Catholic Weddings

Strange online precana question

Evoke what is for each of you a personal sacred sign in your life, something that gives you a sense 
of God's presence in your life. 

What does that even mean?  Aren't signs superstitious?  Aren't we supposed to NOT have superstitions?  (Yes I know I should just trust in the program, but I'm a little curious about this one).

Previously Alaynajuliana

Re: Strange online precana question

• In Response to Strange online precana question:
    [QUOTE]Evoke what is for each of you a personal sacred sign in your life, something that gives you a sense  of God's presence in your life.  What does that even mean?  Aren't signs superstitious?  Aren't we supposed to NOT have superstitions?  (Yes I know I should just trust in the program, but I'm a little curious about this one).
    Posted by Alaynajuliana[/QUOTE]

It sounds more like how we view sacramentals. Perhaps if someone is enrolled in the scapular, and wear it always. Or a special rosary and marian devotion.

God does give "signs" too. 
  • Fair point! I just think a lot of the questions/statements are a bit unclear, and I'm such a literal person I'm having issues with the structure.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• I don't think it has to be a sacramental, strictly speaking, as I read the question. Just something that you see that makes you think of God and thus aware of His presence.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This would be so much easier if they would ask me questions in colloquial terms.  How is it harder for them to just ask "When have you felt God's presence?"  

As some of you might now, I have had a hard time in my faith and am trying to come back to it, and this just frustrates me further.  Maybe I should have just signed up for traditional precana and driven two hours home for it with my FI.  I think I need a little more hands on help in that area.  It just makes me feel really defeated that I sometimes can't take their questions seriously, when I really want to move forward and be a better Catholic...

Previously Alaynajuliana

• In Response to Re: Strange online precana question:
    [QUOTE]This would be so much easier if they would ask me questions in colloquial terms.  How is it harder for them to just ask "When have you felt God's presence?"   As some of you might now, I have had a hard time in my faith and am trying to come back to it, and this just frustrates me further.  Maybe I should have just signed up for traditional precana and driven two hours home for it with my FI.  I think I need a little more hands on help in that area.  It just makes me feel really defeated that I sometimes can't take their questions seriously, when I really want to move forward and be a better Catholic...

Don't make it harder than it needs to be.  It sounds like some of the questions are a little odd, but it's not a test that you can fail :)

Is there a priest/deacon you can talk to more locally who might be able to give you a bit more guidance with your marriage prep?

SaveSave
  • I know I am making it harder, it is just so.much.easier. for FI to answer the questions!  

My parochial school priest promised us two or so years ago he would marry us, but when we spoke to him after we got engaged in September he was hesitant because he "doesn't do weddings anymore".  He knows us as a couple and I wouldn't be opposed to meeting with him at least for this even if it's not the official precana.  He is on sabatical until June, though I guess it's only a month away at this point!

Previously Alaynajuliana

[QUOTE]I know I am making it harder, it is just so.much.easier. for FI to answer the questions!   My parochial school priest promised us two or so years ago he would marry us, but when we spoke to him after we got engaged in September he was hesitant because he "doesn't do weddings anymore".  He knows us as a couple and I wouldn't be opposed to meeting with him at least for this even if it's not the official precana.  He is on sabatical until June, though I guess it's only a month away at this point!

Take a deep breath. It's not about comparing you and your fiance. It's about ensuring that 1) you are communicating about important stuff before you get married and 2) making sure that you have a proper understanding of what you're undertaking (and if there are still red flags, trying to stop things before they get out of hand).

FWIW, my H is terrible, and I mean terrible, at answering questionnaire-type things. He hates sitting down with a scripted set of questions and having to answer them and discuss them. I thrive anytime I can sit down and write something and don't mind going through discussion questions. We both make the most of situations like this, especially when we have to do it together. I tell you this because I understand where you're coming from. Really, just be confident in answering the best you can. That's all anyone is asking of you.

You've already taken the most important step of all. You've made the decision to grow in your faith. It might take time and patience, but it will happen. Talk to your priest friend when he gets back -- I'm sure he'll be happy to guide you as you come to your adult faith, and prepare for the Sacrament of Marriage. In the mean time, do the best you can. If you still have an opportunity to do an in-person PreCana and you think it will help you, I would encourage you to do so. Most of all, pray, pray, pray.

We're here for you in any way we can be helpful -- answering questions, having conversations, listening. *hugs*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    [QUOTE]I know I am making it harder, it is just so.much.easier. for FI to answer the questions!   [/QUOTE]

If its because you are literal, as you say, and he's answering from the conceptual standpoint, I can tell you you probably should both take the myerrs briggs and meet with a counselor and discuss your differences there.

This is part of the usefulness of the questions...how different you are at answering them. 

I know first hand what its like to be an ENFP trying to communicate with an ISTJ.

I try to make an anology that uses a "car" in the example. He wants to discuss the color and make of the car when it doesnt' have anything to do with the analogy.
  • FI and I saw Les Mis last night, and you could semi steal the line from the musical.  "To love another person is to see the face of God."  You could piggy back off that to say that you are reminded of God's presence is the way we love one another.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards