Florida-Central Florida

Catering vent- Need insight

After going around and around with my budget and getting scared that my parents won't be able to follow through with the money they said they'd give us, I decided to explore less traditional food options. I thought about dessert only, but wasn't able to get much concrete info, more of just a "we can discuss prices". Then, I saw that some of the caterers offer BBQ menus for WAY less and this is more FI and I's style anyway. I emailed Puff 'n Stuff, Levan's and River City about their BBQ menus. Most start at about $12-14, so I was super stoked. Granted, I know it will be more with linens and real plates, etc. Anyway, I got kind of excited about Levan's because they will bring a smoker and cook onsite and their menus were $12pp and $13pp. Duane emailed me a quote that included linens, china, and servers of $26pp. WTF?? It costs MORE than the food for linens and servers? And, I got a full menu quote from them that included 4 hor d'ouevres for $29pp. River City's menus that included linens and china were $22-26pp. Needless to say, we're still going to set up tastings with all of them. Anyone have an idea of standard break downs for this stuff (I think John Michael's charges $3pp for upgraded linen/china)? How much can I really bargain? Can I say "Other Catering Company is offering us all of this for $XX, can you match it?" Should I just chill out til we've met with everyone? I'm just so frustrated. 

Re: Catering vent- Need insight

• edited December 2011
    I think my friend is upgrading her linens for like either 12 or 15 per linen. BBQ sounds good though so i hope you find something you like. I am doing buffet chicken parm with salad and a side for $19.50 pp not including the alcohol setup fee. It was cheaper cuz i didnt have 2 entrees and other what nots. So it is def doable. GL girlie!
  • edited December 2011
    I said to Puff n Stuff, "I really need to spend X per person can we make that work?" and she got back to me and made it work and it is exactly what I want. So I would wait til you have a tasting and see what price they offer and then tell them your budget and see if it can work. I was quoted $10 more pp than I wanted to spend and she just lowered the price- no food really changed (It is a plated meal and just one choice got removed, which I was totally fine with).
    Just wait and then ask what they can do for you
  • edited December 2011
    I was shocked when I started getting catering proposals that included the linens, china, servers, tax. The food and drink price per person was right where I wanted it, but the total was nearly double my budget.

I went with Puff N Stuff and they were able to work with me on the linens cost and we substituted 1 chef attended station for a pre-set salad. Between those two changes, they cut almost $1100 off the quote.

I wouldnt say "so and so offered me this price" I would try "We need to cut $___ how can we do that? The linen prices seem a little high- can we do anything to cut those costs?"  I'm a big fan of problem solving by explaining the problem and asking for (or offering) a solution. 
    Planning Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited
    image 97 Celebrating in Person
    image 57 Celebrating in Spirit
    image 0 In Postal Limbo
    RSVP Date: October 26
  • edited December 2011
    Levans will really, I mean REALLY work within your budget. Just tell them what you need to spend. I would recommend that first. He asked me what I wanted to spend... I told him... & he did it, plus threw in extras for that price. Can't hurt to try... the worst they can say is "We can't go that low, but we can do X for you". Good luck!!!
  • Maggie214624Maggie214624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally, I would recommend doing all the appointments and seeing which one you prefer in terms of service and professionalism.  We were between two venues that provides food on-site and the one we preferred, we told them what the other was able to provide and could they match it.  It worked for us and I think if they think you are doing your research (i.e. comparing prices), they might be more motivated to work with you. 

Of course, letting them know your budget is a good first step, but if the one you prefer is not providing all the services you want for a comparable price to the others, I would definitely pull the "company x can provide this for this price" and see if they will meet what you want.

• jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with what everyone said.  Instead of saying "this company will do it for this price" I would say something more like "I really love your food, professionalism, etc.  My only issue is I am on a very tight budget and I am only able to spend x amount.  Some of the other companies are able to do it, but I would really prefer working with you.  Is there anything we can do to match that price?"  That way you are making it totally clear to whoever your favorite ends up being that they are you first choice.  I think it sounds a little less like "playing games" than "well they can do it for this price" does.  Just make it clear, you want them, you just aren't sure if you can afford them.

Or maybe you'll get really lucky and love the least expensive the most!!  That would be awesome!!!  =)
  • edited December 2011
    The website smartyhadaparty.com is supposed to be really good. I don't know if they have china though. GL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Tuexdo Catering. They advertise buffet prices starting at like $17 I think, so she'll probably work with you. I thought there food was really good too. They'll do there best to meet competitor pricing too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
    Alot of vendors right now are in need of business and are willing to work with you. I've worked with 3 diff ones here in VOlusia county and I told them this is what the budget was..i'd really like to use you..what can you do..I was able to get off $9 per plate at one location!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards