Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Too many ideas and an uncooperative groom...

My FH has made it quite clear that he doesn't care about the wedding planning. We have agreed to let him have control of entertainment, his groomsmen and ushers and help decide on food. He doesn't care about colors, who are the bridesmaids, what kind of flowers, or even a theme. It's his wedding too!

He cares because I do, but he doesn't really care.

I need help with colors though.

We always say "To the moon and back" and I was kind of wanting to do something along those lines (silver and black maybe?) but it's  an afternoon wedding. Should we have dark colors like that in the afternoon?

I was also thinking maybe medium purple flowers to accent?

I told him but he's not interested.

I would like to do something with either sage or some shade of gray.

Ideas, please!

Also, my best friend from high school is a guy, I want him to stand with me. Do you see "bridesmen" in weddings often?  He said yes, but I don't really know how well the guests will take it. :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Too many ideas and an uncooperative groom...

• Options
    My best friend is a guy and he was my Man of Honor.  If guests had a problem with it, I didn't hear about it. 

I think rather than silver and black you could go with grey and navy and really accomplish the theme during an afternoon ceremony.   The guys could wear grey suits with a navy striped tie.  The girls could wear navy dresses and silver heels.   The flowers would probably look best in white. 

You could get more celestial with the centerpieces and decor of the reception space. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_too-many-ideas-and-an-uncooperative-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:8741303c-607b-41e9-92fe-3d2a49a00955Post:d99149ed-ec55-4ffa-aa76-c5964a8a30a9">Re: Too many ideas and an uncooperative groom...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best friend is a guy and he was my Man of Honor.  If guests had a problem with it, I didn't hear about it.  I think rather than silver and black you could go with grey and navy and really accomplish the theme during an afternoon ceremony.   The guys could wear grey suits with a navy striped tie.  The girls could wear navy dresses and silver heels.   The flowers would probably look best in white.  You could get more celestial with the centerpieces and decor of the reception space. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

Thanks! This is a great idea.

I had briefly thought about navy before, but because my parents and brother's weddings had the colors blue and white, I wanted to break the chain.  But thier's were more of a sky blue than a dark blue. I will consider Navy and gray more :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    What NOLA said.

And P.S. - Weddings don't require a "theme".
  • Options
    pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    Don't worry about using similar colors to your family - there are only so many color combinations, and they aren't patented.  You can pick and choose what works for you.

Example - a friend of the family got married a while ago and her colors were pink and green.  My dad is a pastor, and he did a few other pink and green weddings that same summer.  It happens!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_too-many-ideas-and-an-uncooperative-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:8741303c-607b-41e9-92fe-3d2a49a00955Post:2e17c79d-b1a0-4ea7-a655-43270fffd2a0">Re: Too many ideas and an uncooperative groom...</a>:
    [QUOTE]What NOLA said. And P.S. - Weddings don't require a "theme".
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]
    Thank you!

I understand that weddings don't need a theme. We had thought of other color combos but none of them are really catching us. Thank you though, it does help to know that a them isn't essential.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_too-many-ideas-and-an-uncooperative-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:8741303c-607b-41e9-92fe-3d2a49a00955Post:d3460135-009c-4995-be31-9b0a47d89e2e">Too many ideas and an uncooperative groom...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FH has made it quite clear that he doesn't care about the wedding planning. We have agreed to let him have control of entertainment, his groomsmen and ushers and help decide on food. He doesn't care about colors, who are the bridesmaids, what kind of flowers, or even a theme. It's his wedding too! He cares because I do, but he doesn't really care. I need help with colors though. We always say "To the moon and back" and I was kind of wanting to do something along those lines (silver and black maybe?) but it's  an afternoon wedding. Should we have dark colors like that in the afternoon? I was also thinking maybe medium purple flowers to accent? I told him but he's not interested. I would like to do something with either sage or some shade of gray. Ideas, please! Also, my best friend from high school is a guy, I want him to stand with me. Do you see "bridesmen" in weddings often?  He said yes, but I don't really know how well the guests will take it. :(

Who cares what the guests think. I am using black, red, and silver. They are kinda dark. Do what your heart says. IT IS YOUR WEDDING. Don't let anyone else tell you what to do about your wedding.
    Posted by aluaevolver[/QUOTE]

• Options
    I don't think using dark colors in an afternoon wedding is a problem, and black is always elegant.

On the other hand, Navy with gray/silver sounds really pretty!
  • Options
    If your FI doesn't care what you do as far as the planning goes, take it and run with it!! When mine told me what he wanted to be involved in and what I had free reign on I asked if I could get that in writing. Seriously.

I really should have too, because a year later, when I was buying things because it's getting close now he made a comment about something. I glared at him and reminded him of what our agreement was.

Also, you have to remember that most men have not been planning their weddings since they were 5 and didn't grow up staging weddings for their Barbies or with their friends. They may have been forced into being the husband or the ring bearer in those weddings, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't because they wanted to. Cut him some slack and let him do the things he wants to do. You'll be thankful for this later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards