Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

has any one

Spend $1700.00 on 64 gorgeous designer customized invites, including everything from Addressing RSVP cards and outside envelopes with guests names and addresses, stamping them, etc. and how did you feel about them? Any regrets? 

Re: has any one

• Options
  • Options
    Nope.  Seems pretty steep for only 64 invites.
  • Options
    Nope. Invitations go right in the trash as soon as the wedding is over for 90% of your guests. And no one will really care what your wedding invitations look like. 

I'd rather spend money on an open bar or a dress. 
  • Options
    Nope. I made mine myself: that counts as custom designed, right?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper

For $1,700 they better be bedazzled and delivered in person by some fancy schmany person.

That's nuts to spend that much.

• Options
    I love stationary, but I think that is way too much to spend on so few invitations.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Holy baby Jeebus, no effing way. You want to spend $1,700 for 64 invites -- which works out to $26.5 per invite. My entire RECEPTION is costing less, per person, than that. And, FWIW, I designed our invites myself, including addressing all the cards IN CALLIGRAPHY. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I sort of agree with the "if it fits your budget" posts. But you really have to think of your guests. I'd be pissed if I got a $27 invite to your wedding, but then only got a small plate of spaghetti and red sauce and limited bar options, you know?

Even if I had an unlimited budget, however, I personally don't think I could spend so much on something people inevitably throw away and barely remember. People do remember a dress, decor, food, and alcohol. So that's what I'd rather spend my money on. 
  • Options
    It is included in my budget. I am not breaking the bank for them... open bar all night, seated plated dinner, the whole nine...Im sure my guest will be very well fed and thirst quenched.  And YES they actually have rhinestones on them.And I have to disagree not everyone throws away their invite as soon as they get it. I know plenty of ppl including myself that saves them, especially when its someone close to you. 

thank you for the ladies that support it =)
  • Options
    They do have rhinestones so that counts as "bedazzled" right? 
  • Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It is included in my budget. I am not breaking the bank for them... open bar all night, seated plated dinner, the whole nine...Im sure my guest will be very well fed and thirst quenched.  And YES they actually have rhinestones on them.And I have to disagree not everyone throws away their invite as soon as they get it. I know plenty of ppl including myself that saves them, especially when its someone close to you. 

thank you for the ladies that support it =)

You don't want to thank ALL the ladies that took time to answer your question?

• Options
    Not a flipping chance.  It wouldn't matter if I could afford it or not.  I wouldn't spend $26 for an invitation on principle.  I also would never spend $5,000 for a pair of shoes.  It doesn't matter if I can afford it or not.  I just can't throw money around that excessively.  

Plenty of people are perfectly fine blowing money like that.  If you have the money, you can spend it how you like.  But there's no way in hell I would.  
  • Options
    No way.  If you have the money and desire, go for it.  But even if my wedding budget had been triple what it was, there is no way I would have spent that much on invitations.
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I've never saved an invitation past an event date...  The only one I plan on doing that for is my own.  I think that's fairly typical.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Not all of you ladies. I appreciate the its up to me replies=) 
  • Options
    CMGr said:
    "Money comes and goes."

Yes, but it is nice when you can hang on to some of it to save for future needs - like a college education for your child?
    I have a two year old and he has his own account since he was 6 months. We are very wise with money, Saved for two years and now are able to splurge on this one day. My fiance and I are hard working and we like to enjoy the money we make. We do put our child first. Please do not pass judgement. 
  • Options
    Spend $1700.00 on 64 gorgeous designer customized invites, including everything from Addressing RSVP cards and outside envelopes with guests names and addresses, stamping them, etc. 
    I wouldn't spend that.  But there are many brides that wouldn't have spent what I spent on other things.  It's all relative to your personal finances. 
  • Options
    LOL. Thanks ladies. Good thing its not your money nor your decision. Just wanted some advice, but obviously there are bridezillas here. Good thing I have thick skin! Now, let me tend to my two year old and fiance, and you ladies can go ahead and rip eachother apart. Some of your posts are beyond horrid, or at least your answers. I have decided to have my dream wedding along with my fiance and whatever we want is going to happen. The average wedding now is about $27,000. So, that number alone is crazy. but its happening. I only plan to get married once. Money comes and goes. Have a nice day =)

So you ask if people would spend a lot of money on invitations, hear a bunch of nos, and get upset that people would not choose to spend as much as you want to spend? Why did you ask what others would do, and what were you expecting to hear, a bunch of people expressing jealousy that even if they scrimped and saved for a decade they could not afford such expensive invitations?

Jealousy? Really? No. I was a little taken back of the "Fuck No" "Hell No" kinda stuff. Just seems there was really no reason to curse over that, but then again maybe that's just in some ppls vocabulary. I UNDERSTAND brides will NOT splurge on certain things, so for you to say I wanted brides to be jealous is absurd. I work with people for a living and try to help by hearing them out. I guess maybe I should have worded my question differently.."Has anyone spent that type of money on invites and how did you feel after it was all said and done" would have probably been the right question . I honestly just wanted to know how important invites are to other brides. 

So, no I did not want to hear that anyone is jealous because they can't afford them. Jealous is such an ugly trait. 

If you are looking for an arguement look elsewhere. Have a good night.

• Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    Spend $1700.00 on 64 gorgeous designer customized invites, including everything from Addressing RSVP cards and outside envelopes with guests names and addresses, stamping them, etc. 
    I wouldn't spend that.  But there are many brides that wouldn't have spent what I spent on other things.  It's all relative to your personal finances. 
    Agreed. I watched a wedding show where the brides mom paid to rip out the carpet and have new carpet put in the venue! Gorgeous wedding, but wow!!! I think all brides def do have their must haves =)
  • Options
    snippet17 said:
    In my opinion that is a bit much for invites. I rather spend my money else where.

OP - you did ask people's opinions on if they would spend that much. Most people were not snarky towards you until you started to be snarky towards them.
    I maybe did come off a little snarky, but the whole "fuck no" "hell no" kinda made me think otherwise. It wasn't my intentions. It was just a question. I probably worded it wrong. I really wanted to know if anyone has done it and if they had any regrets afterwards... 

But yes all of us brides have different ways of splurging. The beauty of planning a wedding =)
  • Options
    CMGr said:
    No one is passing judgement on you.  You DID ASK!!!

You are right. I did. Have a good night!
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I, personally, would not.

But one of my friends spent this (and more) on hers.  Her invitations were GORGEOUS.  I think she had them custom made by a local artist (the design) and then paid someone else to do the caligraphy on the inner/outer envelopes, etc...so it was pricey.

I'd love to see your invites!
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I, personally, would not.

But one of my friends spent this (and more) on hers.  Her invitations were GORGEOUS.  I think she had them custom made by a local artist (the design) and then paid someone else to do the caligraphy on the inner/outer envelopes, etc...so it was pricey.

I'd love to see your invites!
    I can imagine! Hers sound gorgeous!! I would love to share when they arrive which will be around beginning July! =)
  • Options

LOL. Thanks ladies. Good thing its not your money nor your decision. Just wanted some advice, but obviously there are bridezillas here. Good thing I have thick skin! Now, let me tend to my two year old and fiance, and you ladies can go ahead and rip eachother apart. Some of your posts are beyond horrid, or at least your answers. I have decided to have my dream wedding along with my fiance and whatever we want is going to happen. The average wedding now is about $27,000. So, that number alone is crazy. but its happening. I only plan to get married once. Money comes and goes. Have a nice day =)

So you ask if people would spend a lot of money on invitations, hear a bunch of nos, and get upset that people would not choose to spend as much as you want to spend? Why did you ask what others would do, and what were you expecting to hear, a bunch of people expressing jealousy that even if they scrimped and saved for a decade they could not afford such expensive invitations?

Good thing this was quoted. No one was rude to you, but it seems like a huge amount of money to spend on stationary. If I remember right, paper should be like 2% or less of your budget, so if you are having a $85k wedding, sure it seems appropriate. It sure isn't for a $27k wedding. Also that is an average which is higher. The median is more like $17k.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards