Interfaith Weddings

Catholic and Lutheran

Hello everyone! I was raised Catholic, but I've been doing some soulsearching and haven't been "active" in over a year.  My FI is in a similar situation, though he is Lutheran.  He used to attend church regularly; however, his father passed away two years ago and he hasn't been back since.  It's important to him to have a church wedding, but I'm not sure what to do.  He definitely will not agree to a Catholic service, and the posts on this board and the Christian boards lead me to believe we can't have a Lutheran service either.  Are there any Catholic/Lutheran couples out there that have been through a similar situation?  Is there a way to celebrate both faiths in some way without causing a major incident? Would it be better to start over and find a new branch of Christianity that we can both agree on for our special day?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa

Re: Catholic and Lutheran

• My fiance and I were in a similar situation: I was raised Catholic, and she was raised Baptist, but became more non-denominational later in life.

Because of our differences in how we view communion, but still wanting everyone in our families to partake in our first meal, we settled on a Methodist ceremony. It is a wonderful church that is close enough to Catholic traditions and readings, but not as formal and rigid for her "hippie" Christianity as she calls it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_catholic-and-lutheran?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:3f03a944-7a02-4cef-b7bb-b3d436fba571Post:631b63b8-4039-42f3-8be3-2247a981d8b1">Catholic and Lutheran</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello everyone! I was raised Catholic, but I've been doing some soulsearching and haven't been "active" in over a year.  My FI is in a similar situation, though he is Lutheran.  He used to attend church regularly; however, his father passed away two years ago and he hasn't been back since.  It's important to him to have a church wedding, but I'm not sure what to do.  He definitely will not agree to a Catholic service, and the posts on this board and the Christian boards lead me to believe we can't have a Lutheran service either.  Are there any Catholic/Lutheran couples out there that have been through a similar situation?  Is there a way to celebrate both faiths in some way without causing a major incident? Would it be better to start over and find a new branch of Christianity that we can both agree on for our special day?
    Posted by des9724[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I was raised Lutheran and my best "church friend" married her Catholic husband at the Lutheran church we grew up in.  It is possible, and I would talk to a pastor about your options.  You could also have such a wedding approved by a Catholic church so it could be recognized by your church if you apply for a dispensation (it think that's what it's called), which they may grant for reasons such as maintaining family peace, etc.  So you should talk to a Lutheran pastor and Catholic priest to get the facts before thinking that something is not possible.  If it is not important to either of you which particular branch of Christianity you follow, there are many wonderful non-denominational churches to look into.

</div>
  • My dad was raised Catholic, and my mom is Lutheran. My dad converted to Lutheranism, partially because my mom wanted him to, but partially because he wasn't really feeling the Catholic church anymore, and, according to my extended family, the only real differences between the two these days are how the saints are portrayed, and a little extra pomp and circumstance for Catholics. Honestly, having been raised with both, I hardly even see the difference. 

Traditional Lutheran weddings are almost exactly like Catholic weddings, and honestly, I bet you could find someone to officiate a wedding that has quite the Catholic feel, in a Lutheran church. I think the Lutherans are easier-going about things like this than Catholics. ;) 

Which Lutheran denomination are we talking? Missouri synod is quite traditional, and can do a very Catholic-like wedding, but, from what I hear, Wisconsin synod is THE way to go, if you're stuck between Lutheranism and Catholicism, for any reason. 

Best of luck to you! I'm sure it will work out--after all, I have positive vibes going about my own, and it's going to be Lutheran-Jewish! ;) If I can do it, so can you! Feel free to message me if you need to talk about it. :)
  • Excuse me; I meant to say Lutheran-Catholic-Jewish, as most of my family is Catholic. ;) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards