Not Engaged Yet
Options

Calling on my fellow bookworms again!

2»

Re: Calling on my fellow bookworms again!

• Options
    @desertsun and @suzie211 and anyone else who reads the Divergent series - have you seen they are making a movie?! I'm not thrilled with the casting thus far but I'm still thinking positive and hoping they don't ruin it. Also the third book comes out in a few months and I'm beyond excited! One of my co-workers loves the series as much as I do and we used to geek out about it in the office all the time. She left though so now I have no one to freak out about Divergent related things with! She was also my Doctor Who and Harry Potter buddy.

• Options
    @bethsmiles -  Totally saw they were making a movie out of it.  Its part of the reason I downloaded the first book.  I got to the end of the second and was quite sad I couldn't get the third.   I haven't heard much on the casting, but I would love it if they film here.  I'm close enough to the EL that when the house is quiet you can hear it.  Pretty cool to hear while reading these.

I will freak out with you:) 
    photo bridalparty.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @suzie211 - I think they said they were going to film it in Chicago, but that could just be a rumor. I bet it was awesome to know the landscape of that world well. I've never even been to Chicago so I'm sure I pictured something completely wrong lol.

• Options
    I'm waiting for the last book of the divergent series to come out before reading it.  There is still one more book that comes out right?

Anniversary

• Options
    @danser55 - yes there is one more book and its supposed to come out in November I believe. They are really fantastic. I read Divergent and Insurgent in 2 days. I couldn't put them down! IMO the Divergent series was much better than the Hunger Games.

• Options
    It's on my list I thought the last one came out this fall so I;m waiting until the last one comes out to start them. Yay thanks @bethsmiles

Anniversary

• Options
    @suzie211 - I think they said they were going to film it in Chicago, but that could just be a rumor. I bet it was awesome to know the landscape of that world well. I've never even been to Chicago so I'm sure I pictured something completely wrong lol.

Then you need to make a trip!  I will volunteer to play Divergent tour guide!

It was pretty cool because I've lived here for 9 years, so I do know the landscape well.  When they described general directions for areas I kept trying to place them with what they would be now or what train line they would be on.  Maybe it's because it's my current neighborhood, but I kept picturing Tris living here in Bucktown.  It will be interesting to see if I was picturing them right.  Even living in Chicago I'm pretty sure I pictured lots of it wrong.

@danser55- The next book in the series comes out in Oct.  So you'll have good Fall reading material.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options

suzie211 said:

It was pretty cool because I've lived here for 9 years, so I do know the landscape well.  When they described general directions for areas I kept trying to place them with what they would be now or what train line they would be on.  Maybe it's because it's my current neighborhood, but I kept picturing Tris living here in Bucktown.  It will be interesting to see if I was picturing them right.  Even living in Chicago I'm pretty sure I pictured lots of it wrong.

@danser55- The next book in the series comes out in Oct.  So you'll have good Fall reading material.
    Aha I thought I had the month wrong! October is even better, that's sooner than I thought!

• Options

suzie211 said:

Aha I thought I had the month wrong! October is even better, that's sooner than I thought!
    I'm pretty sure this is what my Nook said.  It's available for pre-order through Barnes & Noble now.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh October would be even better!
    Does my wedding ticker show?  I don't see it...

Anniversary

• Options
    @danser55 - I can't see it. There is a thread a bit down about siggys Peek gave good instructions as to how to fix them with the new format.

• Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas, you guys!  I knew I'd get some good ones!  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

For a light summer read I'd suggest The House on Tradd Street by Karen White. It's kind of a fun mystery/paranormal story that takes place in historical downtown Charleston. Also part of a trilogy if you end up wanting to read more.

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan. He's the author of Atonement. Pretty much anything of his with a female protagonist is gold.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. IMO he's the reigning king of fantasy right now.

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. Really really really loved this book.

For YA anything by Kelly Armstrong. She falls under paranormal fiction. I usually read her books for adults but my BFF adores her YA series.

• Options
    bbbb78bbbb78 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    also if fantasy is your thing i have heard incredible things about the sword of truth series (if you ever watched legend of the seeker on ABC in like 2009 it was based on those books).  I just finished watching the first 2 seasons of the tv show and i'm obsessed.  i'm planning on reading the books this summer.
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @laurenb09 -- LOVE Jen Lancaster. I've only read one of her books though. I should definitely read more. She's hysterical!

• Options
    laurenb09 said:
    @bethsmiles I read Let's Pretend This Didn't Happen at the end of last semester and loooved it!
    I think it's fantastic! I'm not finished yet but I keep trying to explain the funny stories to BF and I can't even finish because I'm laughing so hard.

• Options
    @bethsmiles, I did NOT know they were making a movie! Exciting! I have the 3rd book pre-ordered for my kindle. :) Have you read Enclave, too?

Also, Hunger Games fans really ought to read the Japanese book that Collins sort of ripped off -- Battle Royale. It's amazing. I first read it probably like 5 years ago? And then when I read HG, I was like, wait a sec. The whole forcing children to kill each other concept is the central idea of both. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @desertsun - I heard there was a book that Hunger Games was sort of a rip off of. I think they must have made of movie of it too because BF's brother mentioned it and he doesn't really read.

I haven't read Enclave but it's on my list of books to read!

• Options
    laurenb09 said:
    Am I the only one that reads trashy chick lit?  I highly recommend Jen Lancaster, Wendy Wax, Mary Kay Andrews, Janet Evanovich.

@bethsmiles I read Let's Pretend This Didn't Happen at the end of last semester and loooved it!
    Let's Pretend This Didn't Happen is on my reading list too. I can't wait to get to it.

Anniversary

• Options
    @bethsmiles, yes there is a movie for Battle Royale too. I haven't seen it yet, but it's available on Netflix streaming! It's in my queue. :)

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    @desertsun - I didn't know it was available on Netflix! I'll have to watch it soon :)

ETA: I just noticed your ticker! Is your little boy almost one year old?! I can't believe it's been a year!

• Options
    @bethsmiles -- yup, his b-day is 5/25. I can't believe it's been almost a year. He's really becoming his own little person now. He has a sense of humor and is learning to express himself, mostly through gestures and expressions. He doesn't have any real words yet. He does say "Uh oh!" all the time though, and it's hilarious. :) 

• Options
    That's so awesome @desertsun! He is just so adorable :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards