Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

memorial ideas for wedding

i need ideas for my wedding to represent mine and my fiance loved ones that are deceased. please help.Smile

Re: memorial ideas for wedding

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    We had a short prayer said at the beginning of the ceremony recognizing all the loved ones that weren't able to be there with us.

If it's a parent or close family member then you can light a candle or reserve a seat and place a flower in it on the way up to the alter.  Whatever you decide, don't make it a big thing because it will put a damper on the day.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • thank you so much Laughing
  • We are lighting candles at our ceremony...with something like "The bride lights this candle in memory of her grandmother...etc." Then, we'll take the candles to the reception so they can burn throughout the reception as a memorial there.
  • thank you all for your ideas i really appreciate have a wonderfully day Smile
  • I got a beautiful memorial vase from Oriental Trading.  I'm going to display it on it's own table with pictures of loved ones we've lost. 
  • Very glad to have come across this...my dad died eight years ago and I'm struggling with how to remember him at our wedding.

[url=http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt159147.aspx[/img][/url]
  • This is a great idea - memorial candles

Vendors are not allowed to post on these boards. @KnotPorscha
  • There are many subtle ways to remember loved ones during a wedding ceremony. You do need to make sure that whatever you do, you make sure it will not catch any family members off guard and cause them any unexpected grief or sadness. Brides can wear jewelry that belonged to loved ones who have passed, or attach a locket or other heirloom to their bouquet. You can incorporate someone's favorite color or flower into your decor. You can play a favorite song during your ceremony or reception.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    jagore08 said:
    We had a short prayer said at the beginning of the ceremony recognizing all the loved ones that weren't able to be there with us.

If it's a parent or close family member then you can light a candle or reserve a seat and place a flower in it on the way up to the alter.  Whatever you decide, don't make it a big thing because it will put a damper on the day.
    For many people, the bolded will be a big thing, not subtle, because it calls too much attention to the reason why the person in question is absent, and adds to the grief of those in mourning for that person.  We generally don't recommend it here. 

But giving a tribute in a wedding program, wearing or carrying something associated with the deceased, or providing food, drink, decorations, or entertainment are all subtle, lovely gestures of "memory."
  • Dead thread!

• Viczaesar said:
    Dead thread!
    Curses!  I blame the Golden Globes for making me miss that date!
  • mobkaz said:
    There are many subtle ways to remember loved ones during a wedding ceremony. You do need to make sure that whatever you do, you make sure it will not catch any family members off guard and cause them any unexpected grief or sadness. Brides can wear jewelry that belonged to loved ones who have passed, or attach a locket or other heirloom to their bouquet. You can incorporate someone's favorite color or flower into your decor. You can play a favorite song during your ceremony or reception.
    I prefer the subtle ways. My father passed away in 2006 and if I had to light a candle or look at an empty seat with a flower on it I wouldn't be able to celebrate. It would make me too sad.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I remembered my dad by adding 'Forget me not's' to my bouquet and we remembered the absentees by a short prayer. I  was really subtle .
  • We love the candle idea but that wasn't for us. We wanted something different that most people don't think of doing. I'm sewing a heart made out of my grandfathers shirt. I'm sewing it right where my heart is. It's something that nobody will know about. Then I'll have small pictures in a locket. They will be tired to my bouquet so it is like they are also walking me down the isle.  The last thing were doing is in the picture I attached. It's easiest that way! We are changing the wording to fit us on the chalk board. 
  • I'm doing similar to Bridgett - I ordered a charm with a picture of my dad on a blue ribbon from Etsy that will attach to my bouquet, and having the heart sewn on the inside of my gown from one of his shirts.  My family knows about it, but I won't make a big deal out of it - it's my private memorial to him.  I don't want to have an empty chair for him at the ceremony - it's too sad.

• edited February 2014
    My fi and I are putting soil from each other's parents house into the pot of a small magnolia tree (my grandmother's favorite.)  I think it is small enough of a gesture that many won't notice so no one will become upset, but large enough of a gesture that I know she will be with me on my wedding day.
  • FI and I have both lost a grandfather (mine paternal, and his maternal), so during our wedding Mass, we are going to light 2 candles in the Sanctuary in their memory.  (Not quite sure when during Mass we'll be doing this, but we'll be doing it all the same)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards