Military Brides

Military Clause

I've been researching via google on how to plan a wedding with my FI who is in the military.  Apparently, its very important that all contracts that you sign have a military clause.  I'm going to a bridal show next weekend, and I'm assuming I should ask vendors that I am interested in if they have a military clause.  Also, what do most of these mean?  Does it mean you can rescheduled?  Be refunded?Sorry if this is a ridiculous question.  I'm not very military savvy.  :(

Re: Military Clause

• edited December 2011
    Not a ridiculous questions at all! You're corrent in that it's very important to get the clause in your contracts. You just never know what might come up. From my experience most of the vendors don't already have it in their contracts, so you will need to ask them to add it in. Just as an example, the clause in my contract with my photog reads, "In the event the active duty military member receives official orders, the deposit for the wedding contract will be held if the date is changed and there is a still a contract present between client and **** Photography.  In the event that the date is changed and the contract with **** Photography does not hold due to scheduling reasons, **** Photography will return deposit in full to client."I'm sure there are other ladies on here who can offer a lot more information on this, but I hope this helps some! GL!
    Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
  • edited December 2011
    sorry the text is weird : )
    Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't ask anyone, I told them our situation and told them that I needed a military clause in the contract.  Basically, we could postpone at no extra charge or God forbid just lose the initial deposit, no matter how much was paid up to that date.  Neither needed to happen thankfully.  Have fun at the BS, but be prepared to write your name and info over and over again.  Then, be ready to hear the phone ringing off the hook for months (some with scam presentations you have to attend to win a vacation).
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice!  I almost dreading booking vendors because I was so afraid of what might happen if he got orders last minute.  Good to know that such a thing exist!
  • edited December 2011
    Don't dread booking vendors based on clauses! Trust me it'll all work out.  You wouldn't want to work with anyone who isn't sympathetic and understanding of your situation anyways. I only kept the people who would do this (one guy was a totally hippie and against the military and wouldn't agree to it, so I said goodbye!) Most places understood and wrote something similar to what abh12482 said in our contracts. I'm sooo glad we did it! We had to move our date up a month early because of issues with leave. You'll want to do it, and you'll be glad to have that insurance, even if you don't end up having to change it. Good luck!
  • I just came across this and this is very helpful!!! Thank you for the advise! I will defiantly look into it when i start planning! :) 
  • I felt the exact same way when I was booking vendors, petrified that if something came up we'd lose the thousands of dollars. But, after speaking with several venues, photographers, bands, etc. I found the ones that were not only understanding, but more than willing to accommodate our needs. When we first got engaged we discussed waiting until his contract was up so we wouldn't have to worry about it, but once I started looking at dresses and this website, that didn't last long. Luckily, adding a military clause to contracts gave me more than enough confidence!!! Good Luck!  
  • Don't forget to ask if they have a military discount. 
  • Holy crap!  This post is from 2009!  Can you people seriously not dig up old posts?  Please just post a new thread.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Holy crap!  This post is from 2009!  Can you people seriously not dig up old posts?  Please just post a new thread.  
    But then I wouldn't have been reminded about CharlieMaverick. I'm almost positive she was the one who said she wanted to join the military, and one of her reasons was that in Girl Scouts, she had really liked earning ribbons. Lolol. Never forget her. 

But then I wouldn't have been reminded about CharlieMaverick. I'm almost positive she was the one who said she wanted to join the military, and one of her reasons was that in Girl Scouts, she had really liked earning ribbons. Lolol. Never forget her. 

I was never in Girl Scouts. I would have been awful in the military probably huh?
  • Ggirl, I hated Girl Scouts. I'm probably going to fail boot camp now :P
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sammy0709 said:

Ggirl, I hated Girl Scouts. I'm probably going to fail boot camp now :P

Fail? Just don't go. Avoid the failure lol.
  • Besides the stupid stuff at the end, this was actually very helpful. Just visited my first vendor today and asked what their policy was in the case that my Fiance's deployment got extended while overseas, but haven't gotten far enough in my search to think about the contract.
  • lildeb550 said:
    Besides the stupid stuff at the end, this was actually very helpful. Just visited my first vendor today and asked what their policy was in the case that my Fiance's deployment got extended while overseas, but haven't gotten far enough in my search to think about the contract.
    Well, pardon us for daring to have a conversation on a John McCain aged post!

• lildeb550 said:

Besides the stupid stuff at the end, this was actually very helpful. Just visited my first vendor today and asked what their policy was in the case that my Fiance's deployment got extended while overseas, but haven't gotten far enough in my search to think about the contract.

Well, pardon us for daring to have a conversation on a John McCain aged post!

This is why we can't have nice things. By nice things I mean have fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards