Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Not the Butterfly Kisses Type

Starting to think about what song my dad and I will dance to at the reception is already giving me a headache.  I love Loudon Wainwright's "Daughter," as it pretty much sums up my life with Daddy, but he thinks it's not "danceable." 

Help?  I adore my father, but we have never had a butterfly kisses relationship.  I need a song that's not cheesy or even too terribly sentimental, but still conveys that I actually do love and respect the man who raised me. 
The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along. -The Essential Rumi
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not the Butterfly Kisses Type

• I'm in the same boat.  I grew up with music being pretty important to us and we listened to a lot together but everything is too fast. After a few hours of looking at it, I was onto Bonnie Rait who he loves, I was listening to 'Nick of time' and I was thinking "This could work"

Then I was listening to the lyrics... "I see my folks, they're getting old, I watch their bodies change..." holy moly no.

Trying to find like an Alice Cooper or CCR or Joe Walsh song...not really happening. I might make this his task.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• come to papa by bob segar
    May 2013 October Siggy - The Honeymoon Walt Disney & Daytona Beach imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Perhaps you could do a song that's not about parent-child relationships?  I had a hard time finding one that fit and was danceable, so instead my dad and I are dancing to a song that my he used to sing to me when I was little.  I think it's technically a love song of sorts, but it doesn't have to be taken that way.  Point is, I chose it because of it's sentimental value.  I know you said you don't have a "butterfly kisses" relationship with your dad (me either, he'd gag if I mentioned that song!), but if you two have some special songs, they might be worth considering :)

• I let my dad pick the song and he is so excited about it.  If you do not have anything you absolutely want to dance too, I would suggest him picking it, or send him a few options to choose from.  Few I  recommended to him (but will be fine if he doesn't choose them):

Little Girl-Tim McGraw
    The Way You Look Tonight- the version from Father of the Bride
    My Girl- the Temptations
    Then They Do- Trace Adkins

My only restriction was no "butterfly kisses" or "I loved her first."

Anniversary
  • We're doing "Dancin' on Daddy's Shoes" (Leon Redbone) because we actually did all play music together - but it's an adorable, danceable song even if you didn't!

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    This is funny, I came in here to ask if this song was a good first dance song and this is the first thread I see. My dad and I did have a butterfly kisses relationship though. He's been crying at the "walk me down the aisle daddy" line since I was eleven.
  • @krieli1 I had the same trouble picking a song... I've never been much of a 'daddy's little girl'.  I love my dad dearly, but the cheesy father-daughter songs just didn't do it for me.  Plus I LOVE dancing with my dad, so picking a song that we could actually dance to was important.  I decided on Wildflowers, by Tom Petty, but When You Need Me, by Bruce Springsteen was a close second.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I found this site to be a helpful starting point:

My dad and I recently settled on "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon. I also really liked "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart or "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor, but he didn't go for those. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards