Getting in Shape

Training Plan Suggestions

Hello, I'm about to start building a plan for training for the marathon in November (can't believe we are 19 weeks out already).  Has anyone used any plans they like that incorporate speedwork and interval training?  In the past I've used the runnersworld.com Smart Coach plan and one the NY Road Runners provide, but would welcome any new suggestions.  

Also, any suggestions for speedwork?  For recent races I've done 800s and then work my way to mile repeats.  My goal is to get faster and I know speedwork should happen in the first half of training.  Right now my PR is 4:37 (10:35 pace) and I'd love, love my stretch goal to be under 4:30.  It's lofty but I think I have a shot.  

TIA!  

Re: Training Plan Suggestions

• GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    UPDATE - so I just purchased the Runner's World training plan to run a 4:15-4:30 race.  I took the assessment and, according to them, I am lazy and not running fast enough.  

The plan is online and looks very detailed.  I'm going to take a look and will report back if it's really good.  
  • Sorry we didn't have anything to help you! I've never done a training plan :)
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    awww thanks guys!  I love this board and love hearing about what works for other people... I learn so much from all of the posts and appreciate everyone's help.  
  • I'm no pro at this by any means, but I have started training for my first half marathon and my sister gave me a training plan.  She's done 8 marathons, an ironman and countless triathlons.  

Anyway, she has me running 3 days a week, 2 shorter runs and 1 longer one on Saturdays.  Each week the Tuesday run is not a normal run, it's either faster than your race pace or all uphill (alternating each week).  She also has me doing strength training 3 days a week.

What marathon are you doing in November?  My half is in November also!
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    @ktbabe - thanks!  The plan I got is very similar to what your sister suggested.  I am going to take a good look at it tonight.  

I'm doing the NYC Marathon on November 3rd.  I was supposed to run it last year but it was canceled because of Hurricane Sandy.  So I ran the Richmond, VA marathon instead.  

What half are you doing?  Are you excited?  How great to have your sister as your coach!  When do you plan to do strength training?  I need to incorporate some into my week too and was trying to figure out how.  Maybe run in the morning and strength at night?  Or vice versa?  Not sure yet.  
  • Half is in Vegas on November 17th, it's on the strip at night!  It's the only place she could get me to do it - haha!

I'm having a hard time figuring out the strength training and having rest days.  Schedule is running T/Th/Sa and strength training W/F/Su, but I feel like I might need 2 days of rest when I get into the 10-13 mile run weeks.

I like the idea of running in the AM and strength at night...I am so bad about going to the gym after work though!  

We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • I know you mentioned speed work and your plan sounds great! I follow the Hal Higdon plans for my long races - I've used them for halts and fulls. To be honest I never really do speed work (bc I'm lazy in that sense). Yet I've seen my half time continue to drop just from logging miles and getting in better shape. Good luck we'll definitely be rooting for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    edited June 2013
    @mrsrutlowski... Thanks! A few people have said that their times have improved by logging more miles. In the past I've run the long runs consistently but haven't run a ton during the week (usually just 3-5 3x). This time I'd like to do more so we will see. That's why I'm up now about to run 5! :-)
  • You'll have to keep us updated on how this plan goes! I just pulled out a pretty basic marathon training plan. I have no intention of running a full marathon, but for sure a half at some point. 
  • Awesome! I am excited to hear about your progress and how the plan works!

I think in terms of my running and training was adding in more strength training. I often became "lazy" about lifting (or doing at home body weight strength workouts like Bodyrock or Insanity), but it really helps give me that extra boost. I find that I am not as sore after long/hard/hilly runs anymore. 

Marrying my high school sweetheart - October 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards