Plus-Sized

Which silhouette??

I'm shopping for gowns, and two (nearly polar opposites) dress silhouettes really catch my eye... I love the sweetheart sheath with seams down the middle to help flatten the tummy, but I also love the ballgowns. But I'm wondering, do ballgowns make a plus-size even MORE plus sized? I don't want to look like a giant tulle monster, the goal is to look slimmer... but I've heard that with a natural waist, it can be good or bad. I've attached photos of what I'm thinking. Please give me your opinions - I'm a size 16 apple shape! Thanks!

Re: Which silhouette??

• elio23elio23 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I was a 14 and apple shape when I got married.  I thought something puffy would be more flattering but it ended up being the opposite.  I ended up going with an Alfred Angelo dress similar to your first picture (style 2034) and I loved it.  I would strongly recommend a corset back!
    imageimage
  • I am a size 18 and I went with a fit and flare. The ball gown just made me look so big.
  • Every ball gown I tried on made me look like the stay puff marshmallow man.  It was horrid.   however, I have a plus size friend that is getting married in July, and she has a huge ball gown and it looks fabulous. I think it just depends on your body style, and where you carry the weight.

Try some on, and see how you feel. You won't really know how any of those styles will look on you until you have them on your body.

• I was an 18 pear shaped at the time of my wedding and I went with something that was slightly more fitted...but you really won't know till you try stuff on. I recommend trying a couple of different styles on the first time you go to try on dresses and you will know pretty immediately what jives with your shape and what doesn't :)
  • I also recommend trying a dress on. I thought ball gown would be great too but I looked bigger. Also, I found that I need a drop waist because a regular A-line cut me and wrong spot and made me look bigger. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The fit-and-flare might show your stomach more, even with the seams, but you should definitely try it on to be sure. Ballgowns tend to look good on someone who needs a defined waist and wants to build up their hips a bit, so that might work for you. I would also try an A-line, as it will give you an hourglass shape without being huge in the hips. An A-line is a great compromise for someone who wants the romance and shape of a ballgown without the poofy skirt. :)
  • I went into my bridal appointment thinking that only an A-line dress would look good on me. After trying on dresses that weren't flattering to my shape, I asked my consultant to bring in some dresses that were more fitted through the hips.  To my surprise, I ended up with a fit and flare gown.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Dresses are always tricky. I also believe that the right silhouette depends on how tall you are, and how long your torso is. If you aren't committed to one silhouette just yet, maybe you could explain the general look that you are going for to your consultant, and she could bring dresses that either fit that vision or that they believe will flatter your shape. Good luck! 
  • Here's my two cents: when I went into my appointment, I had absolutely no clue what I wanted. She looked at my body and suggested I try a dress that I did not like in the bag. It was a trumpet style w rouching and a sweetheart neckline. I feel beautiful and my belly looks flat (this is huge for me lol). Def try diff styles but also listen to the consultant. Generally speaking, they know what looks good on our bodies (mine is a size 20 btw). HTH!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards