Not Engaged Yet

Love It Button

So, the Knot Gods have made your Love-It's anonymous, because they claim they got a bunch of PMs and emails saying that it was horrible to see who loves a post.  If you'd be so kind, there is a poll over on Snarky Brides regarding the concept.  Please to vote?
I french with my man
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Love It Button

• All over it!  Private likes are just idiotic...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    WTF? That was definitely just some middle school whining from people who aren't funny.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I personally think since they're keeping the option to flag a post, you should be able to see who did that also. 

• I voted too. Although it doesn't seem like we're being heard for the most part. Which is shocking because some of us are actually brides still or will be in the future (no offense to our wives but tk isn't trying to sell you anything lol). Maybe they think if they make the message boards inhospitable, we will go to tk shop? Right....
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand why it would be horrible to see who loves a post...isn't similar to "liking" something on Facebook?

ETA: What does flagging a post do?

• I don't understand why it would be horrible to see who loves a post...isn't similar to "liking" something on Facebook?
    Apparently someone felt "heckled" for liking a snarky post.

I call fucking bullshit.
    I french with my man
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    @bethsmiles -- When you flag a post you choose to mark it as 'spam' or 'abuse' and it shows up as flagged on the post. There was a serious abuse of the flagging system over on CC earlier this week, well really all over TK, where people were flagging posts just because they didn't like the poster or they didn't agree with the poster's opinion. 

• I voted.  I don't care if someone sees that I "like" a post. 
  • @Rdr - Thanks for the explanation! I thought it was something like that but I wasn't sure. People can get so ridiculous on the boards.

• ICYMI - they're also doing away with mods due to the abuse of power situations.  One of which was a huge catalyst for the flagging system changes.
    I french with my man
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    Here are the "changes" as quoted from KP on SB: 

Hi Everyone! Sorry for the delay – lots going on and we wanted to give you as much information as we could. We got the OK this morning…

After going through your suggestions and questions we have decided on the following solutions:

-          We are removing ALL moderators within the community.  Moderators With the board updates, our administrators are able to fully monitor the boards. Flagged posts will come directly to our team to review and will be very active on the boards watching activity. We will also be available on private messages and via email at messageboards@theknot.com.

-          The Knot administrators will now have their own home base board where there will be announcements and general conversation –keep a look out for it. This is also going to be a new board where users can contact us instead of just paging us if there is a question or issue were notified on their private board and via PM. With the updates, The Knot team is able to moderate the boards from within from this point forward.

-          Flagging will still be present and kept anonymous in order to facilitate this moderation change.  I (and the team) will personally review every post that is flagged as spam/abuse. I will also keep record of those that abuse the flagging feature and handle consequences case by case.

-          The private moderation board and moderator roles will gradually be removed from the boards today. 

-          “Love It” will also be kept anonymous for those that want to show their love for a post without the need to explain themselves (for example, if they love a snarky response, they won’t be questioned).

• I think that you should be able to see who "loved" your post.

But I also think that flagging should remain anonymous. 

It's human nature to enjoy positive feedback and get defensive about negative feedback. Posters should have the ability to report other posts as against TOS without having to deal with a flood of questions about it. I believe TK Gods are capable of looking at flags and determining if they are appropriate or not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• desertsun said:
    I think that you should be able to see who "loved" your post.

But I also think that flagging should remain anonymous. 

It's human nature to enjoy positive feedback and get defensive about negative feedback. Posters should have the ability to report other posts as against TOS without having to deal with a flood of questions about it. I believe TK Gods are capable of looking at flags and determining if they are appropriate or not.

I agree. Being able to see who flagged a post is just going to stir up ridiculous amounts of drama.

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    But the point of flagging something is because it's against TK's TOS. Why do you need to remain anonymous for flagging something unless you're abusing it as it has been this week?

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    @Rdr716 - that's a good point.

• I just think it's bullshit that TK caters to one or two people who got all butt hurt because someone "liked" a statement they may not have agreed with. No one gets all pissy when someone "likes" a status with FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc. so why does it have to be anonymous here?

Stoopid.....

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • rdr716 said:
    But the point of flagging something is because it's against TK's TOS. Why do you need to remain anonymous for flagging something unless you're abusing it as it has been this week?
    Because TOS now includes things like "bullying," which has proven over and over to be controversial and subjective. 

What one person consider "bullying," another considers sharing an opinion or giving advice.

My personal opinion is that those who feel they've been bullied should have the option to flag/report it, and then TK Gods can determine if it's legit or not.

And yes, again, I know this is controversial b/c no one wants to boards to become a place where you can't share an opinion for fear of hurting someone's feelings.

I'm not arguing about the practice/application. That is an entirely different conversation IMO.

I'm simply saying that I think anonymous flags, for the principle of being able to report inappropriate language or personal attacks, are a good idea. 

I think we've all seen some ugly things go down on these boards. Sometimes, people just get butt hurt. And sometimes, people really truly go too far.

• Well I just "liked" three people's posts above: @desertsun, @rdr716and @buddysmom80 :)  That is my solution around this issue...I'll just openly tell people, again, that I like their post.  Silly.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    You also have the option to PM and tag all 3 KG's AND there is a totally separate board where you can contact them if you feel you're being bullied or for whatever reason. I just don't see the point at all in taking away the visibility of something like that.

• And with all these changes to the board...how come we can't change the into sentence of the board (that basically indicates we are all BSC pre-planners of weddings)?
  • @minskat30 my theory as to why they haven't changed it is because it's going to attract BSC pre-planners who want to spend $$$ on their wedding before they're even engaged.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I think it is much easier to click "flag" to report a post, while you're in a thread and reading, than it is to go to another board and reference the board, thread, and post. From a practical standpoint, it is much more efficient to simply have the "flag" option.

There will always be abuses of such options. It's unavoidable. But IMO, it's better to have the option and have it anonymous, than have it be public or not have the option. 

Do I need to go into more detail on why I think it needs to be anonymous and what I said earlier about people becoming defensive when they receive negative feedback? (Honest question.)

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    No, I can see what you're saying, Dessert, I just still disagree. I think part of it is that the option was there for a week and now they're taking it away. I honestly don't see that many posts that I actually believe are against TOS (not including random vendor posts and the like) so I'm not really one who'd use the flag button anyway. I think people can be WAY too sensitive and TK is catering to them.

• @rdr716 - I agree 100% that TK has taken to catering to the super-sensitive on the boards. I used to lurk on E and SB all the time just because they were so entertaining...now it's not worth lurking there 99% of the time because of all the rules! Have you seen their FFF lately? It's a joke.

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    @bethsmiles I miss the old, epic FFF's that were like 12 pages long hahaha

• @minskat30 my theory as to why they haven't changed it is because it's going to attract BSC pre-planners who want to spend $$$ on their wedding before they're even engaged.
    Well that would suck.
  • rdr716 said:
    I miss the old, epic FFF's that were like 12 pages long hahaha
    Those were the best! And honestly, I rarely thought a line had been crossed. Now it's just boring.

• TBH, I would prefer that we were still able to quote, link, name names, and then have the flag option. 

But I understand TK is a business, and trying to make the boards more "approachable" is a smart business decision. 

It would definitely be interesting to see the difference in traffic if all there was a "reg strike." 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards