Chit Chat

"Problem" with my dress less than two weeks out--too big in the boobs and gapping out

I tried on my dress this past weekend because I found a new pair of shoes that I wanted to make sure were the correct height. When I put it on, it was SO big in the boob area and gaping at the sides. I do not have a big chest--I barely fill an A cup. But when I had picked out the dress and put it on so my FMIL and her friend could see where they needed to alter it, this was not a problem. The dress almost fit like a glove except for the length, so all they had to do was hem it. I have been trying to watch what I eat lately, but I haven't lost more than 5 lbs but it has seem to come from my non-existent chest (curse you stupid body) and now it is gapping at the top and I'm dangerously close to flashing people. Thankfully it's not going fall down cause it still fits my waist fairly well (a little looser than it was, but that's a good thing because it was borderline too tight before). What are some last minute things I can do about this? My sister has told me to get dress tape--will it work even though my dress is a little heavy? It has a lot of beading and detail and I'm worried the tape won't be strong enough to hold it because of how heavy it is, although I haven't used it before so can anyone offer insight on this? I am planning on buying a strapless padded pushup bra, but am worried that my dress will just end up showing the bra because of the gapping on the sides.

What would you do? I'm stressing out a little about this!

PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: "Problem" with my dress less than two weeks out--too big in the boobs and gapping out

• Is there time to get it taken in or get cups added? You can also try a padded, strapless bra.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hmm, I might have to see if my mom is comfortable enough to sew some cups in the dress, that's a good idea. Otherwise I am trying a padded bra for sure. Thanks! :)

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Padded strapless bra. VS Pink has some crazy padded ones. 
  • I'm a fan of the Victoria's Secret Bombshell. It adds two whole cups. Or just eat a lot of junk food and gain the 5 pounds back? I'm petite, and when my weight fluctuates downward, I also lose my boobs.
  • hordolhordol member
    Thanks everyone. I'll go to VS and get the bombshell and try that first with the dress tape. I'm hesitant to get it taken in because it was my FMIL and her friend that did my alterations and I don't want to put them out this close to the wedding, not to mention they live 100 miles from where my dress is and it seems like a lot of hassle. Going to a tailor is not in the budget (the dress was only $299 so I refuse to spend just as much in alterations). However, my mom is skilled in sewing so maybe she would feel comfortable enough to try taking it in? I'll have to talk to her about it.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • hordolhordol member
    I'm sure you have already thought of this, but just in case; when buying a strapless bra, make sure where on the bra you plan on securing the tape, there is no lace, etc. Fashion tape does not secure well to lace/chiffon, at least in my experience. Of course, if you plan on securing the dress to your skin above the bra, that won't be an issue. Also, my fav body tape (and I've tried many, as I'm constantly using it to close the gap on button down shirts, an keeping necklines from becoming a peep show) is Braza Body/Clothing fashion tape. You get a whole roll, instead of just a couple strips, for around $7.00
    Thanks! I will keep all of that in mind. Where do you buy the Braza brand?

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I really don't think adding a padded bra or cups is going to work.  The dress will still sit away from your chest.  With the padding and such you are just filling in the empty space, not really fixing the problem.

Two weeks is plenty of time to get some more alterations done.  I would take the dress to your seamstress and let her see the problem.  Most likely the bust will have to be taken in to fix the issue.

• I really don't think adding a padded bra or cups is going to work.  The dress will still sit away from your chest.  With the padding and such you are just filling in the empty space, not really fixing the problem.

Two weeks is plenty of time to get some more alterations done.  I would take the dress to your seamstress and let her see the problem.  Most likely the bust will have to be taken in to fix the issue.

I agree with Maggie completely here. Usually the dress wont sit right without proper alterations. And I just worry with a padded bra you're going to be pulling on the top of the dress all day. 

A good seamstress should be able to get it done for you. 
  • I once wore a wedding dress for a bridal show that was too big in the chest area. We padded the crap out of that thing. It didn't look right. I'd suggest trying to get it altered versus padding it.
  • I agree with everyone in terms of taking your dress to get altered. You do have enough time. If it is any consolation, though, I'm actually in the same boat somewhat so I understand the stress factor. I went to pick up my dress from my alterations place at the end of the last week (My wedding is in two weeks), tried it on one last time, and realized that the lace in the back of the dress was pulled waaay too tight. I knew that they had enough time to fix it, but I'll admit I was a little stressed by the experience too. There's too much to do before the wedding to make and keep yet another alterations appointment. Lol

I agree with this.  Also if your mom isn't an excellent seamstress don't ask her to fix this.  It's more complicated than you think and you don't want to end up without a dress because she messed it up.  Pay a seamstress to do it.  You have enough time.
    Exactly what they ^^^ said.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ZeroOrchestraZeroOrchestra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    I would take it to a seamstress, there is more than enough time. Once you are in that dress more than an hour, you'll be surprised how much it stretches out. If its a little loose already, I'd have it taken in.
  • I had the gaping because my boobs are big, and the dress was sort of just resting on my boobs, rather than pulling back against my chest.   I had the seamstress add a plastic snap to the inside of my dress along the bust and on my longline bra. It pulled the dress back against my chest in the middle between my boobs (so I didn't have a uniboob) and against my chest near my underarms. So, it was three snaps, and it made a HUGE difference.

• hordolhordol member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I called a seamstress and she quoted me about $100, so I decided I would try the tape/bra suggestions first. I went out and bought the bombshell at VS and the braza dress tape at davids bridal and tried it on with the dress. The bombshell fixed it immediately, I don't even need the tape although I will hang onto it for good measure and probably put some down just to be sure. :) I feel much better now!

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Yay! I seriously love the bombshell.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards