Interfaith Weddings

Jewish/Catholic Wedding

I am a Reform Jew and my FI is Catholic. Our religions are very important to us and we want that to show in our wedding. We are having a priest and rabbi co-officiate the wedding (he is asking a priest he is close with and I am going to look for a rabbi). We have compromised so far on several things. We are not getting married in a church or synagogue, we are having an outdoor ceremony. We are getting married under a chuppah and he will break the glass (something he asked to do, actually). Both my parents are walking me down the aisle while his parents will not accompany him down the aisle.  I will admit I am not familiar with Catholic weddings and everything I suggest we incorporate is something I cannot do because I am not Catholic. Any suggestions on what we can do?

Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewishcatholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:11a268cd-05c0-4934-813f-5605e0d1dc7fPost:fb9054a4-ab4d-471d-9edd-014d1dd91d2f">Jewish/Catholic Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a Reform Jew and my FI is Catholic. Our religions are very important to us and we want that to show in our wedding. We are having a priest and rabbi co-officiate the wedding (he is asking a priest he is close with and I am going to look for a rabbi). We have compromised so far on several things. We are not getting married in a church or synagogue, we are having an outdoor ceremony. We are getting married under a chuppah and he will break the glass (something he asked to do, actually). Both my parents are walking me down the aisle while his parents will not accompany him down the aisle.  I will admit I am not familiar with Catholic weddings and everything I suggest we incorporate is something I cannot do because I am not Catholic. Any suggestions on what we can do?
    Posted by phoenix870509[/QUOTE]

Well, a Catholic wedding isn't a cultural backdrop...the practices in a Catholic wedding are not just mere symbolism, but are parts of the ritulals of faith. They have faith in their very meaning.

Are you getting a dispensation from form from the church? This is the first step. Catholics must marry in the church in order for it to be valid, but they can get a dispensation from form. Otherwise, he can no longer participate in the sacraments, and since you say that is important to him, then this is an important step. Since he is contacting a priest, the priest will guide you on this.

A catholic wedding has a liturgy of the word (old, new testement readings, a psalm, and a gospel). It has the promises of marriage and rings, intercessory prayers, the our father and sign of peace.
  • Mazel tov!

You might have some difficulties finding a rabbi, even a reform one. Most will officiate interfaith weddings only on the promise that the children will be raised Jewish and if your fiance participates in intro to Judaism classes- he does not need to convert though. 

You might have more luck finding a cantor or going through something like interfaithfamily.com. 

The Jewish Brides board has several interfaith posters so come and visit if you ever have a question!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would be surprised if you were able to find a Catholic Priest and a Rabbi who were willing to do this, to be blunt. And if you do find willing officiants, it's really going to be up to THEM as to what you are allowed to incorporate into your ceremony. Best to find the officiants first before you waste a lot of time deciding what you want - you could end up being disappointed in the end if you have your heart set on including certain elements that the officiants simply will not allow.
  • You can call or text me if you need a Rabbi.
    239-404-7298
    Rabbi Michael
  • We had both a priest and a rabbi officiate our wedding.  There aren't a ton of "Catholic" traditions, but we did do Catholic vows and split our ceremony pretty equally.  Please let me know if you would like me to send you our ceremony!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewishcatholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:396Discussion:11a268cd-05c0-4934-813f-5605e0d1dc7fPost:e1c37ad2-c58a-4401-a870-768d4490e7ac">Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had both a priest and a rabbi officiate our wedding.  There aren't a ton of "Catholic" traditions, but we did do Catholic vows and split our ceremony pretty equally.  Please let me know if you would like me to send you our ceremony!
    Posted by count the stars[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewishcatholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:396Discussion:11a268cd-05c0-4934-813f-5605e0d1dc7fPost:e1c37ad2-c58a-4401-a870-768d4490e7ac">Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had both a priest and a rabbi officiate our wedding.  There aren't a ton of "Catholic" traditions, but we did do Catholic vows and split our ceremony pretty equally.  Please let me know if you would like me to send you our ceremony!

how did you get rabbi and priest together as I am searching in the Tampa bay area for my son. Thank you
  • If the wedding didn't take place in a Catholic church, it will not be considered a valid Catholic marriage. In this case, the Catholic spouse would no longer be able to receive communion and other sacraments as they will have stepped out of grace with the Chuch.
  • My very good friend who is Jewish (not acting, but by default) is marrying a fellow who is Catholic.  The family on his side demands that the service be in a church by a priest.  What will my friend have to do to make this happen and be valid in the eyes of the Catholic church?  She is willing to do what needs to be done since her faith is important, but not THAT important to her.  She'll make the appropriate changes she needs to marry the guy of her dreams!  Thank you!

I PM'd you - hope you get it ! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewishcatholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:11a268cd-05c0-4934-813f-5605e0d1dc7fPost:f54288d8-228c-4ddf-a944-57907569d52c">Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the wedding didn't take place in a Catholic church, it will not be considered a valid Catholic marriage. In this case, the Catholic spouse would no longer be able to receive communion and other sacraments as they will have stepped out of grace with the Chuch.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

<div>This is not accurate at all.  A Catholic merely needs to receive a dispensation to get married outside of the church which is always granted for interfaith weddings. Once you get this you can have a fully recognized natural marriage.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewishcatholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:11a268cd-05c0-4934-813f-5605e0d1dc7fPost:d0ad4d36-2b79-488d-82b4-a1ff7ad39691">Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding : This is not accurate at all.  A Catholic merely needs to receive a dispensation to get married outside of the church which is always granted for interfaith weddings. Once you get this you can have a fully recognized natural marriage.  
    Posted by mauragreen[/QUOTE]

It's true that you can get a dispensation to be married in another Christian church under very strict circumstances (ie the groom's father is a minister there), but no, the Church does NOT grant this for any and all interfaith weddings. Getting married in a synagogue/temple/outdoors will not be permitted.
  • Hi, 
    I am planning my wedding for this coming July. I am Jewish and my fiance is Catholic. We are looking for a Rabbi and Priest to officiate in the Los Angeles area. If they have worked together before, that would be ideal. If anyone has any referrals, I would greatly appreciate it! :) 
    Melinda
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewishcatholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:11a268cd-05c0-4934-813f-5605e0d1dc7fPost:e1c37ad2-c58a-4401-a870-768d4490e7ac">Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding</a>:

Hi, I just saw this post and I am planning a similar ceremony.  Would you mind sending me yours so I can have a sample?

Thanks!
    Laina
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_jewishcatholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:11a268cd-05c0-4934-813f-5605e0d1dc7fPost:e1c37ad2-c58a-4401-a870-768d4490e7ac">Re: Jewish/Catholic Wedding</a>:

<div>
    </div><div>My fiance and i are getting married in a year and are trying to plan an interfaith ceremony that incorporates elements of both of our religions (i am Jewish and he is Catholic).  I know your original post was years ago, but I would love to see your ceremony as an example to maybe base our off of.  Thanks!</div>
  • edited June 2013
  • edited June 2013
  • Hi, I'd love to get a copy of your ceremony if you are able to send it! Thank you!

• Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Hi can you send an outline on your ceremony.... I'm also planning an interfaith wedding
  • The church will recognize it if you go through the proper steps. It can not be outdoors, but because one party is Jewish it can be in a building other than a church. It won't however be a sacrament.
  • Not true. I am getting married in a secular building and they WILL recognize it. Your priest must fill out certain paperwork. They allow this with Jewish weddings because that family could be offended by the cross. The two caveats: You can not get married outdoors, and it will be a valid Catholic marriage but not a sacrament.
  • Did you find a priest that will do it? I am in a similar situation looking for a priest. We have a rabbi.
  • My daughter is Catholic and he is Jewish. She wants to be married in a Catholic church and have the ceremony both faiths. Is it possible and could you send me your ceremony? We need a starting point.

Thank you so much1    

• Hi! I am reform Jewish and my fiance is Catholic although not very religious these days. We have been to a few weddings with interfaith and it can be really beautiful! We plan to raise our children Jewish also. I am looking for rabbis/priests in the New York City/Westchester/Hudson Valley area - any suggestions? I also would appreciate an outline or video of someone's ceremony for ideas. Thanks!
  • We had both a priest and a rabbi officiate our wedding. There aren't a ton of "Catholic" traditions, but we did do Catholic vows and split our ceremony pretty equally. Please let me know if you would like me to send you our ceremony!
    Posted by count the stars

Hi there,

I am Jewish and my fiancée is catholic and we'd like to represent both faiths in the ceremony. In response to the above comment, could you send me your ceremony? Also, was this in a church or elsewhere?

Many thanks!

~Laurel
  • Could you please send me your ceremony as well?  I am catholic marrying a reformed jew.

Thank you!
  • I'm Catholic. FI was raised Jewish and his parents say they won't come to an interfaith wedding in a Church. The priest at my church apparently does not officiate weddings outside of the Church. Having a valid marriage per the Church is very important to me. 

Any advice on what we can do?

• chraron said:

I'm Catholic. FI was raised Jewish and his parents say they won't come to an interfaith wedding in a Church. The priest at my church apparently does not officiate weddings outside of the Church. Having a valid marriage per the Church is very important to me. 

@chraron I believe you would need to apply to your church to get a dispensation from form so that your marriage can be performed outside of a church but still be recognized as valid by your church.  If you go over to the Catholic Weddings board they can explain it to you.
    chraron said:

I'm Catholic. FI was raised Jewish and his parents say they won't come to an interfaith wedding in a Church. The priest at my church apparently does not officiate weddings outside of the Church. Having a valid marriage per the Church is very important to me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards