Not Engaged Yet

It's Scripps Spelling Bee Week!

Okay, so I'm way too excited over this, but here's something else to do tomorrow when you're not here: it's Scripps Spelling Bee Week! (Why yes, Chrome, I spelled that correctly - get rid of the squiggly line.) Anyone else planning to watch/listen at work? 

I heard they've added a vocabulary test this year so the spellers actually have to be able to define the words. I don't know that it would make much of a difference because if you know the spellings of the root words, you already also probably know their definitions and can deduce the definitions of the spelling words. That could be because I studied way too much Latin in high school, and my instructor was huge on derivation.

Re: It's Scripps Spelling Bee Week!

• I did a spelling bee at my elementary school and won. That's the closest I ever got to Scripps. I'm sure there was something else I was supposed to do, but as a kid I was really disorganized (my desk says I still am), and I missed out. Cool that you got so close, Liv, but a bummer to miss out.
  • I usually try to catch the spelling bee if I know it's on. I don't really have an opinion on the vocab part except that there is definitely a difference between being able to spell a word and knowing what it means. It kind of seems like a weird addition to the event though, to me it seems like it's asking the kids to compete on two completely different things (at least in my mind). But I think it adds more value to the competition though...I mean who really cares if you can spell every word in the dictionary but have no idea what it means?

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I spelled 'fifteen' wrong in the spelling bee in 5th grade. 

It still haunts me.

• RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    It came down to one other child and me for an elementary spelling bee.  My word was "awesome."  I failed at it.  As penance, I swore to forever embody that word.

Sometimes I catch bits of the Scripps Bee. I also can't help but wonder as I watch, how many of these kids really want this for themselves, versus being pushed by their parents to succeed?  I dislike the hothouse mentality many parents have for their kids that puts undue pressure on them.

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    @LivLeighton -- What was your word?

• In 5th grade, the word 'raspberry' knocked me out of the competition. In 4th grade, it was lieutenant. You bet your sweet bippy I've remembered how to spell them ever since.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Time to break out the Psych episode "Spellingg Bee" (season one, episode two). It's hilarious!
  • @LivLeighton: GAH!

@leia1979: Now I have an excuse to watch Psych! It's been in my Netflix queue, but I haven't bothered to watch it yet.
  • @LivLeighton: GAH!

@leia1979: Now I have an excuse to watch Psych! It's been in my Netflix queue, but I haven't bothered to watch it yet.
    Do it! The pilot is a little meh, but Spellingg Bee is the start of awesome.
  • @leia1979 - You are officially my favorite person of the day for making the Psych reference! It's one of my all time favorite shows!

@KeptInStitches - You must watch Psych! It's fantastic and the spelling bee episode is one of my favorite ones :)

• Semifinals just finished. I don't like all the rule changes this year. It used to be they spelled in rounds during the semis until they had 12 kids or fewer left. This year, they spelled 2 rounds and had a written vocab/spelling test combined to make up the semifinal score. There were 18 spellers on stage and 11 of them moved on to the finals. I'd hate to be one of the 7 that didn't.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    That sucks! Just let them spell!

• I always thought I was a nerd since I love the spelling bee. I'm so glad there are more nerds here!!

I made it out of my class spelling bee in 7th grade and bombed the school one lol. But there were people in the audience!! I'm shy dangit
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Exactly! I was at the er (again) today having a panic attack about needles as usual since I needed an iv and I was like I have no problem handling my public speaking teaching anxiety but needles? Planes? Things I haven't done before? They kill me
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I'm a really good speller, but always lost spelling bees because I can't spell out loud. I have to write it down. It always made me so mad, because I never won a bee in my life :-(

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Liv, this is a way dead topic but I just saw that Arvind won!! And I love him :)

I was in the er for dehydration twice last week cause apparently flagyl and I don't get along (I have a stomach infection caused by c diff) I'm now on new antibiotics and feeling a lot better. I even went to work today (I haven't been in like two weeks so that's kinda a big deal)

Sorry for taking forever to reply
  • And the armchair spellers are challenging the correct spelling of the word "knaidel." Like we can spell it on a daily basis anyway, and his spelling was listed in the dictionary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards