Not Engaged Yet

Anniversaries galore, and some questions

Is it just me, or are there like a thousand anniversaries crammed into a couple months right now for those of us on NEY? BF's and mine is on June 1, and we will have been together for five years. :) So yay for us, and congratulations to everyone else who recently celebrated or is celebrating soon!

We usually don't go absolutely crazy celebrating. Early in our relationship BF and I admitted that we both suck at giving gifts, so thankfully that pressure was off pretty quick. We just go out for a nice dinner, I make a fancy dessert, and give each other homemade cards. For the past year, BF has kind of slacked on the cards because he is a perfectionist but not the most "creative." All I want to hear is that he still loves me, lol, but he always wants to say something new and original, which is hard after five years of special occasions together. I am not expecting a card, but not sure if I want to make him one or just make an extra-fancy dessert for him or something more along those lines. Thoughts/suggestions?

For the heck of it, some questions:
  1. When is yours?
  2. Is it important to you to celebrate or no?
  3. What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst?
  4. Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration?

Re: Anniversaries galore, and some questions

• 1.) October 25th. We started dating around a ten-day period or so, and I took the dates and put them into a random number generator I found on Google, applied a couple basic statistical generators ... and that's what it came up with.
    2.) We acknowledge it. We don't really celebrate it at all.
    3.) I'd just like an anniversary where our lives are a little more quiet than they have been over the last few years. Something where we're both feeling happy and stable. Mostly that's my fault, and I've been working on it.
    4.) Romantic vacation. Take me to Rome. I want to throw a coin in the Trevi fountain and see the Colosseum. Or let me backpack the American Civil War battlefields (except Gettysburg because that's a tourist trap. Let me go to the Wilderness instead).
  • We've never really celebrated our dating anniversary, partly because it's hard to assign a date to it and partly because it just never seemed like a big deal. One of us would inevitably acknowledge it casually each fall, but it was always just like "hey, I think it's been another year-ish. High five!"

So I'm excited to have a wedding anniversary to celebrate on June 9. We won't do anything super exciting because he'll be balls deep in finals stuff, but it'll be fun to eat the top tier of our cake and exchange gifts. I ordered his present last night and I'm pumped about it.

(I only vaguely answered your questions here. Sorry for being so unorganized in my thoughts.)
    1. When is yours?  Well, our first date was October 24th and we were pretty much exclusively dating from that point forward, but BF didn't ask me to officially be his GF until December 5th due to some drunken Halloween rambling I did about not being a relationship person hahaha.  We acknowledge both, and I usually base how long we've been together on our first date.
    2. Is it important to you to celebrate or no?  It's not really important, but we usually do something like go to dinner or take a trip.
    3. What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst?  The best anniversary "date" was our trip to Disney World for first anniversary.  I can't remember a bad one, but I also can't remember what we did for our 2nd anniversary at all, so we'll go with that one haha. 
    4. Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration?  Hmmm...maybe a Caribbean vacation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    1. When is yours? Answered, but June 1.
    2. Is it important to you to celebrate or no? Kinda answered. I do find it important to celebrate, but BF doesn't (he gets excited that we're together every day, lol), so we compromise by doing something a little out of the ordinary but not going berserk. We always at least get good food, but sometimes we take a day trip somewhere too. Can't do that this year because of school, though.
    3. What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst? Last year was both. We went on amazing weekend trip to a B & B near Ocean City a couple weeks beforehand, and we had the best time there! When we got back and had our actual day-of kind of celebration, there was a tropical storm in the area and we couldn't go out like we planned. That was also the first time BF didn't make me a card for a special occasion, so I was like, "...BF, what's the deal?" I was kind of resentful about it, which I regret now, but at the time I was frustrated because all of his friends buy jewelry and flowers and stuff for their SOs; meanwhile, all I wanted was a damn piece of paper. After he explained that he felt like he wasn't creative enough and he couldn't think of anything to say that was new or different from before, I was able to change my perspective on the issue because it wasn't like he just didn't care.
    4. Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration? One where neither of us is in school, for starters. I like what we do right now. After I graduate and we're both working, I would like it if we just celebrated by taking a mini-vay and spending that time together doing something different from the everyday.
  • When is Yours?
    Our anniversary is September 28th. I don't remember exactly how we chose that date because we just sort of fell into dating. We don't know what our official first date was or when we decided to become official so we just decided it was around September 28th. And this year we will have been together for 5 years!

Is it important to you to celebrate or no?

It's important to me to celebrate but it doesn't have to be a big celebration.

What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst?
    We don't exchange gifts for our anniversary but the best anniversary was probably last year. BF and I drove up to this beautiful, tiny mountain town and spent the day walking around and just enjoying each others company. And then we went out for a nice dinner when we got back. It was perfect :)
    The worst is the one where we were doing long distance. It just sucked to be away from each other, especially because it was our first anniversary but we couldn't do anything other than a Skype date.

Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration?

Hmmm...a romantic vacation would be nice. BF and I have never gone on a vacation that was just the two of us, we are always with friends or family. It would be wonderful to get away!

1. Like PPs have said, we met last year around Feb/March and we started dating soon after we met like a couple weeks so we never really pin pointed a special date for when we officially started dating. We both just say, "hey guess what? I think it has been a year, let's cook a fancy dinner or go out."
    2. Well since our wedding anniversary will be taking place on November 23rd from now on, we will most definitely celebrate that every year. I think it's important to reflect upon the day together.
    3. Well...since we have been together for less than 2 years we have only celebrated one anniversary together and we don't really do gifts, we just do something together whether that be taking a cooking class or going dancing. My favorite was taking our last cooking class on Christmas. That was the best one.
    4. To go on a really cool vacation somewhere outside the country. I would die if we went to France...like I would literally go insane and probably just fall over and cry tears of joy.
  • CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    @bethsmiles, your mountain town date is exactly the best kind! BF and I always seem to go on hiking/walking dates around Valentine's Day for some reason, and those are some of my favorites. There's something about being outside and whatnot that is extra meaningful.

It's interesting how many folks picked a day as their anniversary (@KeptInStitches, I know BF would appreciate your methodology - very exacting!). I'd probably be in the same boat, but BF decided we were official from day one, so he remembered the date. I was surprised when he referred to me as his girlfriend so soon - I figured we would officially declare that we were a couple at some point after a few dates - but since we had been such close friends before I felt comfortable with it.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    1. When is yours? Dating wise its Sept 19th I remember this cause I had just got back from Hawaii and he asked me to make it official.  Our FIRST wedding anniversary is June 21st.  Which is the summer solstice, can't wait to celebrate!
    2. Is it important to you to celebrate or no? I don't expect a great big party but a nice night out to enjoy ourselves would be nice.  I think for our first anniversary as a married couple I will take him SCUBA diving at a nearby island.
    3. What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst?  Best date or gift was a whole day spent on an adventure, riding bikes up the coast and having a delicious dinner with an ocean view.  I really don't have a worst.
    4. Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration? Dream you say..... that be taking off a week or two and flying to the south pacific to stay at this place Dedon Island
  • @motoLyn June 21st is my parents' anniversary!  They've had a long and happy marriage, so I'd say it's a lucky day :)

My mother desperately wants me to get married on their anniversary, but I think I may have to disappoint her!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1. When is yours? Our dating anniversary is Dec. 1st. BUT we're getting married in EXACTLY 1 MONTH TODAY. I'm not excited or anything...

2. Is it important to celebrate? Not really. We both usually forget until a couple days after. Then we plan to go to dinner sometime that weekend and both get each other cards.

3. What is the best anniversary/date gift you remember? Worst? FI took me on a romantic picnic a couple years back. We'd gone on a hike together and then he asked me to go hang out for a bit on my own. When I got back, he'd set up a beautiful gourmet picnic (cheeses, fruit, wine, bread, meats...) right by the river. I'll never forget it. I don't know if I've got a worst...

4. Speculate - What would be your dream anniversary celebration? I'd love to return to our wedding venue B&B for a milestone anniversary. It's about 7 hours out of town. We'd reminisce over our wedding day, spend time in town and hopefully purchase a beautiful photograph from our favorite local landscape photographer for our home.

• @allusive007 - OMG! One month!! That is so exciting!

• I know! I didn't recognize you at first with your new siggy Beth! I need to go check to see if Tarra did mine. I forgot all about it!!!
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    When is yours? 
    Our dating anniversary is June 9th, it'll be 6 years which is crazy! 

Not really. We usually give each other a card with sweet stuff written inside and go out to dinner.

We don't do gifts so I don't have an answer for this! 

I think in the future, we'll make a bigger deal about our anniversary now that we're married. I'd really like to go to Hawaii at some point for our anniversary. I think that'd be romantic. 

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I cannot believe that @elle1036 and @motolyn are getting ready to celebrate their 1 year anniversaries already! 

Also, @allusive007, ONE MONTH?! How is everything going? How are you feeling?

• When is yours? 
    December 8.  Our first date was December 15, but we opted to make it the 8th since my birthday is the 14th. 

Yes.  Not in a huge way, but I prefer to spend an anniversary either staying in and doing something, such as one of our Chopped dates, or going out to dinner and then coming home to wine and sex.  Last year I was working, this year I will be working again.  :(

We gifted each other Birchbox subscriptions last year.  That was awesome.

I'd really like to go away for a weekend.  We are both really busy, and right now, both have roommates.  I find that more often than not, I'm craving uninterrupted us time.  So, I think a dream anniversary would be a weekend away.  If funds are unlimited, somewhere in Europe.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    buggle2 said:
    We never celebrated dating anniversaries, so I'm excited to celebrate wedding ones. Since we've been married, we've been celebrating monthly and weekly anniversaries much in the way Elle and her H celebrated dating anniversaries. H likes to point out when it's "weekiversary" (we got married on a Tuesday), which I absolutely adore <3
    That is SO cute!

1. When is yours? our dating anniversary is 10/10
    2. Is it important to you to celebrate or no? Kind of sort of
    3. What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst? The best was the new ipod engraved with a quote from the princess bride' "This is true love do you think this happens every day" Worst none really
    4. Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration? It doesn't matter last year we just went to dinner, the year before we spent the night in NYC at a real nice hotel and went out to a nice restaurant for dinner.

Anniversary

• RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    @bethsmiles - I LOVE your new sig pic, LOVE!  :)

When is yours?
    September 5th, and we are coming up on 5 years of dating this fall.

Is it important to you to celebrate or no?  We usually do something special, but not necessarily expensive. 

What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst?  One year, we did an antique train ride and hike around the state park where it originated from.  That was a lot of fun!  I don't think we have had a bad anniversary yet.

Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration?  Either the Galapagos Islands or New Zealand for at least 10 days.

• @RWS2011 - Thanks! It's a crossover of my two biggest obsessions so I had to use it!

1. When is yours? October 18, 2009. We're going to be getting married on October 19, 2013.
    2. Is it important to you to celebrate or no? Not really, but we always seem to do at least something. Last year, we went on an anniversary trip to New Orleans.
    3. What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst? Probably the trip to New Orleans. We have this weird obsession with Nawlins that I can't explain. I can't think of a worst gift or date.
    4. Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration? I don't really have one.

1. When is yours? we were married July 16, 2011.  it'll be 2 years this summer!
    2. Is it important to you to celebrate or no? it's important to us that we acknowledge it, even if we don't have a huge celebration.
    3. What was the best anniversary date/gift you remember? The worst? we never celebrated dating anniversaries.  last year, my grandfather died and I was traveling to TN on our first wedding anniversary.  this year, I hope we will at least be together!  we did go out to eat to a fun restaurant last year, and I think we might be going back this year.  no big plans, though.
    4. Speculate - what would be your dream anniversary celebration? I think we're going to go to Charleston one year, and then back to Boston (our HM location) another.  once we've paid off the student loans and have a little money, that is.
  • @LivLeighton - that sounds like it is going to be an amazing trip/anniversary!

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    1. We'll hit five years of dating on July 17th and two years of marriage September 17th. 

2. We usually do something. We don't acknowledge the July date much since marriage, but I think five years is worth dinner or something.

3. Best would be our trip to Disney World and WWoHP last year for our first wedding anniversary. I don't have a worst, but the least awesome would be year 2 of dating because I thought he was going to propose and went a little BSC (don't do it, kids!).

4. I'd love to take another big trip or maybe even renew our vows on the beach some day.

Damn! That took like five minutes to figure out how to force line breaks from an iPad.

• @rdr716 - Things are going great! I have a conference call with the venue today to finalize details. Otherwise it's mostly just little things I still have to check off my list. 2nd dress fitting is next Friday...and then the bachelorette is that Saturday, so a lot to look forward to!
  • When is yours?
    May 1st

For me, it's important to at least acknowledge the day and celebrate by going out to dinner at a restaurant we only go to maybe 2 or 3 times a year. 

The best anniversary date would have to be our first anniversary.  We went to one of our favorite restaurants and had awesome dessert and drinks.  Our 2nd anniversary was probably the worst because we had just gotten back together from a month-long break and we didn't do anything.  He went to work or something and I cooked dinner.

My dream anniversary celebration would to be able to go somewhere nice (and preferably out of state) and just enjoy ourselves without having to worry about anything else.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards