Catholic Weddings

The garter

Ambybambi1125Ambybambi1125 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited June 2013 in Catholic Weddings
Did you do a garter toss? If you didn't, did you still wear a garter? I'm almost certain I don't want to do a toss, but not sure if I still will want to wear a garter. Any thoughts/advice on this?

Re: The garter

• Nope, and nope.

No offense to anyone who did it, but I kind of thought nobody has done this since the 80s.
    Anniversary
  • Nope. I didn't want to wear one and I never liked the idea of my husband fishing around up there in front of Grandma.
  • banana468 said:
    Nope. I didn't want to wear one and I never liked the idea of my husband fishing around up there in front of Grandma.
    This.  I never really thought about it, but the whole tradition is kind of gross, and it makes me uncomfortable to watch some guy crawl up his wife's dress...

I KIND OF wanted to wear a garter, just to have some pictures, but we never planned to do the toss.
    Anniversary

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Didn't do the toss, but I wore a garter.
  • Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    We did the tosses. I got a garter made in our college alma mater fabric. I know a lot of people don't like the tosses but they are still fairly common in my circle. We were also one of the first of our friends to get married so lots of single friends who didn't feel uncomfortable participating.  I just sat on a chair and H got the garter with his hands and didn't do anything crazy and it was just above my knee so his head wasn't all up in my skirt either. We just had the person who caught it pose for a picture. Nothing gross or forced with the woman who caught the bouquet.

For what it is worth I found the garter kind of uncomfortable and I probably would not have worn one if we weren't planning on doing the toss. We do have pictures of the garter and me putting it on while getting ready but honestly I don't love them and I wouldn't have been too upset if I didn't have them.
  • We didn't do either - I definitely didn't want to do the toss, and I contemplated wearing a garter just for my H to see or for some cute pictures, but in the end I scrapped that plan as an unneccessary detail that I didn't want to try and fit in to my planning.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Didn't do the toss. I wore two garters. One I handmade in my favorite colors with charms that have meaning. One generic one that was my something blue.
  • I never liked the idea of a garter toss, then I saw my first one, where the groom took it off with his teeth. I was completely horrified and FI and I had a nice discussion with my mom and stepdad about how long it would take to get the guns out if FI did that to me. I would never want something like that to be done to me in public, and especially not in front of my family. And especially not in front of my stepdad, who doesn't let FI even hold my hand in "his domain."

I will be wearing a garter, though. No pictures, no toss, nothing. Just my something blue that FI gets to take off later. Since I crochet and had all of the supplies laying around the house (except elastic), I just made one up in an evening right after I got engaged.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore one, but we didn't do the toss. I was too uncomfortable with it.  And we didn't do the boquest toss either.  We asked everyone how long they had been married and gave the boquet to the couple that had been married the longest. :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Didn't do a toss. Didn't wear a garter. I've seen it done more tastefully, but still, it wasn't my thing. We didn't do a bouquet toss either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't do it either.  H really wanted to but I put my foot down but then he didn't think it was fair to do a bouquet toss so we didn't do either.  
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    Please don't do it. It sexualizes the bride and the guest who has to wear it. My fiance caught it... and he had to put it on me in front of his own family and the bride's family who were total strangers to me. We had no idea that this was apart of the "tradition" and I was HORRIFIED to have a bunch of strangers watch me and photograph it being done. It was not the kind of attention I wanted and I was humiliated.
  • We're not doing either. There won't be a lot of single people there, so I don't want them to feel uncomfortable. I REFUSE to have FI crawling up my dress in front of my father. REFUSE. I'm not wearing a garter, either.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • JBee85 said:
    Please don't do it. It sexualizes the bride and the guest who has to wear it. My fiance caught it... and he had to put it on me in front of his own family and the bride's family who were total strangers to me. We had no idea that this was apart of the "tradition" and I was HORRIFIED to have a bunch of strangers watch me and photograph it being done. It was not the kind of attention I wanted and I was humiliated.
    Okay, THAT is almost worse than making the person who catches the bouquet and the person who catches the garter do something ridiculous.
    Anniversary

• I wore 2 garters. One was my something blue and the other one was for keeps. We did the toss but kept it clean and fun.
  • I think it depends on your circles of who you hang out with/family/etc.  We did it but also did it at like 10:00 so the grandparents were loooong gone.
  • I haven't seen this done since sometime in the 1980s.  Sorry
  • I'd say if you're going to do this, you may want to look up the tradition and why its done. TRASHY
  • I'm very aware of the history of it.  Pretty sure the history of it doesn't make me trashy if I do it.
  • Thanks for all the input!
  • We aren't doing one... I kind of think it's tacky
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope and nope!  I didn't do a bouquet toss either... but that was primarily because I was cheap and didn't want to waste any money on an extra bouquet!
  • No toss here either, but my garter is my something new.
  • We didn't do it either.  Or the bouquet toss.  No one missed them.

I thought about wearing a really pretty garter just for H to be able to take off, but I decided it just wasn't worth the money for something that isn't very important and is only worn once.

SaveSave
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

At the only garter toss I've ever seen, the guy who got it had just recently been left by his fiancé a month before, which was sad...but did he really have to shove a SEVEN YEAR OLD out of the way to catch it?? Whatever you choose to do, just make sure there are no guests you anticipate being that desperate :P

• I don't plan on doing one either.  Besides most of my friends are married I think would be one or two people at our wedding  that are actually single at this point.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards