Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What foods are you serving for you reception?

I was just wondering what deliciouness everyone decided on.

What are you serving? Indoor or outdoor? Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter?

Oh and seated or buffet?

Re: What foods are you serving for you reception?

• We had Mexican food.  Pork Chile Verde, Chicken Mole, rice, beans, tortillas, a spinach quesadilla for the vegetarians. We also had ceviche and tacitos for cocktail hour, along with mixed veggie trays and cheese & crackers. 

We had an outdoor wedding, but the food was served indoors in the fall. But, for the bay area, September is still summer.

• Yummmmm! Was it buffet style or seated?
  • It was buffet.  We had cocktail "hour" for about 45 minutes, and then we served dinner buffet style.  I know plated is a lot more formal and "classier", but I actually like buffets better.  At every plated reception I've ever been to, the food is served lukewarm. I can't stand that.
  • Yea, I know what you mean about the temperature. Food can make or break a wedding!
  • Our Wedding isn't until September so I'm sure a few things will be changed but we are serving skewers (chicken, salmon, and veggie). My budget wouldn't allow me to serve an actual sit down/buffet style meal so we figured skewers would be affordable. (I'm a chef at a restaurant so our produce guy is going to give me a really good deal on food... gotta love those connections.)  I'm also do some cheese trays garnished with strawberries and grapes.

I've been trying to think of things for the candy/dessert table. does anyone think its inappropriate to ask family or family friends (the ones that have asked if they could do anything to help) if they would bring homemade cookies, pies, cakes, etc.?

• Well being from the Baltimore area we of course had to have mini crab cakes during cocktail hour.  Honestly I would have been happy with just a huge plate of them for my dinner LOL!  We also had these yummy chicken quesadilla cornucopias and bite size open face roast beef sandwhiches, plus veggie and dips and cheese and crackers.

For dinner we did stations (guess a more fancy version of a buffet).  We had a pasta station, a turkey dinner station and a beef tenderloin station.  We also had a salad station.  The meat stations had options of potatoes and roasted veggies.

• We're having a buffet!  I can't wait!

Our entree choices are apple-walnut stuffed chicken topped with a cider reduction, roast top round of beef with gorgonzola sauce, and lemon butter cod.  We're having potatoes au gratin, maple glazed baby carrots, caesar salad and a southwest tortilla salad for the extras.  I'm so excited to eat all this yummy food!

• We are getting married at a restaurant, so we are really looking forward to the food. We will have calamari and either bruschetta or polenta for appetizers. Entrees will be parmasean crusted chicken, shrimp and grits, and a vegetarian mediterranean pasta. There will also be veggies for sides. Dessert will be wedding cake and groom's cake. We are also having a candy bar instead of favors. Everything will be served buffet style. We will be in a tent in the evening in the summer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jtownsend3414 I am asked certain members of my family and friends, who are known for their delicious desserts if they wouldn't mind making a few and 2 women actually cried. They were so happy I had thought to include them in my wedding. 1 bridesmaid turned me down because she was moving and wouldn't have a big enough kitchen and I totally understood and she was also flattered I asked. Some people find it tacky but if you're close with these people sometimes the want to be included but you don't know how to do it.
  • edited June 2013

krispi921, wittykitty14, leighbie87, Maggie0829 

Ladies I shouldn't have read your posts! Now I'm starving! 

Crab cakes are my fave!

I love the idea of a taco Bar BTW!

I love polenta too, but bruschetta is also a good choice! 

Witty, I'm hoping you have a cancellation so I can come!!!

• BecauseYouAre 

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!

I am in jealous mode right now!

How many people are you hosting?

I'm hiding your post from Eric. He will want this menu :-)

• BecauseYouAre Wow! That is an amazing menu! I so wish we had the money to do even half of that menu! Your guests are sure to be wowed!
  • Thanks, we're going simple and DIY with everything else so we can splurge on the food and band. We know lots of people in catering and are doing lots of leg work ourselves, not actual prep but purchasing and rentals so we got some great prices. Our guest list is 220 (invited).
  • edited June 2013

We had a station style reception. These were our options that didn't require a chef-attendant:

Domestic and international cheeses with assorted crackers and bread.  Veggie platters.

Spinach and Artichoke Dip with toast points and crackers. 

Chicken and Andouille Gumbo Served Over Rice

Mixed green salad with apple, walnuts, blue cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Three-cheese tortellini. 

And then these stations had a chef to make the items to order: 

Penne pasta and tasso Alfredo sauce sauteed with chicken and andouille sausage. Could be customized w/o chicken or andouille. 

Scallops sauteed and served with a lime buerre blanc sauce on a bed of braised spinach and arugula.

Mediterranean Station: Orzo Pasta Sauteed with choice of kalamata olives, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes and other veggies.  Served with tabouleh, baba ganouj, hummus, and pita bread. 

And then these were the traditional carving stations: 

Beef Tenderloin and Roasted Turkey Breast carved on site.  Served with choice of spicy mayonnaise, horseradish cream sauce, creole mustard, tarragon cream sauce, and assorted cocktail rolls.  

And desserts: 

White cake w/ vanilla mousse and strawberry filling

Chocolate cake with mocha hazelnut crunch filling

Strawberries, grapes, honeydew, cantaloupe, pineapple, kiwi, orange, and mango fruits served with bittersweet chocolate dip. 

• We had a lunch buffet with smoked salmon, rice pilaf, green beans almondine, chicken cordon bleu, and bread rolls. For the cocktail hour, we had stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cilantro, and Swedish meatballs. I am thinking we had one more, but I can't remember what it was. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We had a casual backyard reception with fresh buns (baked by my grandma), cheese, ham, potato salad, and bean salad. For dessert, we had various homemade cookies and bars, and a chocolate wedding cake that my mom made.

We had a second, more formal celebration in the city where H and I live, and that was held at a vegan Asian restaurant. It was a buffet with two appetizers, seven entrees, and rice. For dessert, there was fruit, mini cupcakes, and delicious cheesecake! All vegan!
  • Our wedding is going to be June 2014 in a indoor pavilion at a rural winery in Minnesota.  We are planning on a having a couple kinds of Chex Mix during the cocktail hour.  Then for our buffet dinner we are serving ham with cheesy hashbrowns, glazed carrots, mixed greens salad, fresh fruit, and rolls with butter.  We're having five smaller cakes, chocolate, vanilla, carrot, red velvet, and cheesecake.

• My venue is a museum. The cermony and cocktail hour will be outside in the plaza by the fountain. My buffet style reception will be in the great hall inside. My wedding is in May so it'll be warm, but not super hot yet. My guest get a great treat because they will be able to walk around the museum and view the exhibits (we aren't telling them that part). So we've adjusted the timeline to make the cocktail hour 2 hours long instead of 1. That way the WP can do the after the ceremony shoot, but still have time for drinks, lite apps, and to change their shoes...lol.

My meal is really simple and kid friendly...things most people cook on Sundays.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken
    Sliced Roast Beef w/Onion Brown Gravy
    Portobello Mushroom Ravioli in Brown Butter

Thick Mac & Cheese
    Roasted Red Potatoes

Slowed cooked Greenbeans
    Roasted Aparagus

and a 2 person 2 Tier Red Velvet Wedding Cake
    w/an accompaniment of cupcakes in 4 different flavors
    cup pops for the little people guest.
  • Our whole event takes place at a Santa Fe style, high end rustic restaurant that specializes in game meats.  It's November 2 in the foothills outside of Denver and we're playing it safe at this point and counting on being completely indoors, but if the weather is warm enough we'll do the ceremony outside on the cliffs and can use the courtyard for cocktail hour.

Guests will be greeted when the arrive for the ceremony with a hot spiced apple cider with Tuaca. (non alc available too)

Cocktaill hour (and a half) includes an appetizer buffet with buffalo, wild boar with apricot and cranberry, and spicy jackalope sausages, chips with salsa & guacamole, cheese & fruit.  There will also be hand passed duck quesadillas & elk meatballs.  Also a premium open bar plus prickly pear margaritas.

Dinner starts with a mixed green salad with damiana vinaigrette dressing, jicama, pickled ginger, and pumpkin seeds.   The main course is being served family style with roasted potatoes and  zucchini corn succotash for the sides. There are three meat selections, pork tenderloin with pepita green mole, green chili glazed and grilled salmon, and teriyaki quail.  The breads are a whole wheat sunflower roll & pumpkin walnut muffins.

Dessert is bourbon & dark chocolate mousse with fresh cream, served in edible, chocolate tulip cups & a traditional vanilla bean cake.
  • Cocktail Hour: Seared Ahi Tostadas with avocado crema, Mini Black Bean Empenadas, Pulled Pork BBQ Slider with Fennel Slaw, Curried Chicken Wonton Cups

Starter: Mixed Organic Greens with Shaved Jack Cheese, Candied Walnuts and Sherry Vinegrette

Main: Roasted Filet with Spinach and bacon OR Butter Poached Halibut with Potatoes OR Wild Mushroom Ravioli with a Cream Sauce and Arugula

Wedding Cake (Banana cake with peanut butter frosting and covered in chocolate ganache or carmalized pear cake with cinnamon spiced frosting and walnuts)

Late Night Snack: Taco bar with chicken adobo and carne asada

We chose our venue for the food! It's a culinary school :)

Our favors are french macaroons (vanilla and raspberry) from Bouchon Bakery in Napa! SO delish!

• Buffet

Thanksgiving dinner! (I'm Canadian, so our thanksgiving is the weekend after we get married :)). Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, salmon, cold salads, stirfry for the vegetarians (they can also get stuff from the buffet). Then different pies for dessert.

Late night snack is poutine.

• We got married in our in-laws' backyard. Both the ceremony and the reception were outside. 

We had a pig roast BBQ buffet: pulled pork with two sauces, rolls, baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, roasted veggies, black bean and corn salad. 

Then we had a dessert table with salted caramel brownies, mini carrot cupcakes, and blackberry lime wedding cake, all of which I made. 

We didn't do a cocktail hour.
  • were getting married in May 2014 on the water with cocktail hour outside & reception inside

cocktail hour:

tuna tartar on wonton crisps with sesame soy glaze, assorted veggie quiches, lobster risotto cakes, mini beef wellington, thai chicken skewers, cheese & fruit display, vegetable crudité, and raw bar with shrimp, clams, oysters, and lobster tails

1st course:

mixed greens with red grapes, candied walnuts, goat cheese and champagne vinegrette

2nd course:

truffled mushroom ravioli

3rd course:

Choice of filet mignon with red wine reduction or chillean sea bass with a lemon parsley butter both come with red bliss potatoes and wood grilled asparagus

dessert:

wedding cake choice of lemon cake with raspberry filling or chocolate cake with chocolate ganach & a candy bar

sooo excited :)

• Ours is a morning wedding (10/13/2013) and it will be a brunch buffet (with an omelette station and mimosas).  Both my FH and I love brunch so it's perfect for us.  Otherwise it's the typical brunch fare.  There will be snacks for the cocktail hour (along with unlimited mimosas for guests).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 2:30 pm reception. The buffet will consist of cheese with crackers, fruit, veggies, chicken fingers, shrimp cocktail. We will have coffee, lemon aid, and water to drink. For dessert there will be yellow brides cake and red velvet grooms cake.
  • Sit down meal but we haven't finalized choices yet.  We go on our tasting in a few weeks...so excited! 
  • We are having a Mardi Gras wedding, so we are doing jambalaya and a few other cajun selections.
  • Nice! I like the Mardi Gras theme!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards