Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Dogs or no dogs?

13»

Re: Dogs or no dogs?

• edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I'm in the "do it!" camp.  Our furry boy Gordon will be our ring bearer.  We are currently in "Grade 2" of obedience classes -- which will give him confidence to handle a different day and trust us to only ask things of him that he can do.  We have "uncle Phil" in the crowd, who has a similarly - tempermented pooch, who has volunteered to quietly take Gordon for a stroll during the ceremony if required.  Our neighbours are already getting a kick out of watching "Gordon in Training" at various places all around the neighbourhood.

we're getting married on the beach close to home so I understand our situation is maybe more flexible than a lot.  We've thought about this decision a lot, it's important to us that our boy be part of our day, and that we all be prepared enough that it doesn't come at the cost of freaking him out.
  • I wouldn't include them in the ceremony. They will likely get stressed out with so many strangers. In addition, there may be people with allergies or a fear of dogs. Plus there's the issue of who will watch them? 

We LOVE our dog! We think and talk about him constantly and he is always right by us. He is SUCH an important part of our life. We hired one of his dogsitters to bring him for photos with just me and my fiance and then take him home. 
  • My wedding would not be happening if my dogs were not in it.  People here talking about "allergies" is ridiculous.  I HIGHLY doubt that a dog walking past you down an aisle for 45 seconds is going to make anyone go into anaphylactic shock.  The dog isn't going to be sitting on their lap during the ceremony!  C'mon people.... 

If your dogs are as important to you as mine are to me and my fiance...you'll regret not having them there.  Even if arranging aftercare for them is difficult...it will be a worthwhile memory that you will cherish long after they are gone.

• Jen4948 said:
    In Response to Re: Dogs or no dogs?:
    [QUOTE]I've been to a wedding where there were 2 dogs involved in the ceremony.  It was only natural because my friend is a Vet and animals are her life.  Her dogs are her children.  They had it set up really well to have two "dog wranglers"  (kid you not, that was in the program) and the dogs were the ring bearers.  It went off without a hitch. If your dogs are your family, do what you want, it's YOUR wedding.  There are ways to make it work.  And seriously?  Just make sure they are properly walked if there is a concern about them deficating.  Are the dogs really going to be that close to the crowd other than a brief second while walking down the aisle to warrant the allergy concern?  If they are nervous, change your plans at the last second, but I have to disagree with all the other "nays".  LIfe is too short, do what you want. 
    Posted by glennajoy[/QUOTE]

No, don't "do what you want" at the expense of the people you want to take time, money, and energy out of their lives to attend a one-day out of yours event.  It stops being "YOUR EVENT" the minute you ask a single other person to get involved.  People take priority over dogs.

I'm pretty sure someone you pay (like a dogwalker who is already familiar with your pups) would NOT mind getting money and free delicious food to play with your dogs at a wedding.....  "doing what you want at the expense of other people"....AKA hiring someone???

• My wedding would not be happening if my dogs were not in it.  People here talking about "allergies" is ridiculous.  I HIGHLY doubt that a dog walking past you down an aisle for 45 seconds is going to make anyone go into anaphylactic shock.  The dog isn't going to be sitting on their lap during the ceremony!  C'mon people.... 

If your dogs are as important to you as mine are to me and my fiance...you'll regret not having them there.  Even if arranging aftercare for them is difficult...it will be a worthwhile memory that you will cherish long after they are gone.

You may think it's ridiculous, but some people's allergies are indeed sensitive enough to have a reaction even several feet away. Allergens don't just stay put; they travel through the air.

I find it interesting (and frustrating) that most of the pro-dog people on this thread are simply waving away the very valid reasons people have put forward. I am just plain scared of dogs, but not many people would know that about me. It's impossible to be sure all of your guests are okay with them and not allergic. (And people are not going to say to your face that it's a bad idea or that they will be uncomfortable around your dog at your wedding)
  • edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Sorry, briannacihi, but you're totally wrong about that.

My mother is intensely allergic to dogs.  She absolutely cannot be around anything with fur or feathers, and she WILL go into anaphylactic shock if one is nearby.  My brother and I, when we were kids, had to pass up, to our sadness, the opportunity to have a dog which we would have loved.

Also, I live in an apartment where my landlord does not allow pets.

So even if I had a dog, I love my mother and other allergic people I know, and their needs not to be overwhelmed by the presence of dogs have to take priority at my wedding.  If you honestly don't mind that there might be such people at your wedding sneezing and having other allergic reactions that could put them in the hospital at your wedding, well, that says more about your character than anything else in this forum.

• Of all the topics to bring out the wackos, I wouldn't think it would be about dogs. And the DDs? Weird. Why ask a question and then flip out when people answer it? Just because people don't like your idea, and actually tell you that, does not mean they are telling you that you are a stupid, evil snatch who does not deserve to live. They (and I) just don't think weddings are good places for animals. It's not personal. It will be ok.

Anniversary

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Maybe I am a bad dog "Mom" but I love my dogs way too much to subject them to a wedding and expect them to perform at a wedding (because, be honest, it is performing). My lab is field trained and can compete in a "ring" in front of an audience. He is also a "dock dog" and competes in those events. And it is WORK. I am not relaxed, my fiancée is not relaxed....we are completely focused on making sure our dog is in the right "place" to compete and perform. I would never want that on my wedding day! It is WORK...for us and our dog...to do these things.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards