Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Beauty and the Beast wedding theme

2»

Re: Beauty and the Beast wedding theme

• Options
    Stacks of books as part of the centerpieces.  You can put the glass cloche and red rose on top.

*Belle is the only Disney princess I like (well, at least until Disney aquires Princess Leia) and her intellectual curiosity and love of reading is a big reason why.
    I would like to point out that 9 months after this post disney had @goodluckbear14
    Anniversary
  • Options
    cocos55cocos55 member
    First Comment
    I'd like to point out that she posted on here for HELP not CRITICISM... 

I am also doing the Beauty And the Beast Theme. Im married already and we HAD to do it in a courthouse so now it's time for me to have fun. We are in love with Disney and my husband knows that this is my favorite and he is happy to go along with it. It has nothing to do with who we are.. We just want to incorporated because we LIKE it. People know that I am Disney obsessed so they would be okay with it because you know it's our wedding. 

Anyways the way you are going is great.. I think the only OUT THERE things I am doing is the song down the aisle, be our guest at dinner, the invites have B&B wording, and our table will habe the "enchanted rose" 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but we're not going to validate ideas that we don't think are good, regardless of what her reason was for posting.

Also, it is not appropriate to claim that she posted for HELP not CRITICISM.  She is not entitled to have everyone who responds agree with her.  Adults accept that not everyone agrees rather than claiming that she posted for X not Y.
  • Options
    jcrmcjcrmc member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    OP didnt ask for opinions on her theme...rather, she asked for opinions on keeping things classic/classy rather than childish.

SO. My honest opinion, is that you have a great idea with the colours - i say keep things lush and luxurious feeling (even if it isnt expensive). If I were there, I would love to see lots of books, fine china, candelabras, lace doilies (but not TOO grandma-ish), tea pots, roses roses roses, linens, make sure it is black tie formal etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2013
    jcrmc said:
    OP didnt ask for opinions on her theme...rather, she asked for opinions on keeping things classic/classy rather than childish.

It doesn't matter what she "asked for." By posting on the Internet (or even just plain speaking out), one is going to get an opinion-and an adult accepts that, whether they like it or not.  They do not respond with "So-and-so didn't ask for opinions."  Oh yes the OP did.
  • Options
    You ask for opinions and input by the act of posting.  You will get comments you "didn't ask for" and advice with which you do not agree.  Anyone who wants to say, "I didn't ask you if...." should probably converse with children instead of adults.
    This is funny.  See, I see it the opposite way.  When I teach kids, I teach them to NOT jump in with negativity.  "You don't have to like Suzie's shoes, but you should NOT tease her and make her feel bad about them.  That's very rude."  Kids can be WAY more awful than adults because they haven't learned a filter yet--they will tell pretty much anyone "you smell, your teeth are crooked, your hair looks stupid, that Catie wimp and we should tell everyone not to play with her".  To me, it's adults that should have the filter learned (Something many here disagree with, apparently).  If she was asking if she should have a theme, then all of the "Don't do its" would make sense.  However, she didn't--she wanted decor ideas.  

At most, a respectful adult would have said something like "Make sure you're thinking about you and your husband 50 years from now, make sure you're planning a wedding you'll enjoy today, a year from now, and 50 years from now."  To me, that's tasteful and appropriate advice.  

But people coming in and saying a dozen variations --"That's such a drag, I'd side-eye that, It's tacky, I hate it, It's childish, What a stupid movie, you're calling your groom a beast" is MUCH more childish language in my opinion.  That's the language that kids speak--they love to talk about what they don't like. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    You ask for opinions and input by the act of posting.  You will get comments you "didn't ask for" and advice with which you do not agree.  Anyone who wants to say, "I didn't ask you if...." should probably converse with children instead of adults.
    This is funny.  See, I see it the opposite way.  When I teach kids, I teach them to NOT jump in with negativity.  "You don't have to like Suzie's shoes, but you should NOT tease her and make her feel bad about them.  That's very rude."  Kids can be WAY more awful than adults because they haven't learned a filter yet--they will tell pretty much anyone "you smell, your teeth are crooked, your hair looks stupid, that Catie wimp and we should tell everyone not to play with her".  To me, it's adults that should have the filter learned (Something many here disagree with, apparently).  If she was asking if she should have a theme, then all of the "Don't do its" would make sense.  However, she didn't--she wanted decor ideas.  

At most, a respectful adult would have said something like "Make sure you're thinking about you and your husband 50 years from now, make sure you're planning a wedding you'll enjoy today, a year from now, and 50 years from now."  To me, that's tasteful and appropriate advice.  

But people coming in and saying a dozen variations --"That's such a drag, I'd side-eye that, It's tacky, I hate it, It's childish, What a stupid movie, you're calling your groom a beast" is MUCH more childish language in my opinion.  That's the language that kids speak--they love to talk about what they don't like. 
    I think we need to call this a draw.

I agree with you that the particular bolded expressions aren't nice ways of expressing oneself or constructive.

On the other hand, you're not entitled to no negativity at all, and you were calling people various unpleasant names for not being positive, including "condescending" and "rude."  That's also not an appropriate way to address adults.

Nobody here is entitled to expect 100% agreement with whatever they are suggesting, and whether or not someone asked for a "skip it" opinion isn't relevant.  If we don't think an idea is a good one, we are not going to endorse it by suggesting ways to do it.  You don't have the right to expect people not to say "don't do it."
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    cocos55 said:

I am also doing the Beauty And the Beast Theme. Im married already and we HAD to do it in a courthouse so now it's time for me to have fun. We are in love with Disney and my husband knows that this is my favorite and he is happy to go along with it. It has nothing to do with who we are.. We just want to incorporated because we LIKE it. People know that I am Disney obsessed so they would be okay with it because you know it's our wedding. 

Anyways the way you are going is great.. I think the only OUT THERE things I am doing is the song down the aisle, be our guest at dinner, the invites have B&B wording, and our table will habe the "enchanted rose" 

::SHM::

You didnt have to do a courthouse wedding. I assume you werent forcibly dragged to the courthouse. You chose to do a courthouse wedding. I am sure you had your reasons. But that  does NOT make it acceptable to have another wedding.

You are a wife, not a bride. Celebrate that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A bit of hating on themes . . . I think the ceremony, be it religious or otherwise, should be more serious, but the reception is a big party.  And parties have themes.  The themes can really help you get to know the bride and groom and what they like.  It's a way from breaking from the tradition and showing your own uniqueness.
    I love some of the themes that have been mentioned. 

And @SilverSarahB - your sci-fi wedding sounds AWESOME!!!  I have a friend who would have loved to have Patrick Stewart announce them - she loves him more for his Shakespearean theater than Star Trek, but she would have loved that. 

• Options
    When you marry someone, you are making a lifetime commitment. By definition, it is solemn. It can be joyous and happy too, they aren't mutually exclusive, but marriage is serious, regardless of whether or not you are religious.
    Well, I do get what you're trying to say, but I don't completely agree.  Marriage is an important decision, to be sure.  However, I don't see the ceremony as being required to be solemn.  It isn't solemn to me.  It's beautiful, happy, cathartic, celebratory, but it doesn't have the "serious, solemn" undertone. (Solemn, to me, is very tied to religion because the connotation to me is the experience of having a religious experience, of serious repercussions or meanings beyond the world.)  

The "serious" part, to me, was the decision to get married:  the building of the relationship to this point.  It took a lot of very serious thought, consideration, discussions...the decision to get married was solemn.  I was very serious when I was considering if marrying this man was what I wanted...was the right choice for me as an individual and us as a couple.  Now, we've decided our path and we're going to party on down that path until we find a reason not to (I also don't see marriage as being necessarily lifelong, although it is always a beautiful thing when it is lifelong).  I know that not everyone sees it like I do, but, it's still the way I see it.  

I believe the cliche is Negative NELLIE, not Nancy.
    I've always used Negative Nancy, but "Nellie" sounds familiar, too.  Maybe Nellie is used more frequently overall?
  • Options
    MrsH86MrsH86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I havent read the entire thread but did you know there are Disney themed dresses at Alfred Angelo Bridal?! Get the Belle dress!!! :)
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • Options
    Both Negative Nelly and Negative Nancy are phrases.

• Options
    I used a song from this CD: "Disney Fairytale Wedding" (<- link to Amazon) for the bridal party processional. The songs are beautiful and not too over the top Disney. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    fre3domsfre3doms member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    I personally like the idea of a Beauty and the Beast themed wedding. That's my favorite Disney movie and fairytale. If I was having a big wedding I would walk down the aisle to the "Transformation." We are having a party about a month later and my dancing music will include a lot of Disney songs. And my wedding dress will look like Belle's gold dress but in white. My boyfriend even brought me a single red rose to our first date.
    If you want to do a theme and you both agree go right ahead! Books, roses, maybe some mirrors or candelabra would hint at the theme without getting too much like a cartoon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When you marry someone, you are making a lifetime commitment. By definition, it is solemn. It can be joyous and happy too, they aren't mutually exclusive, but marriage is serious, regardless of whether or not you are religious.
    Well, I do get what you're trying to say, but I don't completely agree.  Marriage is an important decision, to be sure.  However, I don't see the ceremony as being required to be solemn.  It isn't solemn to me.  It's beautiful, happy, cathartic, celebratory, but it doesn't have the "serious, solemn" undertone. (Solemn, to me, is very tied to religion because the connotation to me is the experience of having a religious experience, of serious repercussions or meanings beyond the world.)  

The "serious" part, to me, was the decision to get married:  the building of the relationship to this point.  It took a lot of very serious thought, consideration, discussions...the decision to get married was solemn.  I was very serious when I was considering if marrying this man was what I wanted...was the right choice for me as an individual and us as a couple.  Now, we've decided our path and we're going to party on down that path until we find a reason not to (I also don't see marriage as being necessarily lifelong, although it is always a beautiful thing when it is lifelong).  I know that not everyone sees it like I do, but, it's still the way I see it.  

I've always used Negative Nancy, but "Nellie" sounds familiar, too.  Maybe Nellie is used more frequently overall?
    Really?  I guess if your significant other is on board with the same thought, that's fine.  Wouldn't work for me.   
  • Options

Ok, if you 'don't understand' themed weddings why comment? She was asking for ideas to prevent her wedding from looking like a 'six year olds birthday party' not what people thought of her theme. My fiancee and I are also doing a Beauty and the Beast theme and yes it will be the Disney version because we have 5 children, 4 of which are girls who adore that movie and so do I. Just because it's Disney doesn't make it childish. We aren't using any cartoon looking elements and yet you can still tell what it is. Thank you to all who posted helpful comments. It makes planning this thing a little easier when I don't have to filter through negativity that was just not needed.

• Options
    We, too, are doing Beauty and the Beast!!  It's so great that we aren't the only ones :)

Our colors are the same as yours, and we are trying to come up with ideas for decorations for the reception.  Roses are a must, but don't over do it.  Pinterest has a MILLION great ideas :)

• Options

You go, girl! Has it happened yet? I am using the phrase "Inspired By Beauty and the Beast" for my wedding. Navy and buttery-gold all the way for me! Starting with the invitations and then candlesticks and rose petals for centerpieces.  The cake has rosy gold designs on it. My bridesmaids have navy dresses with yellow roses and my bouquet is the red rose. Even the gents got in on the action, with navy vests under their tuxes and yellow roses pinned over their hearts. Mostly though, my engagment party and bridal shower is where I had the most fun with the theme.  My favorite part? My ceremony is going to take place at a local castle.

Make it your day!

• Options
    Oh what a fun theme! If you're a fan of Belle's dress, go for a similar style. The china and glasses could resemble those in the movie. Incorporate red roses in the bouquets. I like what the other woman said to have a clock and candleholder near the guestbook table. And to really get the mood going, have your reception in a ballroom venue! 

I Adore your idea and if you and the groom love it, then go for it!! 
  • Options
    What a lovely idea for a wedding theme!!  So unique - and with such lovely options for decorating and so forth.  I hope all you ladies have beautiful weddings!!
  • Options

Hi There fredettea1 ,

I am also having a Beauty and the Beast themed day!! Again we're having it so its not shooved down peoples throats we're having red roses for flowers and the guys are in navy suits with gold waistcoats. Our centrepeices are candelabras with red roses intertwined through them. I am also walking down to a violin & Piano version of tale as old as time it is beautiful. We're having beauty and the beast cake toppers as well.

That is it, hows your prepation going? I have almost finished planning all our big bits now and we don't get married until April :-)

Oooh we're alos having activity packs on the tables as favours for the youngers children attending but these are just Disney orientated to keep the kids happy during the speeches :-) 

• Options
    edited March 2014
    OwningAHome1981- Bar and bat mitzahs are not themed and it is extremely offensive that you would even use that to argue your point in this. Don't use religious rituals and celebrations when you know Nothing About Them! Also, they are to celebrate coming of age; adulthood. Not something "childish" as you put it. Do some research before talking about something.

-And to everyone else who is voicing negativity on here. The wedding has nothing to do with family except that the bride and group are being so gracious as to invite them to watch. Whatever they decide to do to make that day special for the two of them-is up to them! This lady asked for help and ideas. She didn't give you all permission to bash her free will to decide what to do by rudely telling her how your personal thought on what a wedding should be. You all need to grow up, act like adults and leave the petty childish/controlling comments to yourselves. It really disappoints me at how many of you women have grown up but never learned how to think and act like an adult.
  • Options
    OwningAHome1981- Bar and bat mitzahs are not themed and it is extremely offensive that you would even use that to argue your point in this. Don't use religious rituals and celebrations when you know Nothing About Them! Also, they are to celebrate coming of age; adulthood. Not something "childish" as you put it. Do some research before talking about something. -And to everyone else who is voicing negativity on here. The wedding has nothing to do with family except that the bride and group are being so gracious as to invite them to watch. Whatever they decide to do to make that day special for the two of them-is up to them! This lady asked for help and ideas. She didn't give you all permission to bash her free will to decide what to do by rudely telling her how your personal thought on what a wedding should be. You all need to grow up, act like adults and leave the petty childish/controlling comments to yourselves. It really disappoints me at how many of you women have grown up but never learned how to think and act like an adult.
    Dude, nobody had posted in this thread in 5 months. Who do you think you're talking to?

@KnotPorscha, can we get a closed thread here, please?
  • Options
    We are also having a beauty and the beast themed wedding. We are going to have the rose under the glass, candelabras, and we were thinking about doing something with a stack of books with a nice teapot on top of it. we are also going to play "be our guest" as dinner is being served.Another thing we are trying to find is a guest book that says be our guest on it, and we had invitations with roses on them.
  • Options
    @KnotPorscha, zombie thread!  She's married by now, sheesh.
  • Options
    OwningAHome1981- Bar and bat mitzahs are not themed and it is extremely offensive that you would even use that to argue your point in this. Don't use religious rituals and celebrations when you know Nothing About Them! Also, they are to celebrate coming of age; adulthood. Not something "childish" as you put it. Do some research before talking about something. -And to everyone else who is voicing negativity on here. The wedding has nothing to do with family except that the bride and group are being so gracious as to invite them to watch. Whatever they decide to do to make that day special for the two of them-is up to them! This lady asked for help and ideas. She didn't give you all permission to bash her free will to decide what to do by rudely telling her how your personal thought on what a wedding should be. You all need to grow up, act like adults and leave the petty childish/controlling comments to yourselves. It really disappoints me at how many of you women have grown up but never learned how to think and act like an adult.
    Congrats on your first post!  Please note, message boards work best when you're responding to current messages with members that are still around.  

• Options
     Regarding the bolded, so do you.

@KnotPorscha, looks like we have another zombie thread to close.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards