Wisconsin

Question for married brides who've already done the name change

So I was doing some research on changing names - and it looks like it's a crazy process. Did you really have to go to a hearing for it? How long did it take from when you petitioned to get the hearing?

I looked at Milwaukee County specifically, but I am assuming it's the same in most counties.

I was going to try to change my name before we travel for our honeymoon, but now I am thinking I might just wait! (wedding in October, travelling in February)
image 209 Invited
image 151 Yes
image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

Re: Question for married brides who've already done the name change

• Okay - I read a little further and it makes more sense now.

The marriage certificate will count as legal proof of a name change, so I only need that to go to the social security office, DMV, passport, etc. - correct?

So we do not need to petition the court to change our name when it is for a marriage?
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Yes, you only need the marriage certificate!
  • Yes, the marriage certificate is your legal proof of name change; no hearing is required.  I changed my name at the social security office first.  Later that day, I changed my name at the DMV, my bank, my credit cards, my employer, and a few other places I'm probably forgetting. The rest, I just changed over the course of a couple weeks online.
  • You just need your marriage certificate.  Your best bet is to go to Social Security first, then the DMV.  After that, you can change things as they happen or come up.  Nearly a year later I still have items in both names including my passport in my old name.  I just need to book flights in that name when using my passport - I didn't want to pay for a new passport when I have 5 years left on it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards