October 2013 Weddings

What's your Dress Progress

Okay, time for a reality check for me...

I have been engaged for over a year now, and the wedding is under 5 months away.  I still haven't decided on a dress. I have two options that are kickin' around in my head, but I can't seem to make a decision--partially because I struggle with the whole bridal fashion paradigm for myself.  

How is everyone else doing?  Have you bought the dress, ordered it, and when do you expect to have it / get it fitted?  What dress did you choose, and how did you make the decision?  How did you feel making the decision?  

Re: What's your Dress Progress

• I purchased mine off the rack at a charity sale in January. It did not require alterations. I bought a petticoat and jacket a couple of months ago to complete the outfit, so I'm finished. I need to get someone to alter my mom's veil to attach it to a comb, but that's all I have left to do.

• My dress came in in January. I had my bustle done and cups put in in March. It fits like it was made for me currently so not sure I will need anything else done to it. 

I ended up getting the dress I fell in love with online. When I put it on I felt like a bride. No other dress really did that for me and after I put "mine" on no other dress I tried on compared.

You should really decide soon. Specially if you have to order the dress. Davids has a pretty quick turn around but some dresses take a long time to come in from other places. Pick the dress you feel most beautiful in!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought my dress just before Christmas, during our family Christmas vacation. It was a sample dress, and on sale. I had been to two other bridal salons and had tried on probably 25-30 dresses or so before that one. I knew it was "the one" when I wanted to put it on again. I didn't tear up, at least, not until I said out loud "this is the dress." I knew I wanted to buy it when I couldn't imagine myself in any of the other dresses I had put on. Unfortunately it is way too big on me - that's what I get for buying the sample, haha, so I'll have to get it altered. I have no idea where I am going to get it altered, since, chances are, I will be moving right about the time I need to get my alterations started. Right now my dress is hanging in a closet upstairs, my shoes are near it, my veil is on the dining room table - glue drying (I'm DIYing it), and my hair comb is on my dresser. So all my "pieces" are here!
  • I went to multiple bridal salons with my mom and sister and most looked "pretty" but none had a "wow" factor. Eventually, my mom and I went to NYC to a high end salon and found the dress for me. I ordered it in September, before our wedding date was actually finalized. It came in around March, and I currently have it in my possession, but it has not been altered and the bustle has not been created yet.

I do not know what veil I will wear with it - I would like to try it on with my sister's veil. If it does not look right, I am hoping to ask my FSIL if I could wear her veil.

There was no crying or intense feeling of "this is it." I tried on enough to know, but I didn't choose on emotion. We chose based on what I felt was truly stunning and would make me the happiest.

You don't need pressure, but you might want to start looking as some places have a longer turnaround than others. Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I haven't even gone and tried on a single dress yet...just got engaged April 8th and originally planned a feb 2014 wedding and last week bumped it up to October. We're going shopping June 1st it's the first date my moh, mom and I were all avail and I do not do important shopping without my moh/bff
  • lplions said:
     I knew it was "the one" when I wanted to put it on again. I didn't tear up, at least, not until I said out loud "this is the dress." I knew I wanted to buy it when I couldn't imagine myself in any of the other dresses I had put on. 
    This is what happened with me too. The dress I bought (back in Nov) was on display in the window and I couldn't leave without trying it on.  When I put it on, I wouldn't say I felt "bridal" but it was exactly what I pictured myself being married in.  I didn't see it again until this past Friday and I went to see it because I was feeling some butterflies that maybe I didn't do enough looking or maybe I wouldn't feel the same about it.  I was dead wrong.  When I saw it again I felt my face change and it was really hard to zip it back up.  I really do love it and cannot wait to put it back on.  I go for fittings and alterations in August/September.
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Thanks guys.  I think a big problem I'm having is spending the money--I had this ideal budget that nothing I like is within.  I think I'm dragging my feat because I know I need to spend more money than I had hoped. 
  • You don't have to spend a bunch of money on a dress. My dress was $200 and didn't require any alterations.

• You don't have to spend a bunch of money on a dress. My dress was $200 and didn't require any alterations.
    Do you mind if I ask Where/How?  I'd love to have a new place to look.

Do you mind if I ask Where/How?  I'd love to have a new place to look.
    I'm a cancer research nurse and one of my coworkers told me about this event: http://www.bridesabc.org/

They have a ton of beautiful dresses at insane prices, and all of the proceeds go toward cancer patient support and cancer research. It's worth going to the VIP sale the night before the main event to have more choices and less people.

• Cool!  The boutique is a few hours from where I live, although there isn't a show around here for another month.  I might drive down.

• shannie11shannie11 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    My dress has been in since march.  I ordered it back in September.  I went last month to try it on.  At that time I picked my veil, petticoat and sash.  I still need to find a flower for my hair, earrings and a bracelet.  I go for my first fitting in July!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket

• I am very happy my grandmother made my dress. The quality of her work is excellent and it fit me like a glove with minimum effort. To this day I am very grateful to her. The dress is a gift that can't be measured or replaced.

Is there any way you can post some pictures of her work?  I would love to see a handmade dress - it must be incredible! 
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Mine came in in February and most of it fits perfectly, but I think I'm going to have cups put in so I don't have to wear a bra with it. Mostly at the moment I'm just trying really really hard not to try it on too often because I'm worried I'll stain it or something!! I left it at my parents' place so I wouldn't be tempted haha
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd love a handmade dress!  I have a seamstress that I have spoken to, but her labor cost seems a bit high for what I'm wanting...maybe I can find someone that is a little less expensive?

With your dresses coming in so early for some of you, are you at all worried about weight/size fluctuations in your body changing the dress, or have you already accounted for that?

• With your dresses coming in so early for some of you, are you at all worried about weight/size fluctuations in your body changing the dress, or have you already accounted for that?
    I've worn the same size since high school ten years ago, so I'm not concerned, heh.

• Have any of you seen "I Found the Gown' on TLC? It's a reality show about this bridal store that has designer dresses at 50-80% off. The problem is that they are in Massachusetts. Many people fly there just to go to that store because of the bargain. Or, they can ship the dress to you for the same discounts. However, you wouldn't be trying it on at the store.  
  • I don't have mine yet. I found one I want if it's still there when I have the money for it. I also have one I bought last year when I thought I was getting married last year if all else fails (my vision has changed so many times since I started planning my wedding a couple years ago).  A big thing for me is worry that I'll get into the shape I really want and a dress won't fit and it'll be too close to the date to try to alter it down properly.

I did recently find out about a place here that offers dresses at major discounts which I'll probably check if the store I went to the other day ends up selling the dresses I want (one ceremony one reception) before I get the money/it's too big when I get the money.
  • I went dressing shopping last July when I was in Florida with my sister.  I had seen a dress online that I fell in love with and just had to try it on.  It was the first dress I tried on and I knew it was the one.  I ordered it and it came in around September or October.  I am having my first fitting done in July and I am hoping it will only need a bustle and to attach the one shoulder strap that it has. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
    image 125 Are ready to party
    image 23 Are no fun!
    image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet
  • The first time I went dress shopping I had something in mind and ended up getting something semi total opposite, everything is different except the fabric.  

I go for my final fitting in July and that's it, and I won't see my dress again til the wedding.  I bought the sample size too.  Even if you have your dress already, most people wait til it's closer to get the fittings done, so that's not usually an issue, except if you have the long distance from the dress issue like I do.  I'm not worried about the size since the dress is a corset, so it gives flexibility, and I'm working on losing weight for the honeymoon, so losing it for the wedding dress is a bonus.  

Where have you been looking and what styles do you like?  If you have a price range and a dress style in mind you should be able to find something for under $500 if you want brand new.  If you don't mind slightly used, there are ton more options for cheaper prices.  If you give us some guidance I'm sure the ladies can help, since most of us are great bargain shoppers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards