Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Dallas County Marriage License Questions?

Hey guys! I have done plenty of research on getting the marriage license and have read everything on here: http://www.dallascounty.org/countyclerk/marriage-license.php

But I wanted someone's real account of how this goes. I am coming in from out of town and was planning on going to the office on Thursday, since my wedding is Sunday and you need to have 72 hours in between. 

The way I understand it, my fiance and I will go in, pay the fees, sign some papers and leave. Then Sunday, our officiant signs the license. My main question is, who brings it back to the office? Or can we mail it in? Also how long does it take from when you return the license (I see we have 30 days to return) until it is official, and do they mail it to me? 

I know that's a lot to ask but hoping someone can provide some insight! 

Thanks!!
Carolyn

Re: Dallas County Marriage License Questions?

• Our officiant took care of filing ours with the county and we had it back in the mail before we got back from our honeymoon.  You can also send it in yourself.
  • Our officiant also took care of it for us. We received it at home a few weeks later.
  • cbattcbatt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Wonderful! Exactly what I wanted to hear :)
  • In addition, our church gave us a copy of the signed license and said to keep it as proof that we were on our honeymoon because sometimes places give discounts for stuff?
    Anniversary

• Make sure you have the exact amount in cash for the license. They do not make change....at least the location we went to.
  • edited May 2013
    Your marriage license is $71 or if you took a certified premarital class like we did you get your license for $11! Gotta bring your pre marriage class certificate as proof. Yes, you need cash for your license and your drivers license. The office closes at 4:30 sharp so get there early as lines can be super long. Once you get your license, they hand it to you (it's actually a pretty certificate) along with a self addressed envelope. After your ceremony, the officiant signs it and sends it in. The state mails it back to you later.
  • Where did you go to take the class?
    Bladxs2 said:
    Your marriage license is $71 or if you took a certified premarital class like we did you get your license for $11! Gotta bring your pre marriage class certificate as proof. Yes, you need cash for your license and your drivers license. The office closes at 4:30 sharp so get there early as lines can be super long. Once you get your license, they hand it to you (it's actually a pretty certificate) along with a self addressed envelope. After your ceremony, the officiant signs it and sends it in. The state mails it back to you later.

• @imjustshell, check out twogetherintexas.com for classes in your area.  If you are a member of a church that offers premarital counseling, that can count as well.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards