Snarky Brides
Options

What to do with those little registry cards stores give you

When we registered, FI and I were given those registry cards, 'to put in your invitations,' the bridal consultant said.

FI, blesshisheart, thought that's what we WERE going to do with them. Oh no no no. My mama raised me up better than that.

But I have found they are SUPER useful for other things:
- as bookmarks
- as to-do reminders ('call florist,' 'call venue,' etc.)
- for marking plants in my garden
- as backing in photo frames when the mat is too thick for the photo
- as scrap paper for practising origami flowers
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: What to do with those little registry cards stores give you

• Options
    AddieL73 said:
    I wish people would just hand them back to the store clerk. Maybe if enough people did that, they would stop pushing them. 
    I agree.
    Seconded.
  • Options
    Ok, I am not the most knowledgeable of this. So they aren't supposed to go into the invitation? Thank goodness I haven't sent them out yet then. But for the not so savvy computer people, how do they know where you are registered?

Please don't hate on me for this ignorance;)
  • Options
    Ok, I am not the most knowledgeable of this. So they aren't supposed to go into the invitation? Thank goodness I haven't sent them out yet then. But for the not so savvy computer people, how do they know where you are registered?

Please don't hate on me for this ignorance;)
    Yay! I'm glad you read this first. 

Nope, it's considered a faux pas to include any registry information whatsoever in your invitations. It gives the impression of being gift-grabby, or expecting that your guests bring you a gift. 

If you have a website, it's fine to include your registry info there in a subtle spot (aka not glaring on the front page). 

Otherwise, word of mouth works wonders. The older traditional folk should know to ask you, or a member of your family, where you are registered.
  • Options
    PHEW! So glad I looked on this thread. I honestly didn't even think of it as rude. I did only put it in some guest invites that I thought wouldn't go on our wedding website. I'll remove them tonight!

• Options
    PHEW! So glad I looked on this thread. I honestly didn't even think of it as rude. I did only put it in some guest invites that I thought wouldn't go on our wedding website. I'll remove them tonight!

this girl here! shes smart! we like you
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ditto @snippet17. I tried to refuse them at BB&B and he accepted them, then they MAILED US a second set of cards. 

Also, glad my post helped someone!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    I wish people would just hand them back to the store clerk. Maybe if enough people did that, they would stop pushing them. 
    I told the people at Bed Bath & Beyond repeatedly that we didn't want them.  They snuck them in our bag anyway.  When I noticed this, I walked back into store, dropped them on the floor just inside the front door and left.  I'm a bitch, but I'm betting the next person who said they didn't want them didn't find any in her bag.  
    That is awesome. I like to think I would have done the same!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Eh, she gave them to us and I took them.  (At BB&B).  She said "oh, here's some inserts for your invitations!"  and handed them over.  I said "Oh, those will be SO great for the shower invitations!  My MOH will be SO happy to have these!" 

I over-exaggerated, but she didn't say anything else about them.  My MOH was happy to have them, because it was less for her to deal with.  I have no idea what she's done with the numerous extras.  She's an artist, she'll figure out some use for 'em...

• Options
    I didn't get any little cards. I had a horrible time doing my registry in person at Home Outfitters that I left before even completing what I wanted done. Plus nobody really wanted to help me that day (I had booked an appointment and then the girl that took the appointment wasn't even working that day).
    So I completed my registry at BB&B online. I also moved, so if they did send any cards prior to me changing my address on my account, then I didn't receive them.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Options
    Our BB&B snuck them into our bag too. The idea was SO foreign to me (mama raised me to be horrified by registry inserts) that I didn't instantly know what they were when I took them out. I was like 'wtf is this fo....OH HELL NO!"
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    You could turn them into confetti that can be thrown at the couple at the wedding if the venue allows it.
  • Options
    We told the lady at BBB that we were NOT interested in having them. She "highly recommended" we took them and put them in the invitations. I told her that my Mom would literally kill me if I ever did such a thing. The lady said it was "a new thing" and put the cards down with all of our stuff. I handed them back to her and told her we really weren't interested. 

I could not believe she was trying to convince us it was a good idea! 
  • Options

To all the PPs--we JUST registered at BB&B on Monday and I had NO IDEA until coming to the message boards on Thursday morning that using them was a no-no. I gladly accepted them and thought "how useful!" Definitely NOT using them.

• Options
    Oh thank the Lord I read this because I didn't know either. I didn't even know you got little cards because I haven't registered yet. But I can really see myself just going along with whatever the store told me to do due to my ignorance on the subject.

So, you don't put them in the invitations for the shower either, correct?
  • Options

We went with Amazon, so no cards.

Still getting emails from BBB offering to "help" us register and send free registry cards...

If I do receive any, I'll probably use them for kindling and marshmallow roasting.

• Options
    Just another comment, not only are they kind of rude to include in invitation, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money on invitations, everything inside there is going to freaking MATCH and look classy.
    Those inserts look terrible.
    I had an overall bad experience at BB&B so this was just one minor thing.
    Target gave us some as well, but they were tiny and it looks like they were meant for showers, not the wedding itself.
    Target also gave us a handful of "Thank you" cards, which I thought was nice. They don't match our style but it's a much nicer thought than including registry cards.
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    This is exactly what we did. 
  • Options
    I felt like such a tree-killer at BB&B. Without even telling us she was going to do it, she printed like 500 (even though we told her our wedding would be around 100 guests), then came back with them telling us that she accidentally printed the wrong ones the first time! So thanks to her 1000 stupid inserts that will never get sent to our guests were printed and 500 of them are still just sitting on our desk. I hate tossing them and wasting even MORE paper, but I have no use for them. I'm just going to have to get over it and throw them in the recycle bin.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I've actually never seen the little registry cards, but whenever I hear people talk about them, I imagine the name cards people put in their high school graduation invitations....  Anyone else?

But it's a good thing that I've never seen them.  :D

• Options
    Why can't you put them In Bridal shower invites?
  • Options
    @GypsyWife_ - you can, and (of course) that's the only place they should be. I don't know, I've seen the places the bride and groom are registered printed directly on the shower invite, but I haven't seen the little insert cards. Could be a difference in social circles.
  • Options
    BBB tried to give them to us, and I said no.  The man took it well and took them back, but it was harder at Macy's.  The woman said the cards might be helpful at some point, but I stressed that we weren't interested.  Then she explained some type of card (a Dream card?) where people could put money on it.  Um, no thanks!  If they want to buy a gift card, great.  But I'm not asking them to put money on a card that I carry around and get notified via text when someone deposits money on it.  Just seemed tacky to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's acceptable to mention registries in shower invites, but it should be printed on the invitation.  Don't use the business card inserts.

• Options
    I didn't even think they were supposed to go into invitations for showers? 

I design invitations for friends, and what they do with them after printed isn't up to me...
  • Options
    "Just another comment, not only are they kind of rude to include in invitation, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money on invitations, everything inside there is going to freaking MATCH and look classy.
    Those inserts look terrible. "

THIS! I'm a graphic designer and doing my own invites and I don't want my invites looking like some bill cluttered with Sh--ty designed ads. And when I finally get to registering, I'll simply tell these "helpful" sales people, I'm registered at other places and I don't want my invites looking cluttered with Advertisements, I'm keeping them nice and neat on my WEDDING WEBSITE, where they belong!
  • Options
    My plan is to throw them in the recycle bin, as I was raised that it's rude to include those cards with wedding invitations. That's what I did when I had my first wedding, and this time, it won't be any different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards