October 2013 Weddings

NWR: Good Reads

I have a ton of books on my inter library loan list that I want to read, but I just kind of added anything that sounded interesting or had a cool looking title (yes I DO judge BOOKS by their covers.  Sue me).

But, I'm fixing to wrap up one book, and I'm slowly easing my way through another series, but..I want some good book recommendations!!

I like just about anything except mystery.

I'm about to finish "Life of Pi" and before that I read all of the "Eragon" series, and before that was the "Game of Thrones" series (sensing a pattern?).

My other series is the "Earth's Children" series by Jean Auel that I'm reading.  I am a HUGE fan of fantasy fiction (Piers Anthony, Mercedes Lackey, etc).  I also ADORE Jacqueline Carey's "Kushiel" series.

For more "girlee" books, I liked the "YaYa Sisterhood" books, and the "Travelling Pants" books.  I also -love- Jennifer Weiner as an authoress.  I started "Eat, Pray, Love" which I also enjoyed as well as an Anna Quinlin (I think I misspelled her last name) book called "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake".

So, what about the rest of you?  Reading anything good?  Got any recommendations to share? 

Or, are you all just to frapping busy wedding planning? 

Maybe THAT is why I feel like I'm so far behind.  :)

Re: NWR: Good Reads

• It's been at least two months since I last read something for fun!  Hopefully when my choir and quartet concert season ends this week I will find time to pick up books again.

I'm a fan of Amazon.com's free ebooks, I tend to download a ton of random ones onto my Kindle when I remember to.  I have Water for Elephants on there, I need to sit down and get to that one!
  • @SimplyME22 - That was a good book!  I checked it out through my library for my Kindle.  :) 

And yeah, I have a BUNCH of random free books I've downloaded too!!  I also take Amazon up when they offer a full series for .99.  I got all of the "Anne of Green Gables" series and all of the "Wizard of Oz" series.  I also bought each of the "Hangman's Daughter" books for about $2/each as well.  I just haven't gotten to reading them yet!!

I make time Mon-Fri to read during my lunch hour, and I usually try to read at night before bed (which I know is a no-no).  If I'm not reading, I'm doing Netflix.  My two weaknesses.  :|
  • You might not like the stuff I like, but you  might! I mostly read historical fiction novels, with a lot of murder mysteries thrown in. If it's a historical fiction mystery, even better. My favorites:

• The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
    • The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
    • The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
    • The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
    • Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (and others by her - Echoes, Copper Beech, Tara Road, etc)
    • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (probably best all time favorite?)
    • Dark Angels by Karleen Koen (another series - all of them - Through a Glass Darkly, and Only to Deceive)
    • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
    • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (and read the book before the movie - haven't seen the movie yet though)
    • A Breach of Promise by Anne Perry (about a victorian wedding mystery!)
    • Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
    I could go on, but those are my tops. The Crimson Petal and the White on that list is also really good.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• OH!!  Yes historical fiction!  I love Phillipa Gregory (I probably misspelled her name too!).  The Tudor era is incredibly fascinating.  I mean, who doesn't love Elizabeth I?  :)

I remember reading Gatsby in HS, but thanks for reminding me that I wanted to look into the Time Traveler's Wife!  I'd heard the book was good, but that the movie was meh (I've never seen it.  Seems like I remember hearing the male star was nekkid in it though).

And hey, even if I don't get anything out of a list, someone else might!  :)

Thanks for sharing!!  :)
  • I tend to read 'mindless' things that I don't have to think about too much.

Don't underrate the Hunger Games series - it is really good!

Similar to Hungar Games (dystopic teen fiction) I really enjoyed the Matched series, and the Delirium series is even better. I am going to get started on Divergent - don't know hot that is but it was recommended to me.

I am reading East of Eden right now, and I really like it, but it's taking me a while to get through.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• I won't lie, I'm putting off "Hunger Games" because I don't want to look 'trendy'.  I only -just- wrapped up the 'Twilight' series a few months ago.  But, I've heard only good things about HG, so I'll drop them on to my list to check out!!

I've never heard of the Matched series; who writes those?

And East of Eden has a bit of a kinky theme to it, doesn't it?  Or am I thinking of something else entirely? 
  • Ah! If you liked Eragon (EXCELLENT CHOICE, btw.) check out The Wingfeather Saga. The author, Andrew Peterson, is currently working on the final book and I am just extremely impatient! Shayla, if you aren't already, checkout goodreads.com.

My goal for books this year is 30... I've finished 20 so far. We could start our own "inter-library loan"ing between kindles! 
  • I won't lie, I'm putting off "Hunger Games" because I don't want to look 'trendy'.  I only -just- wrapped up the 'Twilight' series a few months ago.  But, I've heard only good things about HG, so I'll drop them on to my list to check out!!

I've never heard of the Matched series; who writes those?

And East of Eden has a bit of a kinky theme to it, doesn't it?  Or am I thinking of something else entirely? 
    No, East of Eden isn't kinky - it's a thinker - almost philosophical but not quite so abstract, there is actual story. I still don't quite know what the point of it all will be in the end (i'm about halfway through). But it was highly recommended to me and was told that it will change my life.

Matched is written by Ally Condie 

I am all for a book sharing Kindle group!
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• How do we share via kindle? I got one for Christmas this past year and only know how to hook it up to my Amazon account (and I've only "purchased" free books so far)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• You can only "lend" a Kindle book once and only for 14 days.  Not all books are shareable, but it would be awesome if they were, boo...

Also, some libraries now allow access to some books through the Kindle, worth checking it out!
  • Yea, the lending side is set by the publisher. Which makes me really sad, because I was going to offer up to share The Wingfeather Saga, but it won't let me. :(

Is it really only once, though, Simply? The 14 days rule is only if your kindle is connected to wifi....... If you turn off wifi it can't take the book back. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards