Nevada-Las Vegas

Second guessing everything :-(

I just about had a panic attack last night over this wedding and planning it all from so far away. Clearly I didnt really consider what I was getting myself into when we came up with our brilliant las vegas wedding idea and planning it from Australia (Could you get any further from Las Vegas than Australia?).

Now Ive already made deposits and sent save the dates so Im definitely still going ahead with the wedding in Vegas. But Im really struggling with planning from a distance. Poor FI had to deal with me completely freaking out about vendors, table settings, hair and make up, flowers - just about everything til about 1am last night becuase Im so panicked and anxious about everything. Because I havent SEEN anything or TOUCHED anything - its all just been what is available online. Im now at a stage where I am planning on re-jigging my budget to take a trip to LV in October/November this year just to try and alleviate my anxiety.

My mum lives in Canada so she will probably join me for the trip. At least we will be able to visit my venues, do some tastings, meet with my DOC, tour our suite, check out some floral, arrange linens/centrepieces etc. This will be an added $2k on our wedding budget for me to take this trip but I think I will be a mess come April 2014 if I dont go.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

Re: Second guessing everything :-(

• I think every bride has a panic attack like that at some point! I contemplated doing a planning trip as well but decided against it as we wanted to use that money towards the wedding. I think most Vegas brides plan everything sight unseen. If you have done your research (and from what posts of yours that I have seen, it looks like you have) than I think you will be okay! Even if you plan everything perfectly down to the last detail, things can still go wrong on your wedding day. The most important thing is that you and your fiancé are there and you are surrounded by the people you love.
  • If you can afford it and it will give you piece of mind, go for it! But know that many of us live in the U.S. don't see it either and plan from afar. I've been to Vegas twice so I know some layout of the strip but the hotels I'm using for services, none of them I've actually been inside so I am completely blind in that regard. I am basing it purely on bride reviews and photos, checking out websites, asking questions, etc. I've had some anxiety on the fact that I haven't seen the chapel, nor the restaurant, but I have to tell myself that many people have been in this boat before me and have provided good reviews for the places I have chosen. Also, as mentioned before, something unthought of can happen regardless of whether you've gone no matter how much you plan.
    Hope your anxiety has gone down some since last night... All the best
  • I've been to Vegas 3 times, with the last time in 2008. I've planned it just from reviews and help from here, etc. I think you will be fine if you end up not taking a trip before hand. I've been having panic attacks as well, but I think that's completely normal for all of us brides to be. We were originally going to have our wedding in FL, but after realizing how difficult it was going to be to plan that from afar, we chose Vegas. It seems as though all destinations for weddings in the US, Vegas has the most information and reviews and is the easiest to plan from a distance. Good luck on what you decide to do, but even myself who's been there 3 times in the past, am still having panic attacks and complete freak out moments. :)
  • I think regardless you will have little wedding anxiety attacks. Its completely normal. I was just there in April and
    I still am not completely sure about certain things but I know it comes with having a destination wedding. I'm sure everything will turn out great for you its all understandable you feeling the way you do! Good luck mo :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Thanks Ladies. I have found some great deals on flight/hotel packages in October that I am looking into. I know that things can still go horribly wrong on the day, but I do think it will at least put me at ease taking a scouting trip. It is a lot of money that could be put to better use - but if anything it will be a great opportunity for me to do wedding things with my mum who lives so far away.

I really appreciate the support on this board. If I do end up taking the scouting trip you all KNOW I will be posting pics.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Vegas is a big on weddings, as long as your doing your research you should be fine. If you see a trend appearing with reviews stay away.

As my gf that just got married said "Some sh!t will go wrong, you can't avoid it, just don't make a big deal about it and don't point it out, no one else knows exactly what you should have"...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I understand where you are coming from.  I too am organising from far away (New Zealand).  I am having a really small wedding though (4-6 people in total at this stage) so as long as we have the ceremony, photographer and dinner planned everything else will fall into place. 

Stumbling upon this board was a blessing, it's great getting advice from people in the same position and hearing reviews from people you trust :-)
    Anniversary
  • spoon1984spoon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    Planning from the UK I too understand where your coming from but I only have nine guests and have kept it really simple. I've booked hair & makeup in my hotel, ceremony at Caesars, a private room at Canaletto and cake from Retro so I've not had much to organise and that was enough! The aim was to combine our wedding with our holiday.

From your posts you seem very organised and are showing your guests a good time!
  • Deep breaths, Mo! Go with your gut, you did your research! Everything sounds fantastic that you have planned!

Just remember a bad day in Vegas is better than a good day anywhere else :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Awww Mo! We all go through this..I'm 3 hours away, did all my tastings, scouted everything and I still panicked and second guessed and the one thing I didn't do that I could still kick myself in the a$$ for is not doing a makeup trial so my advice to you of course is going to be when you do go in October DO A TRIAL!  Hugs and everything will be wonderful :)
  • I hope you're feeling better about things now Mo! Lots of good advice and support from the posts above already. But yeah I really think you need to remember how anxiety-provoking this all this and I've seen it with my friends/family who've planned weddings round the corner from where they live! Its just NORMAL to panic about every last thing when planning something that is such an important event in your life. And a scouting trip probably won't stop that from happening either! However, it does sound like it would be a good opportunity to have some mother-daughter wedding time if you can afford it :) although maybe you need to properly weigh up the pros and cons of spending the money on a scouting trip and what else it could be spent on for your wedding. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • I planned from abroad too!  I was in Qatar (over 10,000 miles away) and we'll see if everything pays off this weekend.  Don't worry - I'm going to have a great time this weekend with friends from around the world, and you are going to do the same next year!!!
  • Thank you ladies. It really means a lot. I dont even know what brought it on the other night. I go through periods of being so excited then panicking, then feeling 'ok'. We can afford my trip but like some of you have mentioned, it could be money better spent on the actual wedding trip. We will make the best decision for us but either way I know that I need to calm down and focus on what my wedding really means - marrying FI who has been so supportive with my freakouts. How do they stay so CALM with this wedding stuff??!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• They figure everything will pan out, and whatever happens, happens. Hahaha!
  • Yeah my FI is so laid back anyway, it really helps me, the only thing he is really stressing about is what he is going to wear, because he keeps changing his mind!

I'm trying my best to relax about it all, as I know that no matter what happens we'll be in Vegas with our most favourite people and getting married to my soul mate and no amount of sub-par photos or food or weather will ruin that :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • nixymnixym member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I totally agree with all the other posts, you'll probably have more mini freak outs even if you do go on a scouting trip!  That's not to say it might not help you and of course it's a great thing to do with your Mum :)

At the end of the day it's a celebration of you and your FI and if he's there and the people you care about are there that's what matters.  You've done loads of research and planning, I'm sure everything will be ace!

• mnuppmnupp member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Wherever you would have chosen to get married, there may have been freak-outs. My BFF/MOH got married in our hometown and works in hospitality and still had panic-marriage-dreams. Sometimes I still wonder if Vegas was the right choice, if a backyard wedding wouldn't have been easier ... then I think about the rentals and logistics and cleaning and I remember why we chose Vegas!

I wonder if you might have more peace of mind if you hire a day-of coordinator? A number of people have made recommendations about how smoothly things ran when they used a local professional who literally does this day-in/day-out. And that person can take care of table numbers and flowers and all your panic attack, middle-of-the-night e-mails. Might be even better than a scouting trip, IMHO.
  • missmo14missmo14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment First Answer
    edited June 2013

I dont know how else to say this but WOOHOO IM GOING TO VEGAS FOR MY BIRTHDAY IN SEPTEMBER! I found some sale fares and jumped on them. I havent spent a birthday with my mum since I was 18! So both of us are really excited and looking forward to it.

Kinda sucky timing cos we will be there on the mayweather fight weekend and hotel rates are crazzzzyyy high. Thanks for all the supportive posts ladies I really appreciated it. Ive calmed down but just decided to take the trip for some time with my mum before the wedding :-)

Oh and because of the international date line I get a 41 hour birthday! So I get to wake up and have birthday breakfast with FI and my DS, fly to Vegas and get there at 5pm (still my birthday) and have birthday dinner with my mum :-).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sounds wonderful, missmo!
  • nixymnixym member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Sounds awesome!  So jealous!
  • As others have said.. you totally will second guess probably up until the week of the wedding.. but just know that you have prepared and researched.its all going to come together. And you will marry your best friend..love of your life..

totally enjoy your time in Sept... run around get things sone.. BUT.... enjoy your time with your mum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nothing wrong with a bonus trip to Vegas!  I think you'd have been fine either way though, don't stress too much; a well planned wedding usually goes fine whether you meet the vendors face to face in advance or not.  The restaurant manager was the only person I had met a few times in person; our other vendors I didn't see until wedding day.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I definitely won't be meeting ALL of my vendors on this trip. Mum and I will be in Vegas for 5 nights so im spreading the wedding stuff out and leaving heaps of time for her and I to go to nice dinners, shows, spa, shopping and just mother/daughter time hanging out. Last time we did something like this was a trip to New York in 2006! So far we have booked into the Mirage and arranged a limo airport pick up (hey its my birthday!). We are going to do the tasting at Maggianos, have a hair and make up trial, tour my ceremony site at Flamingo and the Apex suite at PH. Ive also lined up meetings with my coordinator and our DJ. Ofcourse im sure I will still have my freak outs before the wedding but this pre-wedding trip will help heaps especially cos I havent been to Vegas since November 2008!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sounds like you have a great trip planned!  and it will give you some peace of mind too.  I only live about 5 hours away and I freak out from time to time!  

I love the idea of a hair and makeup trial!  
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • Definitely sounds like a great trip
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey Missmo, take lots of pics of our rooms at Maggianos and share please! Lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh you KNOW I will. I will try and take a video if I can.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That would be awesome and sooo much. Thanks Missmo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards