Offbeat Weddings

It's all about Offbeat Brides!!

2»

Re: It's all about Offbeat Brides!!

• Since I think I'm officially an offbeat bride now, I'll jump in!

What is your name? FI's name?
    Emily and Nick

Your ages? I turned 29 on Monday and he is 28

Wedding date? Not 100% set, but looking to be April 13th or 27th, 2013

How long have you been with your FI? 4 1/2 years

Where do you live? Omaha

Where are you getting married? Venue?  Somewhere in town.  This is the problem we're having right now.  O.o  The only rule is not a church.

How did you meet your FI?  I joined a guild on World of Warcraft that he was an officer of and we found out we lived in the same city.  We started hanging out and eventually started dating.

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding?  Does "finally getting married" count?  But to be quirky, I'm looking forward to being really creative and a little bit geeky.  Nick told me "I don't care if it's bad, and I don't care if it's overboard, and I don't care if not everyone likes it, just don't make it BORING."

What are your wedding colors/theme?  We're both crazy passionate about video gaming, so I want to incorporate that.  Currently planning to do Red/Blue/Green as a Super Mario theme or just Red/White as a Nintendo theme.

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase?  Budget willing, we will have a custom Mario and Peach wedding cake topper.  Nick came up with the idea and there is a local guy who makes very good video game toppers.

What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding?  I haven't figured everything out yet.  But I'm currently in love with a felt Fireball Flower bouquet (again with the Mario) that I saw on etsy and plan to at least get for a tossing bouquet.  I also plan to use "video game music that doesn't sound like video game music" for many parts of the ceremony.

What do you do for a living/dream job?  Right now I'm a cake decorator at a local department store.  I would LOVE to be a cake decorator at my own store, or at least at a cake-specialty shop.  My other dream job?  Quitting a day job and making money from arts and crafts and the like.

Any random thing you want to share with us?  I'm secretly scared that my parents will not go for our geeky Nintendo wedding, since they're largely footing the bill.

Share your proposal story.
    So one Saturday after work we were playing Diablo 3 and I was grumbling about gear and not having enough gold and the usual.  And he says, "Oh, by the way, I want to show you this ring I got," and starts shuffling through his character's inventory.  I got up to look and still can't find it.  Then he stops to think for a second and he pulls the engagement ring out of his pocket.
    It was so... geeky.  My mom doesn't understand (she can sometimes fall on the "video games ruin lives" end of the spectrum).  But it was so much like him. He's a quiet person who doesn't like a lot of attention.  A big show at a restaurant or a park or some other public place just wouldn't be right.
  • What is your name? FI's name? Jen and Steve

Your ages?  36 and 46 (we'll be 37 & 47 when we wed)

Wedding date? (also post this info in the Wedding Dates thread)   5-6-13; Yes, it is a Monday, so my bff from AK can be in our wedding!

How long have you been with your FI?  Met 2 years ago this August, been officially together for 13 months.

Where do you live? Central IL

Where are you getting married?   In front of Lake Falls Waterfall at Mathiessen State Park; Reception is going to be outdoors in my parents huge yard.

How did you meet your FI?   When he started driving a school bus for the tiny country school I was driving for at the time.  Smile

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding?  Hearing our favorite song, Third Day's God of Wonders, played in the canyon in front of the falls - and marrying my soulmate.

What are your wedding colors/theme?  Wedding colors are our faves - red/white/blue;

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase?  Love our cake topper, which is a pair of frogs (I LOVE frogs!) and also my Jambu Shoreline Shoes - hiking sandals in red and sliver. 

What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding?  Walking down the steps to the waterfall together (after our wedding party is in), to God of Wonders.  Gives me chills to think of it.

What do you do for a living/dream job?    We are both school bus drivers, but I want to go to school to be a nutritionist.  Steve also does taxes and accounting, and runs an online hobby business.

Any random thing you want to share with us?    #1 - This is a TOTALLY DIY wedding, since it is the second for both of us. I am making my dress out of white eyelet, and also my daughter's.  I am making my Jr. Bridesmaid's dress, our invitations, save the dates, programs, centerpieces for our reception...    #2 - We are each having our 2 bff's stand up with us, my goddaughter is our junior bridesmaid, my 9 yr old son is our junior groomsman, my 5 yr old daughter is our "flower petal girl" as she says, and my 6 yr old son is our "official frog and snake wrangler". lol  Hope we can get him to carry the book with the rings!   
    #3 -  Due to all of my daughter's life threatening food allergies, ALL food served at our laid back outdoor reception will be free of dairy, wheat/gluten, shellfish, soy, nuts, corn, egg, sunflower, safflower, sesame, honey,  palm, and coconut.  My friend who is opening a catering business is going to do our food, using my recipes.   It will be SO WONDERFUL not to worry about a reaction on our big day!!!!

Share your proposal story.   We LOVE to hike, and make sure to visit a state park in every state we travel to.  (Our honeymoon will be in a state park in IN)   We were hiking in Starved Rock and playing in the falls to refresh from the heat.  As I was totally submerged under Tonti Canyon Falls, Steve told me I was beautiful and he loved me and asked if I would please make it forever. 
  • What is your name? FI's name? Ambre & Dylan

Your ages? 24 & 24

Wedding date? May 31, 2014

How long have you been with your FI? 3 years

Where do you live? Portland, Maine

Where are you getting married? Venue? Still searching right now, but hoping for our favorite hiking spot or near the ocean where we grew up.

How did you meet your FI? We've been going to school together since elementary school, took classes together in high school (where we both had relationships with other folks), and 3 years after graduating he got in touch with me online.

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding? Getting all dolled up with my best friend and spending every day after that with him.

What are your wedding colors/theme? Right now we're thinking vintage/ videogames/ filmmaker theme. Rainbow colored

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase? Not sure yet, probably wont be buying things for a while, but I am looking forward to doing a very creative food spread with an outdoor woodfire pizza oven, mac and cheese bar, and nacho bar.

What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding? I'll tell you when I get that far :-)

What do you do for a living/dream job? I am a stay at home mom to our awesome son. I'm still trying to figure out what my dream job is.

Any random thing you want to share with us? I have always been a laid back girl and very much a tomboy, and not one of those girls who plans her wedding when shes 8. I had always thought I wouldn't get married or it would be very simple, and now I'm really excited to throw a fun , strange, party for all the people we love.

Share your proposal story. This past June, while vacationing at Disney world, Dylan and I went on a "date night" and ended up at the Disney boardwalk. He kept saying he wanted me to see the beach, so he walked me to the false beach by the Yacht club resort and we sat on the swing. He started telling me how much he loved me and then got down on one knee in the sand. The first thing I said after he asked me if we could be together for the rest of our lives was, "you're a sh**" because I was laughing so hard and couldn't think. He then said "you never answered my question" and I yelled "OF course!!"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_its-offbeat-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:5f7cabab-5b86-435f-a753-f9c0e748294aPost:ce419854-8ed2-49e1-a07c-168b36aa74e2">It's all about Offbeat Brides!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Questions from JessieR, SereJane and uneek. What is your name? FI's name? (sharing this is optional) Your ages? Wedding date? (also post this info in the Wedding Dates thread) How long have you been with your FI? Where do you live? (optional) Where are you getting married? Venue? How did you meet your FI? What are you most looking forward to with the wedding? What are your wedding colors/theme? What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase? What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding? What do you do for a living/dream job? Any random thing you want to share with us? Share your proposal story.<div>Posted by uneek1323[/QUOTE]

</div><div>Question 1: Rachel and Dave</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 2: 23 (almost 24) and 26</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 3: 11/03/13, it's a Sunday, and it's Daylight Savings Sunday. Woot for an extra hour on our wedding day!</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 4: since May 2011</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 5: Virginia</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 6/7: Local country club for ceremony and reception</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 8: Match.com!</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 9: Being done with planning and getting to marry my fiance (cliche I know, but I really do not like planning this thing, and I can't wait to marry Dave).</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 10: Colors are Pink and Blue, don't have a theme except maybe "Our Favorite Things".  Those colors are our favorites.  Other favorites included are: NASCAR, Precious Moments, cake, country music, certain foods, and probably some others I'm forgetting.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Question 11: Our STD is freakin' awesome.  My fiance designed it in Photoshop after he saw a similar one online.  See my signature for a picture of it.  It's an awesome magnet that I doubt any of our guests will forget after they get it. </div><div>
    </div><div>Question 12: Two words- PINK DRESS</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 13: Currently a medical student, my plan is to become a forensic pathologist</div><div>
    </div><div>Question 14: My dress has pockets!</div><div>
    </div><div>Proposal Story: Dave bought the ring a couple of weeks before he proposed, which I knew about, just didn't know when he was going to pull it out.  He had planned on proposing Christmas morning.  Then one day, a friend came over to study together and then helped me pick out an outfit for our medical school ball the next day.  While I was in the other room changing, Dave showed my friend the ring (I thought they were having a really weird conversation about pants).  He didn't have time to hide it again, so he put it in his jacket pocket.  When she left, we all went downstairs, Dave still wearing his jacket.  At this point, he hung his jacket up in the kitchen.  Later that night, we were cuddled on the couch, watching the NASCAR truck series season finale.  We started talking about life, love, and getting married, which we had talked about multiple times before.  Next thing I know, he's holding me even tighter and proposing.  I jokingly say "but you don't even have the ring".  To which he says "yes I do".  He then runs to the kitchen, grabs the ring, comes back to the couch, and puts it on my hand.  I was speechless.  He ended up telling me that night about his original plan, but said that moment just felt right.  And I couldn't be happier about how it worked out.  The proposal was just so us- no kneeling, no cliches, more practical and less romantic.  I love to share the story- can you tell? Lol.  </div>
    Anniversary
  • What is your name? FI's name? (sharing this is optional)

Ashley & Steve

Your ages?
    Me: 22 Him: 25

Wedding date? (also post this info in the Wedding Dates thread)

August 24, 2013

How long have you been with your FI?
    5 years and counting

Where do you live? (optional)

Canada

Where are you getting married? Venue?

Niverville Manitoba Canada

How did you meet your FI?

He was actually dating the older sister of one of my friends. We both happened to be at their house one evening and we just hit it off. 6 months later both of us single we randomly met again and the rest is history :)

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding?

seeing him smile

What are your wedding colors/theme?

green and grey, no theme really

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase?

I will be walking down the isle to ACDC and am beyond excited.

What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding?

Walking down the isle to ACDC, he and I are wearing Converse sneakers

What do you do for a living/dream job?

Human Resource Management

Any random thing you want to share with us?

We are avid hikers, snowmobilers, dirt bikers.

• What is your name? FI's name? Anastasia and Nathan Your ages? 28/33 Wedding date? 11/2/13 How long have you been with your FI? 4 years Where do you live? Southern CA Where are you getting married? A little german place in Huntington Beach called Old World village. Its huge for oktoberfest. And has a beautiful patio and gazebo. How did you meet your FI? we met through mutual friends and just kept talking every friday at their house and hooked up 6 months later. What are you most looking forward to with the wedding?besides marrying the love of my life, seeing all of our family. all of our extended families live out of state. What are your wedding colors/theme? day of the deat theme with the colors of purple, black and teal What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase? my wedding dress. i found the alfred angelo cinderella dress on ebay for 120.00 an its my size except in the bust but im used to that What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding? i love our theme. its very us, but aside from that, its a diy wedding. What do you do for a living/dream job? right now im a stay at home mom and seamstress during naptime and bedtimes. my dream job is either being a history teacher or a movie costumer. Any random thing you want to share with us? I am full of random. I have a lot of things to share but most are too long to really post.
  • What is your name? FI's name? Yenni and Jon

Your ages? 24

Wedding date? Oct 4th 2014

How long have you been with your FI? overall 1.5 years (break in the middle cause I was dumb...)

Where do you live? Worcester MA

Where are you getting married? Venue? Sturbridge MA

How did you meet your FI? We met at college through mutual friends in the early days of freshman year

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding? Seeing friends and family I only get to see on special occasions

What are your wedding colors/theme? Gem tones/Peacock colors, Hunter green in particular

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase? Don't have one yet

What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding? Video Game inspired tables

What do you do for a living/dream job? We're both in Games

Any random thing you want to share with us? Having to combat my family's super traditional senses to add a flair of us to our wedding is proving harder than we thought

We were on long island, having just delt with a variety of pests, that day was almost the end of the flea infestation, we decided to do a smores fire, and he put a log on it where he had carved into it Yenni Will You Marry Me? but the damn thing wouldn't light, or stay lit, and the camera a friend was using completely borked so we had to re-take shots of the proposal like 4 times, and we looked like crap because we were wearing the only clothing not covered in flea-spray we had, his shirt being the kicker where it said "I'm tired of slitting the throats of people who call me a violent Psychopath" and I had on crazy huge sweatpants and a super tight top (i'm overweight, it wasn't flattering at all). 
  • SavvyGeekSavvyGeek member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    What is your name? FI's name? (sharing this is optional)
    Bride: Tracie
    Groom: Andrew

Your ages?

Wedding date? (also post this info in the Wedding Dates thread)
    5/23/15

How long have you been with your FI?
    6 months

Where do you live? (optional)
    Minneapolis

Where are you getting married? Venue?
    Right now we're leaning toward Nicollet Island Inn.

How did you meet your FI?
    We met on OKCupid.

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding?
    The nerdery of it all.

What are your wedding colors/theme?
    Black, Silver, Blue and Purple.

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase?
    Our collection of Star Wars memorabilia.

What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding?
    The entire thing. We're having a Star Wars themed wedding!

What do you do for a living/dream job?
    Tracie: Currently a full time student; working toward a paralegal degree.
    Andrew: QA Analyst in mixed multimedia.

Any random thing you want to share with us?
    We're total nerd/geeks. I mean; come on... we're having a Star Wars themed wedding.

I promise to share the official proposal story once it happens.  Andrew is working on his secret project for that right now.
  • What is your name? Melissa and Russ 
    Your ages? 33, 34
    Wedding date? 10/13/2013 (tentative)
    How long have you been with your FI? a little more than 2 years
    Where do you live? Boston area
    Where are you getting married? Venue? Sudbury, MA
    How did you meet your FI? Met through my best friend over 10 years ago at a Red Sox game. Reconnected again a few years ago.

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding? being married and celebrating with our friends

What are your wedding colors/theme? not sure yet

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase? new gown!

What is your favorite offbeat detail of your wedding? we are having an 18th century ceremony
    What do you do for a living/dream job? I am a civil engineer. I design roads.
    Any random thing you want to share with us? We are Revolutionary War reenactors, so we are planning on having our ceremony at an event.
    On our 2 year anniversary my boyfriend took me to a park that we like to visit. We went out on a secluded dock and he got down on one knee and proposed.
  • megdj12megdj12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    What is your name? FI's name? Meg & Lee

Your ages?19 & 25

Wedding date? Oct. 4, 2014

How long have you been with your FI?1.5 years but we have been best friends for 5 years:)

Where do you live? Colorado Springs, CO

Where are you getting married? Venue?Probably a friend's Family's ranch:D

How did you meet your FI?I met him in Hot Topic at an instore show. He was a mall cop at the time and as soon as the music stopped he turned to me and introduced himself.

What are you most looking forward to with the wedding?Finally being married and having all our close friends with us.

What are your wedding colors/theme?Black and Purple

What is your favorite wedding planning idea/purchase?Im super into different center pieces right now. I want everything to be very non- tradish

What is your favorite offbeat deatil of your wedding?the entire wedding party including myself and FI are covered in tats:) Thinking of adding it into our theme.

What do you do for a living/dream job?Restaurant manager/ but id love to be a musician

Any random thing you want to share with us?Gonna have a tea length dress:D

Share your proposal story.We had already bought the ring and he forgot where we put it so he asked me where it was and when I looked up he was getting down on one knee:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards