Chit Chat
Options

Advice/s

What makes the word "advice" so frequently misspelled? I think I've seen it 3 or 4 times today from different people. Is it just one of those words?

I always have issues with "definitely" I spell it the way I don't want to and I'm right.  I blame it on a song I like when the singer says Defin A t ly.

image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: Advice/s

• Options
    Advise/advice are two words that I always make sure I teach my students because people so frequently mix them up.  People spelling "definitely" wrong is a big pet peeve of mine as well.  And your/you're is one that I see used incorrectly often.
  • Options
    Oh I hadn't even considered that people were mixing the words two up, I was thinking they just didn't know how to spell the one. Good point.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

My boss mixes up "assistants" and "assistance" all the time and some other close-spelling words too.

As in, "please call one of my assistance, they will be able to direct you" or "If you need immediate assistants, please contact extention 23456"

• Options
    I have seen Outlook and Word tell me that I had spelled it wrong (when I knew I had the right one).

• Options

Here's some more that people mix up a lot (that I hate)

their/they're/there

affect/effect

sense/cents/scents.  ALthough with this one, I mostly see a lot of people misspell "sense"

There's more, but I've forgotten them.   FI has texted me the word "exhausted" a few times, and he always spells it "exhasted", and it drives me crazy.  I don't know if it's a texting thing or a he doesn't know how to spell the word thing.

I'm such an awful person.  I'm the first to admit that I'm super judgy when it comes to obvious and very basic grammar/spelling mistakes.  I always keep it to myself, but I really can't stand that people these days don't know how to write their native language.

• Options
    I look up affect/effect before I use commit them to writing. Sometimes I use a different word to avoid it if i can't look it up that moment.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    presents/presence is one I see a lot
    than/then

Animal Field pet peeves:
    People saying spaded (it's spayed, and you can only spay females)
    Saying 'giatric' when referring to their geriatric pet.
    Anniversary
  • Options

When I misspell or use the wrong word, it's usually because I'm typing too fast and my brain and fingers can't keep up with each other.

I try to proofread before I hit send/post, but not always successful.

Lately I find myself having trouble with write/right.  I know the correct on to use, but I always seem to type "right" rather than "write".

• Options
    edited June 2013
    My grammar and spelling are far from perfect, but I grit my teeth when I see someone write 'Me and her....' Instead of 'She and I' or 'We'. Example: "Me and her are going to look at bm dresses." 

• Options
    I think the problem with advice/advise is that phonetically, they look like they could sound alike. Think of license (which the Brits spell licence) -- the 's' and the 'c' make the same sound in that word. I think that's the same problem for advice/advise. 

The rest of the mistakes are, I think, problems with the educational system in this country. 

Other ones that get me are:
    balled/bawled (crumpled into a ball; cried a lot)
    role/roll (part in a production/what you do to paper)

There are more; I'll add them as I think of them.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I admit, I always have to double check my uses of affect and effect.
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013

Isle and aisle. One is an island and the other is what you walk down to get married.

Confession- I am college educated and I always mispell "definitely". I usually just spell it wrong and use spell check to change it. I just can't spell that word, no matter how hard I try.

• Options
    zobird said:
    I'm an English teacher, and these are two words that I need to stop and think about to make sure I am using them correctly.  I know which is which, but I do need to pause and consider it.

Affect - verb She was affected by the war.

Effect - noun The war had an effect on her.
  • Options
    libby2483 said:

zobird said:

I'm an English teacher, and these are two words that I need to stop and think about to make sure I am using them correctly.  I know which is which, but I do need to pause and consider it.

Affect - verb She was affected by the war.

Effect - noun The war had an effect on her.

Whoever came up with those words clearly needed to put some more thought into it. I always think of "cause and effect" and it helps.
  • Options
    Also, I hate when people use the word "costed" incorrectly.  As in, "The shirt costed five dollars." I don't know if it is just the area where I live, but I hear people say this constantly.
  • Options
    MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited June 2013

@libby2483 - I'm not trying to be nitpicky - but you say when people use it incorrectly.  I'm not sure it's a correct word to begin with and when it would be used correctly.

ETA:  Nevermind.  It is the past tense/past participle of cost.  It sounds really weird though.  The example the dictionary gave is "The accounts costed out our expenses."

Sorry. My bad.

• Options
    Thank you for that lesson Libby. I'll just try to think of affect as a verb. If I can remember that I'll be good.
    image   imageimage

• Options

@libby2483 - I'm not trying to be nitpicky - but you say when people use it incorrectly.  I'm not sure it's a correct word to begin with and when it would be used correctly.

It actually is a word when you use it to mean estimate or determine the cost of something.  For example, "The construction manager costed the materials for the project."  However, it is used so rarely in a case like this, that when people say "costed", they are almost always using it incorrectly.
  • Options
    @libby2483 - Yup, I looked up and edited my original post.  My apologies.

• Options
    Most word mistakes only bug me when written.  Then and than especially, but one that hasn't been mentioned is accept v except.

I don't care when it comes to spoken language, because the meaning is clear even if something has an affect on someone, or someone wants a pacific item. And I really don't get hating colloquial phrases like "fixin' to." Sure, it may be confusing to people who are from somewhere else, but I can't see being bothered by it when you understand just fine.

My coworker has been a total snot to our cleaning lady about this on multiple occasions. Most recently, CL said she had already "tooken out" the 4th floors trash. CW says "Tooken" tooken isn't a word. the correct word is taken." Then CW pulled up an online dictionary to show her.  A similar show happens weekly, at least, so maybe I'm extra twitchy about avoiding that kind of thing.

One thing that does bug me is calling all soda/cola/pop/carbonated beverages Coke. Coke is a specific brand and flavor. If you ask me if we have any coke, don't get indignant when I offer you pepsi  or dr. pepper instead. I'm a pepsi gal, and I wouldn't admit to having drugs even if I did, so no, I don't keep coke in the house.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @bunni727 I see what you did there. I was actually starting to get annoyed until it hit me.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    I spent a weekend with my FFIL and his wife and she was complaining about her Korean SIL and having trouble understanding her. It's hard to take someone seriously when they are complaining about a foreigner saying she (the SIL) "Don't speak good English".

She also uses a lot of double negatives - "She don't do nothing all day",
    the word, "Thems" like... "Thems over there look like good hot dogs"
    and "ain't"  "We ain't got the time to drive"
    image   imageimage

• Options
    The funny thing is, according to dialect maps, I live in an area that uses coke almost exclusively, but had never met anyone who said it until after I left for college.

I usually avoid it completely by asking for a specific brand, but my parents say pop and my H says soda.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I used to nag my baby cousin for misspelling words on Facebook because... well... you have the whole internet at your disposal. If you aren't sure how to spell a word, look it up!

My trick for spelling "definitely" is to over-enunciate it. Def-in-it-ly (then add the 'e') - most people want to throw an 'a' in there and it simply doesn't fit.

I knew a girl who didn't know the difference between "definitely" and "defiantly" on FB, so I always laughed when she was like "OMG the trailer for That Movie was so hilarious, I am defiantly going to go see it!" I'm like "Who is trying to stop you?!"
  • Options
    MuppetFan said:
    I spent a weekend with my FFIL and his wife and she was complaining about her Korean SIL and having trouble understanding her. It's hard to take someone seriously when they are complaining about a foreigner saying she (the SIL) "Don't speak good English".

She also uses a lot of double negatives - "She don't do nothing all day",
    the word, "Thems" like... "Thems over there look like good hot dogs"
    and "ain't"  "We ain't got the time to drive"
    Right... Korean SIL is probably speaking perfect English, thus the misunderstanding. :) Also, try speaking another language conversationally - it's not easy. I had taken 8 years of Spanish before I moved to Spain. I got there and it was all:
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I found the best way to spell definitely is to just think definite, add the ly.

• Options
    I have to giggle. I'm on a conference call. The president of the company just tripped op on Matrix and Metrix and Finite and Infinite. I giggled.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    I once made up the word "submersed" during a college English course. Like a love child of "immerse" and "submerge". My then-bf made fun of me when we got out of class - we were in class together - and I got way too embarrassed about it. Something of a malapropism. I inherited it from my dad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards