Registry and Gift Forum

Gift Cards and Registry

Is it okay to have a small registry just ot the things we need (which is not much!) and then to also suggest gift-cards? I don't know if suggesting "gift cards" is same thing as "asking for money".

Re: Gift Cards and Registry

• I've purchased gift cards plenty of times when they weren't listed on a registry. It's really a personal preference on the part of the guests. Those who want to get you a physical gift will do so even if you have gift cards on the registry. Those who want to get you a gift card will even if you don't put them on the registry.
  • I see no problem with clicking the little box for gift cards on the registry. It is a pretty big stretch to asking for money, and in fact I think it is more rude to indicate that you don't want gift cards, which is how it is phrased when the box is left unchecked.
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker

•  I agree that most people are aware of the giftcard option. So if they were going to go that way, or there wasn't much left on your registry, I'd think that would be an obvious option. I wouldn't add it to the registry though. Also, I know you mentioned your registry was small because you don't really need too much, but you could always add things as upgrades to what you already have. A nicer coffee maker, baking mixer, bedding, etc. Just a thought! :)

*J
  • I think that gift cards are perfectly acceptable.  When I see them on a registry, I do not consider this rude. 

There are even now sites like the honey moon fund where couples "register" for their honeymoon" and other make a donation to it.  My friend is doing this.  I say if this is okay, then adding gift cards to your registry is no big deal. 
  • In Response to Re: Gift Cards and Registry:
    [QUOTE]I think that gift cards are perfectly acceptable.  When I see them on a registry, I do not consider this rude.  There are even now sites like the honey moon fund where couples "register" for their honeymoon" and other make a donation to it.  My friend is doing this.  I say if this is okay, then adding gift cards to your registry is no big deal. 
    Posted by jna0941[/QUOTE]
     But it's not OK. Honeymoon registries are rude because you are basically asking for cash, minus the fee the company takes out. Registering for gift cards is also rude because it's similar to asking for cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards