Wedding Etiquette Forum

Weird items on registry?

I was just invited to a wedding of a neighbor of mine and instead of a shower, they are his expecting gifts to brought to the wedding instead.

Taking a quick look over their list at Walmart, target, and kohls, I noticed some strange items on there such as men's underware, $200 electric razor, women's shoes, pajamas ect is I just me or are these things not meant to go on a wedding registry?

Re: Weird items on registry?

• Well, they seem weird to me. I figured it should be things for the home or even the honeymoon. I know Honeyfund is popular these days.
  • Maybe it's their way to get people to give them cash since they won't want to buy those items.  :)
  • Agreed, I couldn't imagine anyone showing up to their wedding with a pair of underware for the groom unless it was some sort of gag gift.
  • it's weird. 

One can only hope maybe it was an accident? or they put them on so they could buy it themselves with a discount? (I know Kohls does 10% off any registry item with the little cards they give you when you register).

Though just because they're not having a shower doesn't mean they expect boxed gifts at the wedding.  I always give cash at a wedding so if I'm not going to a shower I'd skip the registry altogether.

• I agree, those seem odd...

Do they already have a lot of things?  It sounds like they were desperately trying to come up with items for a registry.

• While those are definitely weird items, they aren't rude and deceptive to guests like a Honeymoon registry is.

Side note: What do you write in a thank you note for underwear? "I'll think of you when I use it"? Ew.
    I would buy the underwear just to see what the thank you note says. I mean, they registered for it....
    *********************************************************************************

• They just moved into the neighborhood and are really young fresh out of their parents house so I don't think they have much, they have a lot of other things on the registries too... I would say added all 3 places together they're registered for about 450 items.

I also always give money at the wedding, I don't think I've been to a wedding that didn't have a shower actually haha so I don't know what's proper to do.. Buy a gift since they're registered, or just give cash?

Just knowing her FI wears boxer briefs, likes black, and is a size med in underwear is already tmi

@kindasparkly I "loved" your post it made me lol inside haha
  • 450 ITEMS? WOW. They had 450 and they still felt the need to include things like UNDERWEAR? I think I'd focus on the things I needed for my new home.

Get them the underpants.  Then report back, s'il vous plait.  Merci.

(Also them being registered doesn't make it more proper to buy them a boxed gift.  I never buy boxed gifts for weddings. Always cash. It's a hassle to carry the gift around because half the time the gift table isn't available until after cocktails.)

• They just moved into the neighborhood and are really young fresh out of their parents house so I don't think they have much, they have a lot of other things on the registries too... I would say added all 3 places together they're registered for about 450 items. I also always give money at the wedding, I don't think I've been to a wedding that didn't have a shower actually haha so I don't know what's proper to do.. Buy a gift since they're registered, or just give cash? Just knowing her FI wears boxer briefs, likes black, and is a size med in underwear is already tmi @kindasparkly I "loved" your post it made me lol inside haha

If you normally give cash I'd just give cash. 

Though cash wrapped in a pair or black boxer briefs might be fun.. haha

• misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Where I'm from, it seems people always for boxed gifts, for both showers and weddings, so it might be a regional or my circle thing. Where are you from Pickle?

Could there have been a glitch in the registry? Those seem like really weird things to register for. If there was a scanner or barcode problem, and they never look at their registry, I could see that happening.
  • Being the nosy bitch that I am, I browsed a few people on the target registry list (people I don't know) to see what kinds of things they registered for. I noticed a few who had chosen games for PS3, or DVDs. It made me cringe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is from her fb.. So definitely not a glitch lol..

"finally did our reception registry yesterday! we are now registered at target, kohl's, and Wal-Mart! please do not mind the random items (underwear, pajamas, ect..) we got scan happy with the gun haha today we are starting invites! yay yay!! and since I am making them all I feel this will take FOREVER!!!! — feeling determined."

It just doesn't make sense why people would register for things of that nature.. Underwear, video games ect maybe they don't know that it's kind of tacky?

I'm not sure, but glad I'm not the only one side-eyeing their registry choices lol
  • How do you get scan happy and put underwear on there? I understand getting scan happy and putting 3 different types of place settings or different colored towels, but underwear doesn't make you scan happy.
  • I agree with @LMc0322 - buy the underwear.
  • I would SO buy the underwear. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is from her fb.. So definitely not a glitch lol.. "finally did our reception registry yesterday! we are now registered at target, kohl's, and Wal-Mart! please do not mind the random items (underwear, pajamas, ect..) we got scan happy with the gun haha today we are starting invites! yay yay!! and since I am making them all I feel this will take FOREVER!!!! — feeling determined." It just doesn't make sense why people would register for things of that nature.. Underwear, video games ect maybe they don't know that it's kind of tacky? I'm not sure, but glad I'm not the only one side-eyeing their registry choices lol
    oy....
  • I would buy the weirdest pair of underwear the store had.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I have more than one friend who's FI went off on his own and scanned "embarassing" items.

Depends adult diapers, canker sore treatment, a handheld breathilizer, you name it.

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    See, I could totally see my FI doing this as a twisted joke if I made him take part in putting items on a registry.

Hopefully she has enough sense to go and remove these items now that she is aware they are there.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My BIL added soda and baby items, like bedding and a crib. The soda was for their bar area and the baby stuff was to see who read the whole registry. He also wanted to see how many calls asking about "their baby" they would get from friends and family.

I guess for me seeing DVDs or videogames wouldn't be an issue if the couple are homebody types who stay in and watch a lot of movies or plays videogames. That might just be me.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Yeah, those do seem weird.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards