South Carolina-Charleston

Just got engaged!

Hello ladies! I just got engaged last night :) I live in Charleston so of course I'll be getting married here - just not sure exactly where yet. We're thinking March or April of 2014. Where do I start ;)

-Katrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just got engaged!

• Congrats! Happy planning :)
  • Congratulations!!  Decide your budget then pick a venue!  They book up fast in Charleston especially in those months.  Then you can breathe for awhile!!  :)
  • edited May 2013
    Yay!   Book ALL your vendors fast!  We just got married last month and I booked most of them the day I picked my venue and still had issues!  Any questions, just ask!
  • Leigh Webber is a phenom photographer - you can find her info at The Wedding Row, which specializes in only the top vendors in Charleston.  We also hired our DJ who is on that site too. 
    T
  • Where did you get married? I'm considering Creek Club at I'ON and Daniel Island Club.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow - GREAT choices!

We ended up at my fiancees uncle's home, but both Creek Club and Daniel Island Club were on our shortlist as well.  I don't think you can go wrong!  

For us, it wan't a cost thing, because we spent almost as much getting everything set up anyway. (Who knew I'd be renting a tent!)

Any other suggestions - just ask!
  • Did anyone have any luck in negotiating price with the venue or any other vendors?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not really.  

Most of the vendors I worked with did talk to me about my budget, but in the end, they had pretty straightforward and set pricing.  

I didn't really get into that with the venue choices, having opted for a private home.  However, from what I saw, pricing is pretty set for them as well.  I don't mind this though and neither should you - because it means we all get treated equally and fairly.

It never hurts to ask, but if you are looking at those venues, and if you hire top end vendors, the last thing you want to do is to appear like you don;t appreciate all they offer  in return.  I'm not saying let yourself pay too much, but it is a delicate line.

I remember the stage you are at in planning!  But now that I've come through it, I realized what the top vendors can really do for you.  There are some types you definitely do not want to scrimp on! 

• Unfortunately, in the Charleston wedding scene, there isn't a whole lot of room to negotiate. We did negotiate our band's price down, but that was more of a chance encounter than anything else. 
    Venues probably won't work with you, especially not the popular ones. Others will be willing to work within your price range, florists, bar services/caterers, if you provide it.
  • Unfortunately, in the Charleston wedding scene, there isn't a whole lot of room to negotiate. We did negotiate our band's price down, but that was more of a chance encounter than anything else. 
    Venues probably won't work with you, especially not the popular ones. Others will be willing to work within your price range, florists, bar services/caterers, if you provide it.
    If you don't mind me asking, what band did you go with? That is one of my next things to book and I am all over the place (and don't have a lot to spend here)! 
  • I used Pinnacle Light And Sound DJs and they were amazing. I mean honestly, really really amazing. I found them on TheWeddingRow.com, but you can google them too.   Really upscale and detailed.

We looked at using a band but worried about them taking breaks (slowing down the party) and I am the type that even worried about the singer getting sick or having allergies or something.  Seriously, all this planning and then have the band under the weather?  No thanks! I also wanted a strict play list of lots and lots of different music for the older and younger people - something they did perfectly. Bands are pretty limited in their repertoire I think.

Anyway - my two cents. Good luck!
  • kballance said:
    Unfortunately, in the Charleston wedding scene, there isn't a whole lot of room to negotiate. We did negotiate our band's price down, but that was more of a chance encounter than anything else. 
    If you don't mind me asking, what band did you go with? That is one of my next things to book and I am all over the place (and don't have a lot to spend here)! 
    Unknowingly responded to you on a different post! Charleston Groove Factory is who we went with, they're repped by Other Brother Entertainment, who has a bunch of bands, they're awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards