Wedding Reception Forum

seating arrangements

We are having a wedding with around 40 guests. the venue is small and the co-ordinator had mentioned that our table will be placed at the top of the room with a long table running down centre of the room. the other option for seating is groups of 4 or 6. I think FI and I prefer the long table so we arent splitting groups.

Which table arrangements would you chose?

May I also ask who sits at the top table? We were thinking B+G, MOH and BM. We would have our parents and his kids closest to our table and mix the guests together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: seating arrangements

• I'd prefer the smaller tables. I always feel like I get trapped between two separate conversations when seated at a huge table. I'd also include your MOH/BMs dates at the top table with you, but otherwise that's a good plan.
  • I think that if you do the small tables, that 6 is a fine number for each one to have. However, 4 people per table seems really small. Do all of your guests know each other? Really, it will probably come down to how easy it is to split them into such small groups. If it's too challenging, do the long table.
  • As a guest, I would prefer to be seated at a round table.  I think it allows easier conversation.  I also find it a bit awkward to be stuck in the middle of a long table, especially if I don't know many people.  

I would have round tables of 6-8 people.   Definitely not 4 people.  You may have some bigger "groups", but split them up among two tables.  We had some larger groups of people that knew each other and we just put their tables next to each other. 
  • Will def ask about larger tables. but 6 seems like a good number if larger tables arent available. if my MOH is coming alone but our Best man has a gf, is it a def that we have the gf with us? neither of us like her. must i suck it up and have her sit with us? is it possible to sit her with our friends that do like her? I guess she can sit with us if she has to... (please note, i am trying to be humourous but i understand if i am falling flat in my attempt...)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Will def ask about larger tables. but 6 seems like a good number if larger tables arent available. if my MOH is coming alone but our Best man has a gf, is it a def that we have the gf with us? neither of us like her. must i suck it up and have her sit with us? is it possible to sit her with our friends that do like her? I guess she can sit with us if she has to... (please note, i am trying to be humourous but i understand if i am falling flat in my attempt...)

Yeah, I get not liking her, but seating guests apart from their dates is suuuuuper rude.  If you want to sit with the best man, you have to sit with the girlfriend, too.

Yeah, I get not liking her, but seating guests apart from their dates is suuuuuper rude.  If you want to sit with the best man, you have to sit with the girlfriend, too.
    Okay. will be polite. And put her at the side of the table closest to FMIL...she'll be on her best behaviour then :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I like small tables much better than long ones, because you can see and speak to more people.  But put 6 to 8 people at each table and keep partners together.
  • jcrmcjcrmc member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary

I agree that guests should be seated with their dates, but i have been to many weddings where the wedding party is seated at a head table, and if the date/husband/wife of a bridesmaid or groomsman isnt also part of the wedding party, they are seated with other SigOthers not in WP or with close friends, at a table very near the head table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards