Throwback Thursday.  I just don't have time to go scanning up old photos of me to post anywhere really... I agree with you Bri!

That's all I have for now.

Anniversary

• Options
    I must not have cool friends...  I never see TBT on my feed!!
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Unpop Ops:
    [QUOTE]I must not have cool friends...  I never see TBT on my feed!!
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

Ditto, but I don't know that I'd be missing out on much. I mean, after so many Thursdays, haven't you seen enough of everyone's old photos to "get it"? Especially the baby photos.

Okay, on photos: I truly, honestly, do not get the fascination with having a camera at every event you ever go to. I'm not much for photo-taking (fastest way to empty a room of my relatives: pull out a camera), but sometimes don't you just want to live in the moment without going "Oh I must have this on film!"
  • Options
    I unfortunately have only 1 photo of me as a child so I have nothing to post and I never see TBT on FB.  Bri I don't think this was an UO, please try again haha

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpop Ops : Same...I've only ever seen one person do it.  I agree with the instagram/snap chat thing.  I didn't know what snap chat was until last week but really, what's the point?
    Posted by laurenb09[/QUOTE]

Is snap chat the one that only shows your message for like..5 seconds before it poofs? 'Cause I just thought that was for cheaters.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    I don't remember seeing TBT on my feed either.  A few friends occasionally wll post picks from childhood, but they are up for a while, and I did not pay attention to if it was a "Thursday" thing.

On the subject of social media, if I never have to look at a picture of a friend's plate of food again, when I am not sitting across from it at a restaurant, I will have found peace. 

I also get very tired of the "Post if you care about ME, or this ISSUE, etc." chain threads.  Fluck a chain thread.

ETA: I have not heard of snap chat.  It sounds... special.

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpop Ops : Yes!  My co-worker was telling me about it and I was like...
    Posted by laurenb09[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. That's what I thought. What a silly app.

Uh, I guess my unpop op is..

I guess from working at Starbucks for so long, I think it's silly when people lose their everloving mind over a new frappucino or latte/something. I've mixed everything there is to mix in a drink from there, even went so far as every Friday my coworkers and I would bring stuff from home to mix in/make smoothes with, etc. Nothing Sbux could come up with wows me any more. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I don't remember seeing TBT on my feed either.  A few friends occasionally wll post picks from childhood, but they are up for a while, and I did not pay attention to if it was a "Thursday" thing. On the subject of social media, if I never have to look at a picture of a friend's plate of food again, when I am not sitting across from it at a restaurant, I will have found peace.  I also get very tired of the "Post if you care about ME, or this ISSUE, etc." chain threads.  Fluck a chain thread.
    Posted by RWS2011[/QUOTE]

I'm totally double posting. Oh well. 

Facebook has turned into those emails you used to get when the internet first appeared 'IF YOU OPENED THIS EMAIL YOU WILL FIND TRUE LOVE WITHIN 1 WEEK ZOMG BUT YOU MUST FORWARD TO 12 BEAUTIFUL GIRLS OR THE GIRL FROM THE RING WILL COME  OUT FROM UNDER YOUR BED AND MURDER YOU WITH A CLOWN MASK ON. IF YOU GET ONE BACK YOU'RE SOOOOOOO B-E-A-UTIFUL!! BUT FOR REALZ. SEND IT.'

Yes, caps was required.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpop Ops : I'm totally double posting. Oh well.  Facebook has turned into those emails you used to get when the internet first appeared 'IF YOU OPENED THIS EMAIL YOU WILL FIND TRUE LOVE WITHIN 1 WEEK ZOMG BUT YOU MUST FORWARD TO 12 BEAUTIFUL GIRLS OR THE GIRL FROM THE RING WILL COME  OUT FROM UNDER YOUR BED AND MURDER YOU WITH A CLOWN MASK ON. IF YOU GET ONE BACK YOU'RE SOOOOOOO B-E-A-UTIFUL!! BUT FOR REALZ. SEND IT.' Yes, caps was required.
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

I just LOLed in my office. Thank God my door is closed.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpop Ops : I just LOLed in my office. Thank God my door is closed.
    Posted by mhollister89[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Unpop op that I shared with some of you yesterday...I'm irrationally irritated by the whole "Boston Strong" thing that's going on in Boston.

Yes, the events of Marathon Monday were traumatic.  I think the best way to show that Boston is strong is to return to our every day lives, go to the areas that were bombed as we normally would, let the Feds do their job, and fry the little bastard in the chair.

I don't need to wear a t-shirt that says "Boston Strong" to show support, or care.  I don't need a street vendor telling me I must not care about the bombings because I don't want to buy a $35 t-shirt, or a wrist band.  I don't need to see the writing on every store front, on public bus's window displays, on sidewalks, everywhere.  I want to try to return to normal, where I wasn't scared to be in a Starbucks on Boylston Street or terrified to ride the subway with shady looking people.  And, frankly, all of this "Boston Strong" shiiiiit does not help me forget.  It makes it a constant occurrence in my mind and memory.

I realize that that's a very very unpop op, but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    I actually agree shoes.... even though I'm not there. I was still working in NYC after 9/11 and I just felt moving on and continuing life as normal and not showing fear was the best way to go about things.

Anniversary

• Options
    I definitely agree that I don't get Twitter, and I actually still don't know what Snap Chat is even though it's been explained to me more than once.  

As far as "TBT," I don't mind a picture every now and then if it's a cute/funny group photo from a while back, but I truly cannot stand 5 baby pictures of the same person in one day.  It's just narcissistic.

Other unpopular opinions:
    -People should write in cursive more before no one remembers how to use it.
    -I truly don't understand why income taxes aren't just a universal percentage for everyone.  It just seems fair that if you make $100 and you pay $10, if I make $1,000 I should pay $100.
    -Mozzarella is the best cheese.
    -Sweet wines like Riesling and Moscato do not give me a headache and I reallyreally like them :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Um, I don't even know what Snapchat is so there's that.

TBT can go take a flying fluk.

Shoes is right let's get back to our normal routine after a huge tragedy.

My OP's:

People who have to dress their kids in the best clothes while they're still growing. I just got off the phone with my friend who is having a crying fit because her ex MIL dressed her son in "OH MY GOD THOSE CLOTHES FROM WALMART! THE CHEAP ONES!" and yes she was screaming. I'm sorry, when I was growing up my mom sewed my clothes. We didn't go clothes shopping in a store until 5th grade. I'm learning how to sew this summer and will do the same thing when I get KTFU.

I can't think of anything else right now because I have a headache from that phone conversation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    kmbryant2413kmbryant2413 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]Still don't like Twitter/Instagram/etc. But I say that every time. I've never heard of Snap Chat and I've never seen TBT in my feed. I like the sentiment of Boston Strong. I'm not going to buy a shirt, or a wristband, or feel bad about not doing either of those things, but I like that people are still remembering while moving forward. I recognize that my view on this may be colored since I was hit particularly hard by it emotionally and my doc thinks I'm suffering post-traumatic stress due to the events. I think it's really rude when people correct other people's grammar, especially online. Is it vaguely irritating that someone insists on constantly using the wrong they're/their/there? Sure. But you're annoying me more but acting all superior. Thong underwear gives me the heebie jeebies. I'd prefer to wear full-coverage underoos or go commando to avoid VPLs in tigher-fitting clothes than to wear one.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

*gasp* I don't own a single pair of full-coverage undies. They give me the heebies. I like how our thinking is completely opposite on that. So weird. 

• Options
    I'm with Liv on the grammar police.
  • Options
    I understand people's opinions on the grammar police, but I see badly used commas and missing/misplaced apostrophes and it's at that point I start to understand Lynne Truss's desire to have an apostrophe brigade, armed with such things as variously colored stickers (to put apostrophes in) and copious amounts of white-out (to take apostrophes out). Which has probably just become an unpop op.
  • Options
    Grammar police attacking a misused comma? Yea, that's pushing it. But there should be no excuse for not knowing (and using) the correct version of your/you're or their/there/they're. NONE. It's NOT that hard.

Or, as in another thread around here, sentences. I don't care if it's a fragment, or properly structured, but one giant, long, mega paragraph of multiple thoughts is annoying, hard-to-read, and makes you look like a moron.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    Oh, Unpop Op.

I don't get nail art. I paint my nails, and they're chipped and awful looking in a day & a half. I think it takes way too much effort for zero reward.

• Options
    [QUOTE]I understand people's opinions on the grammar police, but I see badly used commas and missing/misplaced apostrophes and it's at that point I start to understand Lynne Truss's desire to have an apostrophe brigade, armed with such things as variously colored stickers (to put apostrophes in) and copious amounts of white-out (to take apostrophes out). Which has probably just become an unpop op.
    Posted by KeptInStitches[/QUOTE]

I loved that book. Rogue apostrophes bother me all the time--especially when they are on official signs. No wonder people use them incorrectly.

I'm sure I have all sorts of unpop ops, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.
  • Options
    RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Here's another:

While I still will watch them as a guilty pleasure from time to time, I am sick of Reality TV as a class of entertainment.  I find it absurd that you can become nominally famous simply because of dating another fake celebrity or for doing something stupid or outrageous.  I don't particularly care about the drama that exists between chefs, cupcake bakers, or the whack jobs who bid on storage containers.  Nor do I need to know about the life stories of people who have an obscene number of children or share a husband.  Even the philanthropic ones get on my nerves.  Would they be revamping homes or remaking people's style if they weren't getting press or prestige for it?  It all feels voyeuristic to me, like societally sanctioned peeping.

I also wonder, if producers weren't falling over themselves trying to come up with the next hit reality show, what other ideas might they be considering...

• Options
    [QUOTE]Thong underwear gives me the heebie jeebies. I'd prefer to wear full-coverage underoos or go commando to avoid VPLs in tigher-fitting clothes than to wear one. Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

YES YES YES! I hate thongs. With a passion.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]Unpop op that I shared with some of you yesterday...I'm irrationally irritated by the whole "Boston Strong" thing that's going on in Boston. Yes, the events of Marathon Monday were traumatic.  I think the best way to show that Boston is strong is to return to our every day lives, go to the areas that were bombed as we normally would, let the Feds do their job, and fry the little bastard in the chair. I don't need to wear a t-shirt that says "Boston Strong" to show support, or care.  I don't need a street vendor telling me I must not care about the bombings because I don't want to buy a $35 t-shirt, or a wrist band.  I don't need to see the writing on every store front, on public bus's window displays, on sidewalks, everywhere.  I want to try to return to normal, where I wasn't scared to be in a Starbucks on Boylston Street or terrified to ride the subway with shady looking people.  And, frankly, all of this "Boston Strong" shiiiiit does not help me forget.  It makes it a constant occurrence in my mind and memory. I realize that that's a very very unpop op, but that's my opinion.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

I bought a shirt to wear for a race last Sunday - but I thought it was fitting (it was a road race)  and 100% of the proceeds were going to my cousin's sorority sister - the woman Rosanne from 20/20. I wore it for the race and now it's just gonna a bed time shirt.

ETA: I didn't go looking to buy the shirt - my cousin went out and bought them and the opportunity was put in my lap. Also, the entire group we were with wore them, so I thought it would make a nice photo op

I think that big displays focus on the past actions, not the healing and moving forward. I agree for the most part.
  • Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    Now, my un pop ops/world criticisms

- being a grammar nazi is only ok if the person in in SERIOUS need of a gramar lesson. I was (and still am kinda) a writing tutor and it annoys the craaaaap out of me to see terribly poor writing. Liek wen peplz tiype like dis u no and noone cn understand wat deyre tryina say.

- I think that flip flops are inappropriate in the office. Go buy some peep toes flats or mules that go between the toe, but plain old flip flops aren't acceptable. Please try again.

- I don't get why models have to be so skinny. Does the fabric really cost THAT much that you can't afford to make the garnment with like 3 more inches in it's circumference? *ETA: and by skinny, I mean 0. I'm perfectly ok with a 2 or a 4.

- I hate the photo-quote things about your mother, your brother, your sister, and your friend, every other, and you lover (both past and present tense) *name that tune!
    BUT srsly. Like, I mean, I like angels and all, but I prefer them over my shoulder and not clogging up my newsfeed.

- Same goes for all of the republican/conservative memes. I'd really hate to start ignoring so many people on FB
  • Options
    I am guilty of flip flops in the office. hangs head in shame
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    I don't think thongs are a solution to visible underwear lines. If I can tell you are wearing a thong because your dress/white pants keep riding up your butt crack, you have a bigger problem. What you choose to wear or not wear for underwear, is none of my GD business--so don't show me.

Similar thing, those legging pant things are not for anyone. If I can see through them you should be wearing another pair of pants.

I don't get the desire to drive stick (manual trasmission).

• Options
    [QUOTE]I don't think thongs are a solution to visible underwear lines. If I can tell you are wearing a thong because your dress/white pants keep riding up your butt crack, you have a bigger problem. What you choose to wear or not wear for underwear, is none of my GD business--so don't show me. Similar thing, those legging pant things are not for anyone. If I can see through them you should be wearing another pair of pants. I don't get the desire to drive stick (manual trasmission).
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

For shame, Jennifer. FOR. SHAME.

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpop Ops : For shame, Jennifer. FOR. SHAME.
    Posted by BriSox81[/QUOTE]

haha I do get the desire to have someone else drive you around. So of course I don't get why anyone would want to have to do more as the driver of the car.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpop Ops : haha I do get the desire to have someone else drive you around. So of course I don't get why anyone would want to have to do more as the driver of the car.
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

Haha fair enough. I find it harder to drive an automatic now. I know that sounds ridiculous, but because I've driven a stick for so long, it's just natural for me. I immediately reach for the clutch, I try to shift, etc. I don't even think of driving stick as extra work... it just... is.

I'll teach you someday. It'll be awesome :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards