Wedding Woes

s/o suicide

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: s/o suicide

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'll add on one snippit for anyone still rading besides the troll...
    Yes, my husband knows I talk about the issue.  He and I both acknowledge that the stigma and the secrecy of this is part of what got him into the bad state; knowledge is a balm.

There's a level of pain (physical or mental) where people cease being reasonable.
    Remember 1984, and room 101? We all have that point.  
    When I was in the middle of one of the worst migraines (that lasted months), I fantisized daily about letting go of the steering wheel of my car and driving into a tree/off a bridge/etc.
    It never moved past fantasy, but by the time I got to *good* medical care, it was pretty real.

It made a lot more sense then.  That the best way to end pain can seem to be to cease existance.
  • edited April 2013
    Lol Barbie. Your world view is so narrow and sheilded. Get a little bit of education. The human brain is in delicate chemical balance. Anything that injures the brain or impairs its chemical balance can cause devistating and uncontrolled emotional issues. I had severe sleep apnea, which made me so sleep deprived that I hallucinated daily. I didn't entertain thoughts of suicide because I wanted your attention. I just wanted the horrific hallucinations, extreme nausea, and souleating tiredness to stop. It took surgery to save me, because my heart was being damaged. You're very full of yourself if you think suicides are all about you.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Yes, I second this!

In Response to Re: s/o suicide:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Varuna and Pmeg for saying what I wanted to say. 
    Posted by AuntFlo[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re: s/o suicide:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: s/o suicide : all of the fvVck mes aside,  suicide is the ultimate selfish act - you're only hurting friends, family, etc.  That's actually what i read into bmom's comments - and the reason for my original comment on this post. people who make a public spectacle of their suicide (or "attempt") ultimately end up hurting more people.  in those cases it's about the show. if you want to kill yourself, then do it  alone with nobody to "stop" you- don't go on a shooting spree first , or do it in some grand public gesture like this kid today.  i'm sorry that these high school kids had to witness this today. I'm sorry that some of the regular posters got to that point or had close friends/family who did. I'm glad that you/they were able to get help or coninue to get help in dealing with mental illness - and i'm sorry if you lost a loved on as a result of a suicide/mental illness.
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]
    That's pretty much what I meant. 

FTR? I had a plan. Even after it was interrupted and I got help, I didn't tell anyone about it. Not even the therapist for a long while. I've been there: I never wanted to take anyone with me or do it in front of people. That sort of attention-seeking behavior is at odds with the suicidal depressives I have known, and it's selfish and fucked up, and I have no shame about thinking people who pull that sht are ass holes. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    In Response to Re: s/o suicide:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: s/o suicide : That's pretty much what I meant.  FTR? I had a plan. Even after it was interrupted and I got help, I didn't tell anyone about it. Not even the therapist for a long while. I've been there: I never wanted to take anyone with me or do it in front of people. That sort of attention-seeking behavior is at odds with the suicidal depressives I have known, and it's selfish and fucked up, and I have no shame about thinking people who pull that sht are ass holes. 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

Not to further resurrect this but...you do realize what you are saying is because your experience and the experience of people you knew, with a mental illness, manifested itself as X, it's not possible  that in someone else it may manifest as Y?

• I suppose it's possible, GB, but everyone I've known who wanted someone to see them "commit suicide" was using it as an abuse tool, so that colors it, too. It's still a shtty thing to do, to bring other people into it. Surely you can admit that. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    If it's an attentiony thing?  yes, that's assy.  But saying someone who is mentally ill is making an assy decision is...well, kinda like me saying my cat is making an assy decision.  Of course he's making an assy decision, 1-he's an asshole, 2-he's a cat--he doesn't have accountability for his assy decisions the same way a human (or dog :-) does.  They have some culpability, but desparate people don't have the same degree of culpability.

But if bringing people into it is a way of getting help?  I find that pretty understandable.  Someone desparate enough to be trying suicide but not necessarily wanting to die doing a scatter-shot cry for help and not worrying about collateral damage seems pretty  understandable too.
  • I put some serious thought into it, but ultimately didn't attempt because I thought it would give my mom too much pleasure.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards