Registry and Gift Forum

When to register?

Please help. I feel it is way too in advance to create a registry. My FMIL said we should create on before the end of the summer. I was thinking of creating one a month or two prior to my bridal shower. When did you guys start to make registries? Why is she pushing me to create one already, I still have plenty of time before the wedding. She can be frustrating at times but I know she means well. 

Re: When to register?

• Thanks meo4356. I will check out website.
  • Thanks retreadbride
  • We just registered.  FI and I hadn't planned on registering until the Fall, but everyone was asking where we were registered, so we started a bit earlier.  A few things have already been purchased.  A few items have already been discontinued and we found them and bought them ourselves because they were things that we really wanted.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We registered about 7 months out. You could register now but I personally would not. Too many things can become discontinued in the next year or so and that would be more work than necessary IMO. 

• We registered about 7-8 months in advance. Reason we did it that early is that we also bought a house. We figured this way if anyone wanted to get us a housewarming gift we could refer them to our wedding registery for ideas of what we needed. We figured the only people that might do that would be immediate family or best friends who would be invited to the wedding anyways so no harm in telling them about the registry.
  • I registered 7 months in advance, because lots of places said that was when you were "supposed to."  We didn't get any gifts until about a week or two ago (after we sent out our invitations.)

Flash forward to today... the tablewear pattern we registered for was just discontinued, and items are starting to go out of stock online!  Fortunately the store has been GREAT, they are checking with all of their stores all across the country and shipping us a few pieces from this store, and a few pieces from that store, to make sure we get what we wanted.  But if we had registered a little bit later, this situation would have been less likely to happen.

• Thank you ladies. 
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    OP, it depends on what you are registering for.  You might compromise with your FMIL by picking a china or crystal pattern (or even an everyday if it's a line like Fiesta).  Most of those don't get rotated seasonally.  My china pattern has been out since 2001.  The Waterford Lismore pattern has been out since like the 50's.  Those aren't going anywhere.

Kitchen gadgets and appliances also tend to be available for a few years before rotating them out.  But they are always "replaced" with something identical, just swankier.  We registered 13 months out and only had 1 kitchen gadget be discontinued.  We just replaced it with the newer version by that brand.  Super easy.

The things that get rotated a lot are bedding and towels - that's because a lot of places only sell seasonal colors, plus a few basics.  That said, places like Macys and Pottery Barn do have standard stock that is there year-round, so those are safe also.

If you aren't sure if something is seasonal or not, just look and see how old the reviews are.  Anything more than a year old means the item is not seasonal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Oh and another way to tell is by how many serving pieces come with a particular dinnerware pattern.  Lines like Fiesta, Mikasa Antique White, Lenox Opal Innocence Carved, etc. have everything from pizza platters to canisters that match.  A manufacturer isn't going to make that many obscure serving pieces if they intend to discontinue it within the next 4-5 years.  Now if your dinnerware has place settings, serving bowls, and maybe 1 platter?  Then yes, I would wait and see if it gets discontinued before registering for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LoredLored member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    I just started a registry this week. My wedding is in December. I think we could have waited but my mother keeps asking. I figured just "start" my registry to appease her. Closer to my date, I will add to it and update. It's so easy to do online that it makes it not such a big deal to at least begin one with some basics you might want.
  • hoffse said:
    OP, it depends on what you are registering for.  You might compromise with your FMIL by picking a china or crystal pattern (or even an everyday if it's a line like Fiesta).  Most of those don't get rotated seasonally.  My china pattern has been out since 2001.  The Waterford Lismore pattern has been out since like the 50's.  Those aren't going anywhere.

Kitchen gadgets and appliances also tend to be available for a few years before rotating them out.  But they are always "replaced" with something identical, just swankier.  We registered 13 months out and only had 1 kitchen gadget be discontinued.  We just replaced it with the newer version by that brand.  Super easy.

The things that get rotated a lot are bedding and towels - that's because a lot of places only sell seasonal colors, plus a few basics.  That said, places like Macys and Pottery Barn do have standard stock that is there year-round, so those are safe also.

If you aren't sure if something is seasonal or not, just look and see how old the reviews are.  Anything more than a year old means the item is not seasonal.
    Thanks ladies. The crystal I received so far as gifts are the Lismore pattern by Waterford. I think I might just start a very small registry of just china. Hopefully, that will appease my FMIL. Thanks again!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards