Catholic Weddings

Monetary Gifts

Hi all!

I'd ask this question on the etiquette board but I really don't want to deal with their snark right now. Does anyone know if it is good/bad form to cash monetary gifts before the wedding? 

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Monetary Gifts

• I think you're supposed to deposit them, but "technically" you should actually "have" the money in case it needs to be returned. (as in, don't use them to pay for the money and have nothing left in your account!)
    Anniversary
  • Ah, ok. I was torn because my parents have been spreading the word that we prefer cash gifts for our 'honeymoon fund' (although the honeymoon is already paid for), so if the gifts are for that then of course they would need to be cashed before the wedding. But then again, I also feel awkward depositing them immediately after they are received...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lots of people prefer that you cash checks sooner rather than later so that they don't have outstanding checks on their accounts, can manage their finances, etc. I agree that as long as you don't "spend" it so that you could repay it if something were to happen, you're fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just be sure to send a thank you card right away, and as others said don't actually spend the money until after the wedding.
  • (oops. I meant "dont use them to pay for the wedding")
    Anniversary
  • Lots of people prefer that you cash checks sooner rather than later so that they don't have outstanding checks on their accounts, can manage their finances, etc. I agree that as long as you don't "spend" it so that you could repay it if something were to happen, you're fine.
    Agree with this.  It drives me crazy when a check doesn't clear soon after I write it.
    Anniversary

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

The only issue we had before the wedding was when guests wrote out the checks to "Mr and Mrs Newlastname".

We did have a joint account already set up, so the bank was able to work some magic so we could deposit them (though it took forever).

• itzMS said:

The only issue we had before the wedding was when guests wrote out the checks to "Mr and Mrs Newlastname".

We did have a joint account already set up, so the bank was able to work some magic so we could deposit them (though it took forever).

Really?  We had nooo problem with this.  We thought it would be an issue, but I don't think the banks took a second look.  I didn't get around to even changing my name on my bank account until the summer after we were married!
    Anniversary

• Any checks that were made out to Erin AND Husband LastName had to be signed by my husband, then by me (with ID as well), then they let us deposit them into H's abank account.  It wasn't too big of a deal, but definitely made me vow that if I ever give checks for a wedding gift, I will make it out to only one of the couple.

As to the original question, I agree that it's fine (and probably what the gift-giver would prefer) to cash the check right away, as long as you don't technically spend it until after the wedding.  We only got a few pre-wedding checks from family members, we cashed them right  away and just put it in savings.  We did send TY notes on those right away.

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    itzMS said:

Really?  We had nooo problem with this.  We thought it would be an issue, but I don't think the banks took a second look.  I didn't get around to even changing my name on my bank account until the summer after we were married!

I think the issue was that we stupidly came in with all of the checks at once.

They were written out in no less than six different fashions.

Mr and Mrs Newlastname

Mr and Mrs Sue and Bob Newlastname

Mr and Mrs Bob Newlastname

Bob and Sue Newlastname

Sue Maidenname and Bob Newlastname

Mr OR Mrs Newlastname

Needless to say, it raised a few eyebrows.

• I agree with PPs.

Deposit/cash any checks as soon as you can, so that people can plan their finances accordingly.  Then send a thank you note, and use the money after the wedding.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards