Luxury Weddings

Does anyone read this board?

1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive?
2. Where are you getting married/did you get married?
3. What was your biggest splurge?
4. Describe or AW your dress.
5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community?
6. Where's your honeymoon?

Re: Does anyone read this board?

• I mostly read this board, as I'm already married. I really wanted to post over here because when I got married the first time and had the big, traditional, luxury wedding, they did not have this board and I got flamed every time I posted specifics about my wedding. I guess people thought I was bragging, but I really just wanted to share and participate. Anyway:

1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive?  I think it's all of those things rolled into one- extreme attention to detail with ensuring that your guests are completely taken care of. I think it would be hard to do a luxury wedding on a smaller budget, but I guess it's possible. My second wedding may fall into that category. We spent a lot of money on the DW, but the actual wedding portion was not that much because it was just to the two of us. We splurged on the location.

2. Where are you getting married/did you get married? August 2012 on Wilson Island in Australia

3. What was your biggest splurge? The resorts for our wedding and HM. Wilson Island and Lizard Island. For my first marriage, it was the reception site/inclusions. Full top shelf bar, martini bar, large cocktail hour, custom cake, several course meal.

4. Describe or AW your dress. I have a pic in my siggy, but doubt it shows it very well. It looks a lot like the J Crew Avery dress, but I had it custom made with higher end silk.

5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community? For me, it doesn't matter since I know where it's at :) I do think it's buried and hard for others to find.

6. Where's your honeymoon? Lizard Island, Australia. It was AMAZING! My first marriage HM was to French Polynesia- Tahiti, Taha'a, and Bora Bora. That was also an amazing trip, even if it didn't last

• I know what you mean! I didn't post a lot of things I would have liked to. I actually didn't know this board existed until a week ago. I only found it because I wanted to make a joke about moderating the least active board on the site. I actually wished for a while that there was a board like this. I'm sad that I'm just finding it now because so much of the planning is already done now. I hope I can revive it and be a resource to others after I get married in July.

Your wedding sounds over-the-top beautiful. I originally wanted a DW, but I really wanted my grandma to be at my wedding. Unfortunately, she didn't make it so we could have probably had one and avoided a lot of the drama that comes with having so many people at the wedding.

Here are my answers to my own questions:

1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive?

For me a luxury wedding is one where everything (or most things) is top-of-the-line: plated multi-course dinner, top shelf liquors, custom invitations, fancy table settings, lush flowers, etc. Guests are completely taken care of: no gaps between ceremony and cocktail hour, no cash bar, and a seat for every person. I also think it would be hard to consider a wedding luxury on a small budget since the details are so important.

The W Hotel in Hoboken, NJ. 

Of course the venue was the most expensive, but not necessarily the biggest splurge. I'd say the biggest splurge was our videographers (http://www.hartpictures.com). They were triple the price of anyone else we met with and the people filming our videos have worked on actual films. I am more excited about the videographer than any other vendor so it's worth it. Another splurge would be piping and draping. Our planner came in and felt that the doors and some other spots needed to be covered. I almost passed out when I saw how much something that is basically a curtain is.

Here is my dress: http://items4.tradesy.com/images/item/weddings/enzoani/4-s/enzoani-diana-wedding-dress-89379-1.jpg. I have a white flower instead of the brownish-gray one.

5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community?

I would be more likely. Finding it on my phone is a real chore.

We're going to Hawaii. I think we're going to stay here: http://www.starwoodhotelshawaii.com/kauai/princeville-resorts/. We have loads of Starwood points from having our wedding at the W and from the traveling we do throughout the year. We are planning to go in the winter though.
  • I'm a Starwood Platinum member! Love the W brand and Princeville Resorts! We're actually heading to Princeville on Saturday, but since we're bringing my stepdaughter,we've decided to stay at the Westin. I'm saving my points for something special, just not sure what yet!  We cashed out over 200K points 2011 to go to Mauritius and the Seychelles.

Your wedding sounds amazing! There were definitely some good aspects to having a traditional wedding the first time around and I think you'll enjoy it. I really loved all of the details and choosing vendors that fit my style (I, too, splurged on a video and photographer, but obviously not enjoying it now! LOL) but it was SO nice to avoid the drama this time around. We had this amazingly private and personal ceremony and day with just the two of us.

• I stumbled in here and the word "Starwood" caught my attention. If any of you would like a laugh at some point, I did an assignment for my business writing class where I had to pick a company and invent an ethical breach for that company. I chose Starwood! The assignment is pretty priceless. PM if you want it. :)
  • Hi, @FionaHalliwell, provided you are not trying to sell me something, I'd like to see your assignment!
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive? I agree with Jells about what Luxury means. Sparing no expense on hosting your guests.
    2. Where are you getting married/did you get married? I was married May 19th 2012
    3. What was your biggest splurge? Probably the catering and the venue. I didnt want "wedding food" so we had a catering company that could customize all 4 courses. Top shelf full bar open all night. My venue was the Chicago Public Library, since it is a public building we had to rent out the entire place as opposed to just a room.
    4. Describe or AW your dress. My dress was Lazaro(3016?), A huge ballgown with a tulle skirt. I wore an Amsale little white dress for my rehearsal dinner
    5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community? I would like it moved. Luxury isnt a theme. Plus,no one knows its here.
    6. Where's your honeymoon? Thailand
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these?  
    Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive?  I think a luxury wedding can be a combo of the above, but doesn't have to be all of the above.  For example our location would not be considered luxury. however we had a full premium open bar, multi-course menu little touches that may it more luxurious than other weddings.   I've seen people have a luxury wedding on a small budget, they just happen to have a very small guest list.   

2. Where are you getting married/did you get married?  We got married at a beach club in Cape May, NJ.  

3. What was your biggest splurge?  Food and beverage.

4. Describe or AW your dress.  My dress was hand made in Paris by a Cymbline  (not very well known in the states or at least not when I got married).   It was strapless with a corset back.  Not a lot of detail.   Actually I think people would be surprised at the cost because it was fairly simple.  I bought it because it was exactly what I wanted.   The fact it was made in Paris was just fluke.  I'm not a designer brand person.  I would have bought a $99 dress if I had found one I liked.

5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community?  Not sure.

6. Where's your honeymoon?  Amsterdam, Ulusaba, South Africa, Paris, New York.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive?
    I think a luxury wedding means your guest are treated extra special and you pay close attention to all the details. I'm doing a luxury wedding on a small budget but we are only having 25-30 guests.
    Ceremony at our church and reception at a private country club.
    Definitely the food.
    Ivory lace sheath, strapless with a sequined sash by Vera Wang
    Yes that was how I found it.
    We haven't booked it yet, but probably Hawaii. We are taking our honeymoon a couple of months after the wedding though because of work.

• MstellahMstellah member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
    1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? I think it really comes down to price/guest so for instance a "smaller" budget like $15-20k can still be luxurious if you're only inviting a dozen people. 2. Where are you getting married/did you get married? Downtown Chicago 3. What was your biggest splurge? Its hard to say. Catering definitely cost the most but i don't consider it a splurge. I think my dress, the band and my shoes are some of the more expensive things considering alternatives we could have went with. 4. Describe or AW your dress. Kenneth Pool - sheath dress with intricate hand beading 5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community? More likely, I used to come here but it was always dead. I feel like its picking up now 6. Where's your honeymoon? South Africa (safari) then a resort off the coast of Mozambique (relaxation)
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Mstellah said:
    1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? I think it really comes down to price/guest so for instance a "smaller" budget like $15-20k can still be luxurious if you're only inviting a dozen people. 2. Where are you getting married/did you get married? Downtown Chicago 3. What was your biggest splurge? Its hard to say. Catering definitely cost the most but i don't consider it a splurge. I think my dress, the band and my shoes are some of the more expensive things considering alternatives we could have went with. 4. Describe or AW your dress. Kenneth Pool - sheath dress with intricate hand beading 5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community? More likely, I used to come here but it was always dead. I feel like its picking up now 6. Where's your honeymoon? South Africa (safari) then a resort off the coast of Mozambique (relaxation)
    I am from Chicago and got married downtown. Where are you having your reception? Mine was at Harold Washington Library
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive?

I think it's putting more of an emphasis on QUALITY over quantity. Great food, music, venue - and providing special perks, like free valet, security, and great goodies for guests to walk away with. I'm really excited to provide my guests with free valet! It's one of those things that just kind of makes your night.

Milwaukee, WI at the Woman's Club.

I splurged on chair rental and a band. The venue is beautiful and it offers really amazing food - but it's quite reasonable so it afforded us a little extra money to spend on other things.

Michaela by Modern Trousseau. It's a full a-line with a big sash that can be tied into a bow (I'll be wearing the bow in the front) and pockets. For snacks, obviously. It's made out of gorgeous, matte Thai silk.

More likely. But isn't it already a main board?

Still deciding! Possibly St. Lucia or Belize, as we'd like both beaches and nice hiking.
  • 1.) I think a luxury wedding can be done on a small budget in certain circumstances - very small guest list and/or special personal connections that result in high-end services performed complimentary or steeply discounted.  But, generally, I think luxury weddings come with high price tags.

2.) This month at my country club!

3.) Food and drinks - hired mixologist and chef to create special drink and hors d'oeurve recipes for our event; definitely allocating the majority of our budget to cocktail hour and dinner.  Dream splurge would have been the Tiffany & Co. 1920s style headband.  But my wedding is definitely not enough of a "Luxury Wedding" to budget for a $200,000 headband. :(

4.) a vintage 1920s ivory silk wedding dress from an antique store.  The design is being altered slightly - still a 1920s style though.

5.) More likely to post.  I wish I had found this board sooner. 

6.) Honeymoon is in Portugal!

• @KatWAG - I loved your post!  I went to school in Chicago - the Harold Washington library is an AMAZING venue for a reception!!!

It can absolutely be done on a "smaller" budget! (Quotes because I know plenty of people who have gotten married for $5000 or under.) For me, it's about class, quality, and the overall look and feel, not how much money you threw at the problem. Money can't buy class, after all.

We will be having the wedding in Michigan with my family, but we aren't sure where yet. Most of the venues we really like, that are actually realistic, tend to be in either Detroit or Grand Rapids. We will see when we see! Anyway, then we are having a small, beachy "second reception" in our own neck of the woods, for our friends and his family. 

Not sure yet. It might end up being the venue or catering, since we are insanely specific about both of them. 

I haven't picked the dress yet; however, I have a few in mind. I'm probably not getting a traditional wedding dress, though; I'm going to look at a bunch of white Sherri Hills. :) 

5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of TheKnot community?

"Luxury weddings" is NOT a "theme"!!! ;) 

We're thinking Mexico. We just love a good margarita! 

•  

I'd do anything for a good margarita right now!

•  

I'd do anything for a good margarita right now!
    Pfft, tell me about it. Me too! I just dared to venture on over to the so-called "etiquette" board. xD
  • OMG- scary ;-) haha
  • @Rachel-Elise - Some knotties are nicer than others.  Some aren't always nice, but they're really funny (see the Snarky Brides board when you're in the mood).  And some are neither nice nor funny. 
  • Thanks, ladies. xD Gisellerina, are you a dancer? 
  • @Rachel-Elise - used to be!  Now I'm a boring corporate-type who only dances when I can fit in open adult classes.  I'm guessing you are or were since you picked up on the name!?!?
  • LOL, thanks, Sleeper! I need it. ;) 

Gisellerina, pretty much. I hear you. I'm really only cut out for dancing, though, and a few other non-money-making things, so after trying to find a "real job" I've pretty much gone back to the entertainment world. x-P 

Anyway, ladies, I'm off to bed. Thanks for the mini-chat! :) 
  • Woah... Just read through some of it. Hugs darling! : )

What type of dance? I used to dance before I had my children.
  • Aren't you on the July 2013 boards?! Your SN looks so familiar!
    Thanks for livin' up this board again -- it makes me sad it has been so deserted this whole time.

1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive? Definitely attention to detail, and providing every nicety for your guests. Luxury doesn't have to mean expensive, but I do imagine more money makes it much easier!

2. Where are you getting married/did you get married? Auberge du Soleil in Napa Valley

3. What was your biggest splurge? The food. I am so excited for dinner, I can't even put it into words. Next biggest would be the wedding planner, but thankfully she has helped me save money in other areas, haha.

4. Describe or AW your dress. This dress, but with a sweetheart neckline and different sash.

5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community? Maybe more, since I always forget about this place because it's so hidden from everything else.

6. Where's your honeymoon? Cancun, Mexico! Hello margaritas and sunshine! :D

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @elizabetheleven Ballet and Irish dance, actually. I do some other showbiz-related things, as well, but definitely not "that type" of "dance"--lol! ;) 

Thanks for the hugs. If it weren't for the Luxury Weddings ladies actually having some manners and decorum, I think I'd leave. >.< "Ain't nobody got time fo dat!" (Pertaining to thread drama.) 
  • 1. I think luxury weddings are when the guests are well taken care and the couple has paid a lot of attention to the detail and personalizing their wedding. I certainly don't think a dollar amount determines luxury.
    2. We are getting married on 7/7/2014 on Maui at Haiku Mill :-)
    3. At this point I'm not sure what my biggest splurge will end up being- our venue was a splurge since they are fairly exclusive as to what vendors are allowed on the property.
    4. I absolutely fell in love with my dress- I picked it before we even knew the venue because I loved it so much! It's pretty unique but I am using it to design the whole wedding and it fits our venue perfectly.
    5. I'm pretty sure the board has been moved- thankfully! I was too scared to post on other boards because there were some pretty viscous responses.
    6. We haven't decided on our honeymoon yet since we are getting married in Maui we will probably stay there for the remainder of the week. FI is in residency so is only allowed to take one week off at a time.
  • @racheogle omg omg omg...your dress is amaaaaaazing. Can I ask who makes it??
  • @lschwar2 Ian Stuart :-) and thank you!
  • @racheogle I adore your dress. Gorgeous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 1. What in your opinion makes a wedding a luxury wedding? Is it the amount of money spent? How you take care of your guests? The location? All of these? Some of these? Can a luxury wedding be done on a small budget or are these mutually exclusive? I think a luxury is more about the experience than budget. We had a "luxury" wedding on a budget.

2. Where are you getting married/did you get married? New Jersey

3. What was your biggest splurge? Bag piper, full vinease (sp?) hour, raw and sushi bar

4. Describe or AW your dress. It was an AA Disney princess gown

5. Would you be more likely or equally likely to post on this board if it was moved to the main part of theKnot community? I didn't even know it existed before.

6. Where's your honeymoon? Southern caribbean cruise

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards