Wedding Etiquette Forum

Did you/should you acknowledge receipt of RSVP cards?

So far, all the ones I've received have been from close friends and close family, so I've e-mailed, texted, or called them so we could squeeeee together. 

In general, should you let people know you received them? What if you don't really know the person, like a friend of the parents? Should you just let the parent know so they could share the info? Would you acknowledge only yeses or nos, too?

Re: Did you/should you acknowledge receipt of RSVP cards?

• I did, but my wedding was small (invited 52, 42 attended) and all my acknowledgements were very casual like yours.  I imagine it would be a lot harder for a bigger event.
  • It's not necessary to acknowledge that you've received them.  You will need to keep track so that you can reach out to those you did not receive to confirm their attendance.

I only acknowledged two of mine - the first one I got which was one of my BMs and one from a friend that wrote something funny on the card.

• I didn't acknowledge any RSVPs that I received.  And I would think it weird if the couple texted of called me to tell me they got my RSVP in the mail.  I would think "ah yeah you did because I filled the little card out, stuck it in the envelope and placed it in the mail."

The only time that you should call up people regarding the RSVP is if you hadn't received anything.

• In Response to Re: Did you/should you acknowledge receipt of RSVP cards?:
    [QUOTE]I didn't acknowledge any RSVPs that I received.  And I would think it weird if the couple texted of called me to tell me they got my RSVP in the mail.  I would think "ah yeah you did because I filled the little card out, stuck it in the envelope and placed it in the mail." The only time that you should call up people regarding the RSVP is if you hadn't received anything.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not just saying I received it. I am saying, "I'm so excited you can make it! I look forward to celebrating with you," or some form of that.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Did you/should you acknowledge receipt of RSVP cards?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did you/should you acknowledge receipt of RSVP cards? : Well, I'm not just saying I received it. I am saying, "I'm so excited you can make it! I look forward to celebrating with you," or some form of that.
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

But again I would most likely figure that out seeing as you invited me to your wedding.  You wouldn't have invited me if you didn't want me there right?  I just think doing that for every single RSVP you get is kind of over kill.  You can tell all your guests how happy you are that they came when you see them at the wedding.

I mean I was excited when people RSVP'd for my wedding but not that excited that I felt the need to call them and tell them how excited I was.

• We didn't tell people when we got their RSVPs. I agree with Maggie. I know you want me there and are excited to see me b/c you invited me. Follow-up just seems unnecessary here. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ditto Maggie...on everything.

Unnecessary, redundant communication.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• It's not necessary; we didn't let people know, unless they asked in person.
  • I think it's unnecessary to acknowledge receipt of every single RSVP. But I think it's perfectly normal to be excited about receiving them. I haven't sent my invitations out yet, but once I do and start receiving RSVPs I'm sure I'll text a few friends that I'm pumped they are going to make it and can't wait to party with them on the dance floor! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    It's unnecessary. Unless this is someone you speak with on a regular basis, there isn't any need to send an acknowledgement.

ETA: Even if you do speak with them regularly, it isn't necessary, but it wouldn't be weird if the topic came up in conversation, considering that you are probably discussing wedding related things occasinally anyway.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Agree with Maggie and the others - it's overkill.  If I was already talking to a friend or family member about something else I might have mentioned "oh hey I received your RSVP last week - so glad you guys can make it!'  But I wouldn't reach out to someone just to tell them you received it.  Especially if it's not even someone you know well.
  • rel1988rel1988 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    Ditto with all PP. Sheesh I have enough things to remember I'm glad I don't have to acknowledge every thank you!

If it's someone you are close with that are having a convo with I would mention it in passing and say how excited you are that they are coming. Otherwise, it seems like overkill.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • no need unless someone asks.  its sort of like thanking somoene for a thank you.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    It doesn't seem necessary to me.  If someone asks if you've received the cards, you can certainly reply yes or no, but I don't think you need to tell anyone unasked.
  • In Response to Re: Did you/should you acknowledge receipt of RSVP cards?:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Maggie...on everything. Unnecessary, redundant communication.
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I see it as being a ltitle like sending a thank you note for recieving a thank you note. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards