Wedding Invitations & Paper

When to put out rules?

Terrible headline; I apologize. 
Here is my question: We do not want kids at the wedding, how and where do we explain no kids will be at the wedding? 
I understand it is a huge no-no and a very touchy subject, but this is something my groom and I feel strongly about. Has anyone else been through something similar and has some reliable advice? 

Re: When to put out rules?

• It's not a huge no-no to have no children.

Just address the invitation to the adults.   Be specific on the envelopes mentioning people by name.

You can also take it a step further and write out the response cards so the guests just check __accepts or ___declines next to their names.

Some guests may still not get it and they may think their kids are supposed to be there.   Just stand firm and be nice when you let them down.

• Banana's got it.
  • Ditto Banana. It's perfectly fine not to invite children, but a no-no would be making any kind of announcement about who ISN'T invited. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    This would work well. 

Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Send the invitation to who IS invited.  If someone rsvps for more than who was on the invitation, you make a quick phone call and say "I'm sorry, but there must be a misunderstanding.  the invitation was for you and Bob. We won't be able to accommodate little Susie"

• My friend completed the names of those invited on the respond card (as banana suggested) and also added:  We have reserved __ seats in your honor.  She didn't have any calls for clarification.

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    Just address the invitation to who is invited.  We had many couples with kids and had no issues. No one brought them (or RSVP'd with their children's names for that matter too).
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The only acceptable course of action is to leave the names of children and anyone else not invited off invitations, and tell anyone who RSVPs for their children or other uninvited guests that only those listed on the invitation were invited.  There is no correct way to word invitations to indicate that children or anyone else is not invited.
  • Thank you for all of you advice. I figured by just addressing the invitations to the adults they would get the picture. If worst comes to worst I might use the picture B27Z28 posted lol
  • My family sometimes doesn't "get the hint" about things, so I put "adults only" on the reception card that will be inside the ceremony invitation.  I don't care if it's tacky or not.  If I would address the envelope just to the adults, they would assume their kids are invited too, that's just the way my family is.  I am also putting on the RSVP Card: "We have reserved ____ seats in your honor" and filling in the number.  In my case, you can't be too blunt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards