Plus-Sized

bridal salon vents

so i went to one place last weekend she has a toon of plus and i was able to get in size 20s and up to try on im a street size 22. fell in love with one dress morilee  but me and my mom my sister and aunt agreed we should check out at least one more salon to see some other designers and how they would look on me this other salon also specalizes in plus.. then today my mom said are u sure you just want to hit up one place on saturday do you want to go someplace else that could be close by. so i called about 4 bridal salons all within a 20- 30 minute drive from the salon i have an apointment with. 

first salon has some plus not many to try on. plus they carry the almost the same designers as the place i have the apointment with, second salon we have only 2 gowns over a 20 to try on. not wasting a drive for 2 gowns, third place i called no we dont carry anything in plus..  now this is where it gets really interesting i called the last place i could think of  they said we have one gown in a 26 everything else is sample ( small regular sizes) do you want to make an apointment? i said no and hung up.. 
now if u are a bridal salon and im calling to try on gowns and you only have 1 gown u can get me into do you think i am going to waste my time and gas to try on one gown and then maybe u try to squeez me into a sample 12 gown wont work with my curves and hips.. 

so after calling them up i stood a firm ground with my mom and said hey no one has near as many gowns as the first place or the place we are going on saturday. we should stick to this place and see what they have if nothing catches my eye then i will be making a deposit on the gown i really loved at the first salon. she agreed. i told her i dont want to be in bridal gown overload like the girls on kilenfield are sometimes  when they are on tv saying this is the 200 gown i tried on.. 

anyone else have similar issues. i am glad i called up these places and asked. i would have hated to make an apointment and they look at me like uh we dont have your size. 

Re: bridal salon vents

• so i went to one place last weekend she has a toon of plus and i was able to get in size 20s and up to try on im a street size 22. fell in love with one dress morilee  but me and my mom my sister and aunt agreed we should check out at least one more salon to see some other designers and how they would look on me this other salon also specalizes in plus.. then today my mom said are u sure you just want to hit up one place on saturday do you want to go someplace else that could be close by. so i called about 4 bridal salons all within a 20- 30 minute drive from the salon i have an apointment with. 

first salon has some plus not many to try on. plus they carry the almost the same designers as the place i have the apointment with, second salon we have only 2 gowns over a 20 to try on. not wasting a drive for 2 gowns, third place i called no we dont carry anything in plus..  now this is where it gets really interesting i called the last place i could think of  they said we have one gown in a 26 everything else is sample ( small regular sizes) do you want to make an apointment? i said no and hung up.. 
    now if u are a bridal salon and im calling to try on gowns and you only have 1 gown u can get me into do you think i am going to waste my time and gas to try on one gown and then maybe u try to squeez me into a sample 12 gown wont work with my curves and hips.. 

so after calling them up i stood a firm ground with my mom and said hey no one has near as many gowns as the first place or the place we are going on saturday. we should stick to this place and see what they have if nothing catches my eye then i will be making a deposit on the gown i really loved at the first salon. she agreed. i told her i dont want to be in bridal gown overload like the girls on kilenfield are sometimes  when they are on tv saying this is the 200 gown i tried on.. 

anyone else have similar issues. i am glad i called up these places and asked. i would have hated to make an apointment and they look at me like uh we dont have your size. 
    I had similar experiences, but I did the same as you.  I called ahead of time.  If they didn't have at least 5 different dress styles in a plus size (at least an 18) I didn't bother making an appointment.
  •                     I'm in the minority because I did/am. I m a 22 and my mother, who is paying for the dress, and who would make it if her arthritis weren't so bad now, is very picky about clothing material and construction.She wanted me to be able to buy a nicer dress that was not mass manufactured.
       There is a great plus-size shop here, but the owner has made the decision to stick with more budget friendly lines. I knew going in I would likely not be able to try much on unless I traveled to either New York or Chicago, so I made peace with that. I have tried on various silhouettes so I know what's likely to be flattering.That said, I would not buy from a salon that treated me badly because I'm plus size.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• zizibet said:
                        I'm in the minority because I did/am. I m a 22 and my mother, who is paying for the dress, and who would make it if her arthritis weren't so bad now, is very picky about clothing material and construction.She wanted me to be able to buy a nicer dress that was not mass manufactured.
       There is a great plus-size shop here, but the owner has made the decision to stick with more budget friendly lines. I knew going in I would likely not be able to try much on unless I traveled to either New York or Chicago, so I made peace with that. I have tried on various silhouettes so I know what's likely to be flattering.That said, I would not buy from a salon that treated me badly because I'm plus size.
    i went to another salon this weekend that specalizes in plus well the gowns are on a second floor private area. racks and racks about 6 or 7 racks of gowns but the plus sizes are mixed in and not in a seprate area would have loved that so i wouldnt have had to search for the size tags on every gown. they had maggies and allures and a few other designers most of the plus was in 14s 16s 18s. some 20s like maybe 2  a 22 maybe 2 and a 24 maybe 1 i was able to get into some 18s nothing cought my eye i wanted taffita lace and pick ups the only pick up gown they had was satine heavy and heavy beading on the sweatheart neckline. the consultant did ask me if i had tryed anything else on and i was honest i could not get this gown out of my head http://www.morilee.com/bridals/julietta/3098 when i left the salon i started to get emotional over the morilee dress and the lady at the other salon was nice to let me try it again quicky i am going back this week to make the deposit on it. 
  • I'm glad you found your dress. Shopping is tough.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a horrible experience at Alfred Angelo this past weekend.  I still can't even talk about it without boohooing.  After calling around to other salons in the area telling them I'm a 14/16, the majority either didn't have any or had a handful.  Made up my mind to go to the DC area as was suggested to me on these boards before.  Told my mom that at least I tried.  My self-esteem is in the toilet now, though.
  • I called to make an appointment at one salon and the lady actually laughed at me when I told her my size and my budget.  Needless to say I won't be looking there.    However, I walked in to an Alfred Angelo without an appointment and even though they didn't have any dresses in the style I wanted the sales lady was super nice and made lots of suggestions, even bringing bridesmaid dresses for me to try on without making me feel like a idiot. 
  • I had a horrible experience at Alfred Angelo this past weekend.  I still can't even talk about it without boohooing.  After calling around to other salons in the area telling them I'm a 14/16, the majority either didn't have any or had a handful.  Made up my mind to go to the DC area as was suggested to me on these boards before.  Told my mom that at least I tried.  My self-esteem is in the toilet now, though.
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Everyone I know had great experiences at Alfred Angelo. 
  • Maybe it's the local one (Altamonte Springs, FL) but their samples where disgustingly dirty -- I expect some wear and tear and dirt but these were black!  Plus the service was terrible.  Glad it worked out for others.
  • Maybe it's the local one (Altamonte Springs, FL) but their samples where disgustingly dirty -- I expect some wear and tear and dirt but these were black!  Plus the service was terrible.  Glad it worked out for others.

Yuck !!  If you have another one you can drive to, I would suggest trying another store. I have never heard of it being that bad!!   gross!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards