Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

DJ COST

Hello, we are possibly seeking a DJ around 500 or under if this is possible.  I have done a search on here but would love some reviews for some in this area (nothing over for we couldn't afford anything really over this price range). Thanks.

Re: DJ COST

• The only one I know of who has gotten good reviews here who MIGHT be in that price range is Melodies and Memories, but I think even they are a little higher than that.
    Anniversary

• Melodies and Memories is around 800-900. I'm using them but I forget the exact cost. I feel like it was 900 but there was a discount making it 800. My mom has the actual contract since she's in Dallas and I am not. It's definitely over 500 though.
  • Thanks, we might of found someone.  :)
  • Melodies and Memories is around 800-900. I'm using them but I forget the exact cost. I feel like it was 900 but there was a discount making it 800. My mom has the actual contract since she's in Dallas and I am not. It's definitely over 500 though.
    Thanks.  I'm going off prices I was quoted in 2011, so I figured I was outdated.  =)
    Anniversary

• imjustshellimjustshell member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    All Access DJ is about $695 for 5 hours. I think his website is www.allaccessdjdfw.com . His name is Ed. That is who we are using. Hope that helps. 
  • I just saw that you found someone. My bad! :) 
  • edited June 2013
  • You are more than welcome. Sorry that I didn't see it before. :) Who did you find? 
  • mdtaylor. All Access DJ did my wedding for $495. I bet he would do yours for that as well.
  • Ed is AMAZING!! He is doing my wedding in April! Call Ed! I agree with kylesumpter! He is truly a great DJ and is incredibly affordable. The best part about him is that he will work with you on your budget to try to help you fit it in!
  • You might try Ken at texasdjken[at]aol[dot]com.  I believe he's about $650, and he comes highly recommended from my planner.  No fuss, but gets the job done well. 

We ended up going with DJ Connection, and it was $840 after the discount we got for being a vendor referral and their current promo.  We're stoked! 
  • Who did you end up using if you dont mind.  We are looking for someone in that same price range.
    Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DJ Connections is not very professional. They refuse to meet with brides and you never know what DJ you will get. You aren't even contacted by the DJ until the week of your wedding.
  • Kyle,
    I met with them last week, and my wedding isn't even until September.  I had a phone consultation with them that was set up by my planner, and a secondary meeting that they requested before I signed the agreement.  I'm sorry if your experience was not the same, but I did not have the same experience.  They are working closely with my planner to line out the events of the evening.  No complaints here. 
  • I have 4 reviews for DJ Connections and they are:  A, A-, C and F.  The last two are the most recent (although still pretty old).  Hopefully a few bad reviews caused them to get their act together.

• wair, but who is your DJ? You don't know that yet. You need a DJ who will be with you from the very beginning. You will not know who your DJ will be until right before your wedding. That is too much stress. Also, DJ connections focuses on their entertainment value instead of what the bride wants
  • wair, but who is your DJ? You don't know that yet. You need a DJ who will be with you from the very beginning. You will not know who your DJ will be until right before your wedding. That is too much stress. Also, DJ connections focuses on their entertainment value instead of what the bride wants

I don't think this is entirely true. We signed the contract with our DJ company (Complete Music) about 8 or 9 months out, and while there were about 20 DJ's to choose from, we didn't really even do that until maybe 2 months out. Even then, we didn't meet with our specific DJ until two weeks or less before the wedding. We had our paperwork all filled out (must have songs, do not play songs, spotlight dances, etc.) beforehand, so the meeting really was just about him getting to know our personalities and musical preferences. There wouldn't have been any reason to know exactly which DJ we had that far in advance. I can't think of anything I would have contacted him personally about in those 8 months inbetween; not knowing didn't stress me out--and I'm a full on control freak.

Just wanted to provide an alternate opinion on a similar circumstance.

• cort, You are different than the average bride. To me it is very impersonal do deal with a coroporate office and not your DJ. The DJ should meet with you 6 months before your wedding
  • Of course, we looked at Complete Music and did not like their attitude. They were trying to upsell us on everything and would not let us make our own decisions..so we did not book them.

I don't think this is entirely true. We signed the contract with our DJ company (Complete Music) about 8 or 9 months out, and while there were about 20 DJ's to choose from, we didn't really even do that until maybe 2 months out. Even then, we didn't meet with our specific DJ until two weeks or less before the wedding. We had our paperwork all filled out (must have songs, do not play songs, spotlight dances, etc.) beforehand, so the meeting really was just about him getting to know our personalities and musical preferences. There wouldn't have been any reason to know exactly which DJ we had that far in advance. I can't think of anything I would have contacted him personally about in those 8 months inbetween; not knowing didn't stress me out--and I'm a full on control freak.

Just wanted to provide an alternate opinion on a similar circumstance.

I definitely agree with Court.  We went through the things we absolutely wanted at the meeting, too.  We also got the name of our DJ - they made recommendations after knowing what exactly we were looking for when I talked to them to set up the appointment.  They are working closely with our coordinator to make sure they keep the mood of what we want.  I'll update after the wedding.
  • cort, You are different than the average bride. To me it is very impersonal do deal with a coroporate office and not your DJ. The DJ should meet with you 6 months before your wedding

Would you mind explaining why you feel that way?

My main concern was with was turnover. If I were to book a company with multiple DJs and chose one that ended up not being with the company anymore at the time of my wedding, would that not cause more stress that could have been prevented? I just really don't see what on earth you would have to talk in depth about that far in advance with your DJ. Looking back, I just can't see what the difference would have been between me talking to the owner of the company or my DJ with a random question 6 months out. For some, this process is a better fit than for others, which is totally fine.

• court,

A true professional DJ would start planning y0our wedding that far out. Most brides want that communication 6 months before so they can begin a relationship with their DJ. The turnover rate is not that high. Most brides get stressed if they don't know who their DJ is 1 month before their wedding.

• court,

I am also curious as to why you would pay double the amound you should for a DJ? Complete Music charges an insane amount of money and their DJ's don't even get $100 of it.

• Personally, I had a similar experience as Court. 

I went with a professional company that had multiple DJs to choose from- while we got a discount because of an ability to trade services ($1500 value), I trusted the company- not just SOLELY the DJ. Entertainment IS VERY important- they keep your party going and a bad DJ can really ruin a reception, so we would have gladly spent twice the amount any day. 

At the end of the day, we trusted the company and their reputation with other vendors, rather than the specific person. So no, I don't think that Court is ANY different than the "average" bride. I also don't see what on EARTH you would need to plan 6 months in advance with your DJ. They are there the day-of. As long as they have the music lists, names for intros, and basic timeline, I think you are good to go.
  • court,

A true professional DJ would start planning y0our wedding that far out. Most brides want that communication 6 months before so they can begin a relationship with their DJ. The turnover rate is not that high. Most brides get stressed if they don't know who their DJ is 1 month before their wedding.

Disagree.  Our DJ (who was a part of a larger company) set up a personalized website for us to specify our music selections (special songs, must-plays, do-not-plays, play-if-possibles), but I don't think we even got the link until pretty close to our wedding day, and I KNOW we didn't actually sit down and work on it until about a month out.

I didn't meet face-to-face with my DJ until the weekend before our wedding, when we sat down to go over the music selections my husband and I had set.  Our reception music was perfect, there were no glitches, and we definitely didn't feel like we'd received anything less than excellent service.

It's fine to want certain things from your vendors, but it's also fine for someone to have different expectations.
    Anniversary

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013

Oh my goodness, I had to chime in on this.  I had one of the best DJs out there and while we met and signed the contract 6 months out, and he did check in with us once or twice in the months that followed, we didn't sit down to hammer everything out until a month or two before the wedding.  I will say he had a very detailed sheet he wanted us to fill out in advance, but we only had the 2 big meetings before the wedding and everything was PERFECT.

So I'm somewhere in the middle--I loved having a personal relationship with my DJ and he is someone I keep in touch with to this day.  But saying you have to "start planning" beyond the initial consultation 6 months in advance is an overstatement IMO.

• court,

I am also curious as to why you would pay double the amound you should for a DJ? Complete Music charges an insane amount of money and their DJ's don't even get $100 of it.

How do you know how much I paid to Complete Music per our contract and how much I tipped our DJ? I didn't ask how much my DJ was being paid out of what I paid to CM, it isn't my business. I'm certain that he was fairly compensated that night.

If I paid double the going rate in DFW for a DJ, then all of the other companies that I called for quotes must have lied to me when I was doing my research back in 2010. What I paid was actually on the lower end of the spectrum. Regardless of what I paid, I was extremely happy with the service we receieved. Our DJ, Jason Eller, was professional, prompt, energetic, and kept the dance floor full all night. I really couldn't have had a better experience.

Good luck in your future planning.

• I know someone who is a DJ for Complete Music. CM charges between $700 and $1,000 per event. That is too much money. I am told Jason worked for CM for a few months before leaving. But the DJ's with CM only get around $100 per show.
  • I'm sad to hear that Jason isn't there anymore, he was great! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards