Not Engaged Yet

Cont: Cake - How to Fire a Vendor

Good morning ladies! Can you believe it's already Wednesday? With the Monday holiday, my week is flying by!

After hearing all of you confirm that I was not crazy pants for getting a bit anxious about my cake baker, I decided I really need to trust my gut on this one. FI and I talked about it last night and we both agreed that we should have our caterer do our wedding cake. They got back to us same day with a quote and answered all of our questions. Basically, our caterer is awesome! I'm good with the decision, but now I have the lovely job of firing our previous baker. I've drafted an email, but just wanted to see if you all had any thoughts/suggestions. I intentionally put this in writing so it would be documented...but if you feel I need to follow up with a phone call as well, let me know. Thanks girls!

Patty,

Chad and I would like to cancel our wedding cake order for Date with you. I’m a little nervous about working with you since you don’t respond to my emails and texts in a timely manner, and sometimes not at all. We don’t have a contract, you haven’t asked for a deposit; to be honest the whole process to date has felt unorganized and I just don’t want to worry about these details this close to the wedding. Thank you so much for bringing us samples to taste; you truly are a talented baker. I wish you the best of luck with your business. Sorry we won’t be able to work together.

Sincerely,

Me

Re: Cont: Cake - How to Fire a Vendor

• OK - I'm a doofus. Totally forgot it was "Weddingbee Wednesday" around here. Save this for tomorrow I guess. I'm done for the day now. Sorry ladies!
  • I forgot about Weddingbee Wednesday, too, so here I am. I figure one post won't kill the mojo, so after this one, I'm gone.

My thought is that you don't need to fire a vendor that you don't have a contract with. If you really feel like you need to make a clean break, I'd make it simple:

Patty,
    Thank you for answering my previous questions. At this time, we've decided to go with another baker.

Sincerely,
    Allusive

If she responds and asks for why, THEN you can get into her lack of responsiveness.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'll second @cu97tiger . If it makes you feel more comfortable, just explain that your caterer will be more convenient for you. Keep it simple for sure. 

I'm new, so I just realized that no one's here. oops.
  • I haven't been around for a few weeks - WTH is weddingbee Wednesday?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was literally just going to type exactly what cu87tiger said, so I'll just second what she said.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Tiger's response is perfect.

• @mymissingpuzzlepiece What a cute wedding photo!

@hummingbird125 To show the Knot Gods what traffic would be like without all the regs, they devised 'Weddingbee Wednesday' where we generally stayed away from TK (and visited WB if we were so inclined).

• Thanks ladies. I guess I figured that since we'd had a tasting and emailed her our choice of cake, she deserved more of an explaination. I think she simply doesn't do contracts. At least she's never mentioned one.
  • I think if you're feeling strange about giving no further explanation, you could do an abbreviated version of your original message as a hybrid with Tiger's. 

"Hi Patty,

Thank you for answering my previous questions and for the delicious samples you brought us to try. We were hoping to have a bit more consistent communication and a formalized contract with our chosen baker as we're so close to our wedding date, so at this time we've opted to use the bakery service associated with our caterer. 

Best,
    Allusive"
    Liv FTW

• Thanks Liv! I love the response you wrote. It doesn't sound like a firing, but it does express my concerns. This is great!
  • @cu97tiger  Thanks! It's one of my favorites. 
  • I think if you're feeling strange about giving no further explanation, you could do an abbreviated version of your original message as a hybrid with Tiger's. 

"Hi Patty,

Thank you for answering my previous questions and for the delicious samples you brought us to try. We were hoping to have a bit more consistent communication and a formalized contract with our chosen baker as we're so close to our wedding date, so at this time we've opted to use the bakery service associated with our caterer. 

Best,
    Allusive"
    I think this is perfect. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards