October 2014 Weddings

Checks all over the place!

Hadn't really thought about it, but boy did FI and I go check happy (literally!). Photographer is booked - she's wonderful, someone I knew in high school (vaguely), who went into photography, is amazing, and down to earth relaxed! Couldn't be happier! DJ will be booked this week. He DJ'ed my sister and uncle's weddings, and is a family friend. Gets the whole place out in the dance floor, can't remember other weddings that were as fun as the ones he's worked! Ceremony - a priest who I work with (Catholic school teacher problems!) is going to marry us, probably one of the funniest and sweetest men I know! The church is Gothic style as well, so GORGEOUS! We've had the venue since the first month, brand new construction, first wedding was a month ago. We have an open house on Monday to try food and see other vendors. I found my dress pretty quickly too, I'm not ordering it until October though. Summer projects seem endless though. I'm starting to make my brooch bouquet with my mother. Invitations are already looking like a pain. For whatever reason they just don't excite me, all look the same, and are SUPER EXPENSIVE! We need to start thinking about transportation and flowers for everyone else. Early in the planning process when we were looking at venues, one woman said you sure you don't want to get married this October, we laughed thinking it wouldn't be enough time. Thinking about it now, a lot of our "big ticket" items are out if the way or will be by summers end. Ill have time for all the small details! Sorry for the long and rambling post, I was excited when I realized all of this!
October 2014 Brides - July Siggy Challenge: Cakes

Re: Checks all over the place!

• I agree with you about invitations! I've been searching four or five websites, but nothing grabs me! Is it just me or do invitations have just the worst images on them?  I came across two that had bagels on them.  I mean, if you want bagels, cool... but... WHAT?!  I'm thinking I may have to design my own.

Congrats on all of the checks!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Thats awesome! I have been seriously slacking. I am probably going to start looking at florists in the area this summer and I'm hoping to go dress shopping around August. I am so indecisive I know it will take me some time to find a dress. Right now its a lot of 'pinning' and bookmarking. 

I feel the same way you do about invitations. We are on a relatively tight budget (oh and we live in the #2 most expensive area to get married) so I can't justify spending an arm and a leg, and possibly my first born child for something that will probably end up in the garbage anyway. I love the look of engraved or letterpressed invites, but they're just too darn expensive. I have been looking at VistaPrint and they have some nice options but they're just flat print. 

I honestly think I am going to just make my own. I made our monogram and am very happy with how it turned out. I think I might make our own whether its on regular cardstock and completely DIY or if I find a nice kit at Michaels or AC Moore. 
  • edited June 2013
    Invites have been driving me nuts as well- I decided to give up the ghost and design my own- and I'm pretty happy with what the FI and I have been coming up with.

Also quick tip for those that want a non-flat printed look for a non-hefty price, try DIY embossing powder, I saw it on ohsobeautiful paper blog and its super easy! Here is the link :)

http://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/2012/11/diy-tutorial-gold-embossed-save-the-dates/
  • @foreverofcourse , THANKS!!!! What a great way to jazz up invitations!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • jennyp37jennyp37 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    BAGELS??? Oh goodness, I suppose if it's brunch reception! 

FI and I are thinking the same thing, we want simple and clean, and might just DIY and print somewhere cheaply that is more cost effective (*edited). We both have design backgrounds and might be able to get away with it. *fingers crossed* 

Thanks for the link @foreverofcourse I'll have to check that out!
  • Jean0715Jean0715 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    foreverofcourse gave us and I fell in love with one of their monogram stamps. I use to emboss crafts all the time when I was younger and have an idea of how to do it. 

So, I bought the stamp! This is my first wedding purchase (besides venue, photographer, DJ) 

I am just so excited that I had to share! (It will have the initials JPB)

• That's gorgeous! I love it. Now I need to get my tail moving and get one :)
  • Yay I'm so excited about all these DIY ideas! I feel like it gives so much more meaning to my FI and I and hopefully to our loved ones.
    @Jean0715- I'm in love with that monogram stamp!
    Good luck with you're stamping endeavors! I will be stamping and embossing right along with ya :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards