October 2013 Weddings

Grooms Parents name on the invitation?

So while where all talking about etiquette... I have my real dad(who is paying for just about everything, My mom and stepdad(who is like my real dad also) who is paying for some and my mom is helping planing and going with me to all the appointments. So I was originally going to just put there names on the invitation because I know that traditionally brides parents name go. But I'm just scared his parents will feel offended not to have there names. And if I do work there name in, my fiance has his dad,stepmom and real mom who are also very important to him. So we have 6 parents all together. Thanks
This is what I Have so far took out last names and the address:
Together with
    George, 
wally and Mary
     Salina 
         &
    Micheal
To a celebration of love, laughter, and family as best friends become husband and wife
saturday, the 5th of october
5:30 p.m
reception and happily ever after to follow
So I can kiss you anytime I want.

Re: Grooms Parents name on the invitation?

• You could do your names 'together with their families' if you don't like how long it is.

I included both parent's names but there aren't any divorces. It also wasn't because some one would be hurt - his parents were more worried that some of the people they are sending invites to wouldn't know who's wedding it was if their names weren't on there. (yes, they are inviting people who might not even know their children. different fight entirely)
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

•  @hardlyhannah I understand the "his parents were more worried that some of the people they are sending invites to wouldn't know who's wedding it was if their names weren't on there. (yes, they are inviting people who might not even know their children. different fight entirely)"

My mom is inviting people that who I feel might not know who we are I if her name was not on it. That's why I felt her specific name should be on there along with my real dad who is paying. But his parents are not really inviting that many people at all just some family members. They are doing a rehearsal dinner, but that's it.
  • Ok. Lots of options.

"Together with their families"

Then: Your First Middle Last Name
    to
    Mr. His First Middle Last Name

(the last name should clear any confusion there - presuming it is the same as the parents)

Mr. and Mrs. X 
    and
    Mr. X

then

Your First Middle Name

to

His First Middle

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Father's First Last

"Son of" is not technically "correct', but it does add their names and make them not feel left out. If you have a good relationship with them, there is no reason to not add them. 

The names at the top of the invite are technically the host(s). Host can mean anything, from what I understand. It can mean who is paying, or not. From what I have been reading, there are lots of grey areas with that.  Even though one set of parents  is "hosting," they may not be footing the entire bill. His parents might contribute, but still aren't "hosting."

For our invites, it was important to me to  have FI's name as: "Mr. First Middle Last Name."  He is an adult and in my eyes, deserves a "Mr." title. First name middle name is what I would call a child...but that's just me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• From what I read, when I was doing the invites, the etiquette is to list whomever is paying for the wedding.  As both our parents are contributing I went with "together with their parents".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • Also, for posting purposes, I'm presuming you took out verbs (as I did). Your OP doesn't really invite (just lists names). 

And 5:30 can be listed as "half after five," not the numerical 5:30. It depends on how formal you want to be and how formal your event is.

We consulted Martha and Emily Post while creating our invites. (Post was a book). Here's Martha on wording: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/228634/wedding-invitation-wording/@center/272440/wedding-etiquette-adviser

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Mr. and Mrs. X 
     then

Your First Middle Name

to

His First Middle

This is what we did.  My parents wanted his parents name on the invitation "to be fair", and they are not helping us out at all, so this is the solution we came up with. 
  • @SEWInLoveWithDMB  "Also, for posting purposes, I'm presuming you took out verbs (as I did). Your OP doesn't really invite (just lists names). "

What?
  • See everyone that is how I'm in a pickle.... If I don't put my moms name as I said " My mom is inviting people that who I feel might not know who we are I if her name was not on it. That's why I felt her specific name should be on there along with my real dad who is paying." Thats why I can't  put with families and If I do the 
    Mr. and Mrs. X 
    and
    Mr. X

then

Your First Middle Name

to

His First Middle

Everyone of our parents name is on there except for his real mom and that just seems rude. And not just that it won't all fit. I'ts also kinda long-winded. So do you think I should just not worry about it cause traditionally there names do not go and if they ask just tell them its not tradition.
  • I like that alisonmarie685 I think that could flow well. My only problem is I have been using wedding paper divas and it won't fit. But I heard you can contact them and have a designer look at it and help you fit it. 
  • @SEWInLoveWithDMB  "Also, for posting purposes, I'm presuming you took out verbs (as I did). Your OP doesn't really invite (just lists names). "

What?
    Just pointing out what you posting in your OP doesn't have a verb - so it is not actually telling anyone to do anything (in this case - inviting them)

Together with
        George, 
    wally and Mary

Request the hono(u)r of your presence
    at the the marriage of their children/(daughter)

Salina 
             & (to)
        Micheal

To a celebration of love, laughter, and family as best friends become husband and wife
    saturday, the 5th of october
    5:30 p.m
    reception and happily ever after to follow

------------------------

Your OP had been missing the verb "request" and the following sentences... - which is what really invites them. You might have just cut them out and was focused on the names (as I did) but I just wanted to point it out.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• My two cents - if parents are inviting their friends who might not know the children's names, they should call these people "just to confirm the still have a current address since we are sending Judy & Tom's invites out next weekend" or after the invites go out "just to make sure you got them - we are so excited about Judy & Tom's wedding!" This has the bonus of giving mom a chance to talk about the wedding planning to her friends and gives you the flexibility to have whatever wording YOU want on YOUR wedding invites. I'm guessing the real issue is Mom wants to see her name in fancy script on pretty paper - a whole other issue.
  • How about this:

Dad Bride and Mom and Stepdad Bride

together with

Mom Groom and Dad and Stepmom Groom

Invite you to a celebration of love, laughter, and family as best friends

Salina Bride

&

Micheal Groom

become husband and wife

Saturday, the fifth of October

5:30 in the evening

Reception and happily ever after to follow

(and I love the happily ever after part - too sweet!)

• @swimguppy I really like that but when you read this out loud do you think then the parents names flows right with all the Ands? 

I just had a thought too his dad and step mom pretend my fiance's real mom is non-existent. It's really awkward for us cause his real mom is really nice and never says anything mean about them and the first time I said her name to his dad and stepmom they were like who. The whole thing is really weird for me cause my mom, stepdad, and real dad are all good friends for my whole life and they were all there together at every family get together. But I know that might not be normal for most. So I'm wondering if they will get mad her name is next there's on the invitation. I'll just say either your name is on the invitation or not all. Cause everyone's name should be on the invitation and nobody should be singled out. I''l just ask them before I order them so there not surprised. 
  • I'm definitely not an invitation expert, but I believe that only married couples should be listed on the same line and joined with an 'and'. So, it would be incorrect to say:

BrideDad and Mom and Stepdad

Instead, it should be:

Bride Dad
    Mom and Stepdad 

Check out the invites and paper board; they usually have some great suggestions for wording.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards