October 2013 Weddings

Menswear...

FI wants me to go with him this weekend to look at tuxes or suits for the guys for the wedding.  We were originally going to go charcoal grey, but my brother made Chief last year and we're so proud of him that we asked him to wear his uniform for the wedding, so in order for him to not stand out over FI as much, we reverted to black.  Now we need to determine if we're doing vests and ties and color or no color, too many options!

So ladies, what are your gents going with?   I'm leaning towards white vest and long tie for FI and possible doing the burgundy on the other two guys, or maybe just black ties and no vest. 

Re: Menswear...

• FH is wearing his tuxedo (I am beyond excited about this) and his mom his making him a vest (ivory colored to go with my dress) and bow tie. The BM & GM will be in suits, most likely black, with vests & a bow tie. I think I'm going to try and convince FH that they should be in grey vests & ties, rather than teal.
  • Ooo, the charcoal grey in the vests and ties could be nice for the other two guys, I don't know why that never crossed my mind!  Thank you!!!

Our colors are burgundy and marigold, as much of a Steelers/Pens fan that FI and I are, I'm not sure I want the guys in black and gold. And I'm not sure I want them matchy matchy with the ladies. 
  • I won't lie, and I know it's frowned upon as looking "prom-ish", but my FI is wearing a tuxedo with a purple long tie and matching vest in a color swatch that matches my gown, while the rest of the bridal party, and my dad and son who are walking me down the aisle will be wearing silver long ties and silver vests (or purple vest, he hasn't decided yet). 

It's unnecessarily formal, but, my FI wants to wear the tuxedo for our early afternoon/lunch wedding, and...he can have it, even if it's "wrong" according to etiquette.  :)

My son wanted to wear his Marine Corps JROTC dress uniform; FI nixed that idea because he wanted him in a tux too.  I personally think no matter what everyone else wears, your brother will look just fine and not overshadow your FI.  :)  And congrats to him!!  That's exciting!
  • @shaylagirl: our ceremony is at 2:30pm. FH owns this tux and said from the very beginning he wants to wear it. Honestly? I'm in love with the fact that he said it, because I was going to ask him if he would. The only thing I have ever dreamt up about my wedding day is picturing myself walking down the aisle in the white dress, towards a guy in a tuxedo with tails. My wedding dream = coming true in just over 5 months. :D
  • Shayla - You are correct. Etiquette wise he "should" wear a morning suit, but that is an etiquette rule that can be broken (and no feelings are hurt because of it) (Think William and Kate's wedding - no one showed up in a tuxedo to the ceremony)

Our ceremony is in the morning as well - 10:30 am. FI wanted all the guys to wear matching grey suits, but it is difficult to find a suit that will fit all body types and is much more expensive than a tux rental.

He liked the morning suit option and a grey tux the best (out of the tuxedo rental options). He ultimately chose a charcoal grey tux that looks very much like a suit. Personally, I think white vests for the groom look like ice cream men. It appears to be common in my area for men to wear the same color as the bridesmaids with the groom in white. Not my thing.  FI will be wearing a silver tie and vest (that is rather pale, but not white), with the other men wearing a darker silver/grey ties and vests.

Honestly, I teach fashion history, so I was a pretty big stickler for the tux vs. morning suit option. A black tux would have been way too much at 10:30 in the morning. I wanted him to choose his clothing, but I'm super glad the options he liked were what I liked as well. The grey tux? Not 100% appropriate, but it doesn't look crazy formal either. (It really just looks like a suit) I think he'll look great.

And menswear is something that each guy should choose, with somewhat "approval" from the girl. FI did not choose my gown (and has not seen it) so I'm totally contradicting myself, but there are some formal fashions for men that I would have been mortified had he chosen (and I don't want to list them cause I don't want to hurt feelings - but people obviously can have varying tastes.) You need to choose what is best for you and the overall look of your function.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I personally always thought men look better in suits than in tuxes, so we are going with black tuxes that look almost like a really dark suit.  Can't really tell the difference if there is one.  

@SewinloveDB, what makes a tux and suit different if there are no tails?  I really don't know.

FI is wearing a pearl shade since my dress isn't white, it's a an off color.  The guys are wearing "gunmetal" gray vests and ties, FI loved the name and I like gray since the girls are wearing pewter dresses.  The dad's and one of FI's grandfathers are wearing black tuxes with black vest and tie.  
  • My wedding is in the evening and my BM's are wearing black dresses, so we'll go with black tuxes. I know we'll do long ties rather than bowties, still trying to decide on the rest. My accent color is blush pink but I don't know if I want to do pink ties/vests or if it will look too matchy. I'm in love with the black checked Burberry ties, but I'm not spending $150 a pop for ties!
  • My wedding is in the evening and my BM's are wearing black dresses, so we'll go with black tuxes. I know we'll do long ties rather than bowties, still trying to decide on the rest. My accent color is blush pink but I don't know if I want to do pink ties/vests or if it will look too matchy. I'm in love with the black checked Burberry ties, but I'm not spending $150 a pop for ties!
    Could you make the tie their gift for being in the wedding? Just an idea!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I personally always thought men look better in suits than in tuxes, so we are going with black tuxes that look almost like a really dark suit.  Can't really tell the difference if there is one.  

@SewinloveDB, what makes a tux and suit different if there are no tails?  I really don't know.

FI is wearing a pearl shade since my dress isn't white, it's a an off color.  The guys are wearing "gunmetal" gray vests and ties, FI loved the name and I like gray since the girls are wearing pewter dresses.  The dad's and one of FI's grandfathers are wearing black tuxes with black vest and tie.  
    This link explains it well:

The first things I thought of were satin stripe down the side of the pants, and the satin lapels. I didn't think of the satin buttons vs. non satin buttons.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• @SewInLove, great article.  
  • Was your favorite part the dashing gentleman?

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• *slowly shrugs*

• Most definitely the best line.  Makes me think of Bond...James Bond.  I must inform FI that when he wears his suit to work that he is being a productive member of society.  Good to know.
  • So... this is mostly unrelated. but... then, what's the difference between a "gown" and a "dress"? I mean, I know I wouldn't call a dress I'd wear to work a "gown". But I wouldn't call my prom dress a gown either. (It was lime green & princess poofy). I'm guilty of calling my wedding dress a gown and a dress. What's the difference?
  • I did suggest that but he has other ideas for their gifts and most of them are not guys who wear ties often, so probably not the best choice for them. Guess I'll have to find something else that catches my eye!
  • I personally prefer men in suits vs tuxes. My groom and his groomsman are wearing navy jackets and khaki pants, we are having a nautical themed wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards