Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake cutting if you have cupcakes?

So I am really into the new cupcake trend, but everyone (family, friends, photographer) are asking about if I am doing a cake cutting.  How does that work?  If you have cupcakes do you just not do a "cutting?"

Re: Cake cutting if you have cupcakes?

• We're having cupcakes.  They'll displayed on a tier, but the top one will have a small cake on it for us to cut and save for our first anniversary (if we end up doing that).  I've been to other weddings with cupcakes and they did the same thing.  You can definitely do both if you want!
  • You can also cut a cupcake.

• daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    We just cut a cupcake. It was fine. 
  • alm&mdmalm&mdm member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We're doing a dessert table and the cake option will be cupcakes. But we are going to do the top tier of the display as a small cake so we can cut it. You can also cut a cupcake. Maybe get a pretty plate and regular knife.
  • We had a small cake on top of our cupcake tower for cutting. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with Stage.  I would just cut a cupcake or skip cutting the cake.  I would not have something there that you are not going to share with everyone.  
  • If you're doing cupcakes, cut a cupcake.
  • Personally, I don't care for the bride and groom cutting a small cake and then serving cupcakes, but that is because I prefer cake over cupcakes and I don't think the Bride and Groom should eat anything they aren't offering to their guests. If the bride and groom prefer cupcakes, that's fine. but to serve your guests cupcakes and then have a small cake just for you looks like you personally prefer cake but are feeding your guests a cheaper option to save money.I would cut a cupcake in half instead.

I never thought of it like that!  Crap, now I don't know what to do either, because that's a great point.  I see nothing wrong with cutting a cupcake, but we're having mini cupcakes, with enough for 2-3 per guest.  Will cutting a mini cupcake look ridicuous?  I'm really wondering what we should do now.

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to thread-jack you. 

• Every wedding I have ever been to that had cupcakes and small cake for cutting the small cake was used for the cake cutting photo op and then saved to eat on their one year anniversary.  I have never seen a couple cut two slices from the cake and sit down and eat it.

We had cupcakes with a small tier.  We cut the tier but ate the cupcakes.

Wittykitty - don't over think this.  Get the small tier to cut and then to prevent any of guests complaining that they had to eat a cupcake instead of a slice of cake have the small tier removed and wrapped up and eat the same cupcakes as your guests.  Honestly, as a guest I wouldn't care either way what you did as long as I got a cupcake on a plate with a fork...unless I had a few to many and then I wouldn't care about being dainty and I would just eat the sucker with my hands :)

• [QUOTE]I can't imagine ever going to a wedding and complaining that the bride and groom had cake, while I was served a cupcake. Are people really this petty? Cake vs cupcake is a far cry from eating steak while you serve your guests hot dogs.[/QUOTE] I never said I complained to others, but since I don't generally eat cupcakes at weddings due to the mess factor among other things, yes, I do side eye it a bit when the couple gets to eat something I would personally like to eat while I don't. And as far as cutting a cake for a photo op and not eating it, that just seems like a waste, personally. Since the point to making the first cut is to symbolize that it's okay to now cut up the cake and serve it, that just seems like a waste of money on a cake for a picture. Just my personal opinion.

The point of cutting the cake is to tell the guests that it is time to eat cake.  By cutting the top layer of a tier of cupcakes tells the guests that they are welcomed to come up and grab a cupcake.  Kind of the same way that cutting the traditional cake tells guests that they are welcomed to come up and grab a slice of cake.  The only difference is that there are cupcakes instead of slices of cakes.

And honestly, the "cutting of the cake" no matter what style of cake there is a photo op moment.  Period.  You don't have to have that moment to serve the cake or cupcakes to your guests.

• I agree the cutting of the cake is mainly a photo op/tradition thing, so that's part of why I think it's a little silly to want the trendiness of cupcakes while still having the cake cutting.  But whatever.  I'm not a very picky dessert eater, so I would be ok with a cupcake as my dessert.  I would never do this myself, though--I am pretty averse to the idea of having something available that is not being served to all your guests and doing traditions just for the sake of doing them.  
  • The original plan was the top tier cake would just be saved, we wouldn't even cut it for the "cake cutting" that is why I was wondering if I just skip a cutting or cut a cupcake. Also, I really don't think it is that big of a deal of a couple would eat a piece of cake.  Especially if it is from the same person who baked the cupcakes LOL. They are probably just as delicious.  Also, if cupcakes are "messy" use a fork.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    The point of cutting the cake is to tell the guests that it is time to eat cake.  By cutting the top layer of a tier of cupcakes tells the guests that they are welcomed to come up and grab a cupcake.  Kind of the same way that cutting the traditional cake tells guests that they are welcomed to come up and grab a slice of cake.  The only difference is that there are cupcakes instead of slices of cakes.
    And honestly, the "cutting of the cake" no matter what style of cake there is a photo op moment.  Period.  You don't have to have that moment to serve the cake or cupcakes to your guests.

I fully agree.  That is why I don't understand having a whole separate thing to cut when you can just cut a cupcake.  

Also, for H and I it wasn't about a photo op, it was about the meaning behind the ritual of cutting together and then feeding each other.  But I get that that is not the case for most.  However, I (like jessica) feel it's silly to get a cake literally JUST to cut into if you aren't going to eat it when you can just use a cupcake instead and get the exact same effect.  And if you ARE eating the cake, then I feel it is saying "I wanted cake for me, but didn't want to pay for cupcakes for everyone, so have the cheaper option."

As I said before, it's just my opinion and I'm not trying to personally insult anyone who did it.  I just think it's either silly or elitist.  My guess is that silly is more often the case, but both happen.

The top tier for the cupcake cake thing is to not only to cut but to also save for the anniversary.  I am not saying you can't also just cut a cupcake but if you wanted something to save for the first anniversary then I don't really see the big deal in getting a small 4-6 inch cake to have that photo op/traditional moment and then save the rest for later...it is like killing two birds with one stone.  Yes you will eat the small cake just not at your wedding like most people do with a traditional cake.  And if the point of a cake at a wedding is to eat it then why save the top tier at all, we may as well just throw that tradition out the window because the couple saving the top tier is preventing me from eating it by not serving it.  I am sorry but I really don't see the difference.  It is just cake for crying out loud so I think your use of the word elitist is a bit ridiculous.

ETA:  and the quote button is annoying and will not let me type in the normal comment area only in the quote area!

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Either cut the cupcake, have a tiny cake to cut, or skip it altogether.

• We are doing small cake for pics & the "cutting the cake" idea & I'm getting football themed cupcakes for the guests. I'm from MN & he's from Richmond, VA but a huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan. So I'm doing 40 MN Vikings cupcakes & 40 Steelers cupcakes. I kind of see what some of the people are saying about it being rude about not serving your guests something you aren't eating but also agree 110% that its not like you are giving them hot dogs & you & groom get filet mignon. I mean a cake & cupcakes are both made of pretty much the EXACT SAME BATTER & can potentially be decorated the same way or very close to it. And we are saving a good amount of $$ doing ours this way, even with specially designed cupcakes! Plus, I'm incorporating a little of both of "us" & don't feel bad or obligated to do grooms cake. I say do what makes most sense to you. If you have people who will tear you apart for getting cupcakes vs cake that will be guests at your wedding, I don't think that's right either. And cake can be equally as messy, spilled or dropped. Plus, we are going to get individual cupcake boxes so if people want to take theirs home they can. Not quite as easily done with slices of cake!
  • Does anyone know of the "Candy table" is in lue of the cake or is it a wedding gift to guest?
  • Does anyone know of the "Candy table" is in lue of the cake or is it a wedding gift to guest?
    I would not have a candy table as the main dessert item.  Some people don't like to eat that much candy.  I think most people that have a candy bar have it as their wedding favors.  Favors are a little something extra for the guests but are not required.  

Also, next time, I would recommend starting a new post instead of posting in someone else's thread about a different topic.  
    It's 'in lieu', not 'in lue'.

• It would be cute to just each pick a cupcake and feed each other one of the cupcakes I think that would be awesome!
  • We plan on doing a cupcake tree with a small 6" cake on the top for us to cut. The cake is going to be the same  as the cupcakes. I don't see what the big deal is. We will be eating anything different from our guests. Our piece will be displayed differently to allow for the tradition of "cake cutting"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards