Favors

Family Tree Favor

I've been doing genealogy for about 13 years now which lead to me offering to do my FH's family tree for Christmas two years ago. I've done a lot of extensive work on the tree and I have included his brothers wife's family in the tree and every family member that I learn about I've done my best to add them to the tree. My question is what would you think about receiving a copy of your family tree as a favor and the question I struggle with the most is how to present it. I've thought about rolled parchment paper or something similar but I'm not sure. Some of the trees or branches of the tree are more detailed with war records, pictures and such so would it bother anyone if their branch wasn't as detailed as someone else's? Just an fyi the tree/branches go back 100+ years, some branches much further back, so this isn't a simple great great grandparents type of tree but one that we've both put our hearts and many hours into.

Re: Family Tree Favor

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to Re: Family Tree Favor:
    [QUOTE]I have actually worked on a lot of my close friends and coworkers family trees. We're not having a very large wedding and the majority of the people attending will either be in our trees or I have worked on them at some point in time. Thank you for the opinions because I've never had anything but a positive reaction before.
    Posted by ChellaTims[/QUOTE]

If there's even one guest invited that you don't already have family tree info on, you need to scrap this entirely.

Even if you were my bestest most awesome friend or coworker, I wouldn't be too into giving you personal information about my family history. It seems intrusive, IMHO.

Plus if your family has already seen your work on the family tree...how is this anything new to them? You're just making a copy and giving it to them at your wedding?

Maybe a framed copy  on your cardbox or cake table would be fun.
  • In Response to Re: Family Tree Favor:
    [QUOTE]I have actually worked on a lot of my close friends and coworkers family trees. We're not having a very large wedding and the majority of the people attending will either be in our trees or I have worked on them at some point in time. Thank you for the opinions because I've never had anything but a positive reaction before.
    Posted by ChellaTims[/QUOTE]

your friends and family are less likely to be blunt and tell you this is a bad idea, because they don't want to hurt your feelings.
  • No they don't have a copy of the tree. My FH moved from Milwaukee, WI to Birmingham, AL, where I'm from, and he has a large family all over the state of Wisconsin. He asked me to do his tree because both of his parents could not tell him anything about his family past his dads parents and his mothers grandparents. I think maybe 3 of his cousins and 1 of his uncles has access to the tree and have helped with the research. It's more than names and dates; it has immigration records, war service records back to the Revolutionary War, cause of death records, pictures and a variety of other records. I know some people could care less because they have no interest but it's something we're both passionate about and most of his family has been too. Another reason we wanted to do it as a favor (not the only favor though) is because the tree is online only and some of his family are very interested in it but don't have a way to access the tree online.
  • In Response to Re: Family Tree Favor:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Family Tree Favor : your friends and family are less likely to be blunt and tell you this is a bad idea, because they don't want to hurt your feelings.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I'm not a very sensitive person and it wouldn't bother me at all. Some people just don't care  to know their ancestory and that's fine with me. We all have our own passions. I've created or worked on over 23 family trees for my FI's, friends and coworkers.
    I asked this question because his family members that I have spoken with are interested in the family tree and the information it contains. I was asking more of if you were not aware that it had been created what would you think but mostly how should it be created/given out.
  • Can't you just give a copy of it to the people who have expressed interest separate from your wedding? You don't have to have an event to give a gift like that to someone. I think it's really cool and I would be interested if it was my family only. I think it could have been cute as a favor if it was small and just showed like you and FI and your parents, siblings, etc. on one tree to show your families merging, but something this extensive is only going to be interesting to some people. Plus you say it's your FI's family so what about yours? Would they get a copy of your FI's family tree or yours?

As for the people who don't know you've created it could you just spread it by word of mouth and if they're interested you can give them a copy?
  • I think this is a very unique and personal idea.  Even if people don't 'like' it, they will appreciate the thought and effort.  I think rolled up as a scroll would be just fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards