Wedding Reception Forum

Fun, Tacky, or Childish?

We are going with a rustic, vintage type theme for our wedding. 

Log slabs with mason jars and hydrangeas for centerpieces, cowboy boots, things like that. 

My fiance and I were at a restaurant last night where they had white butcher paper as the table cloth.  We had so much for coloring before dinner.  So we came up with the idea, rather than spending $6 per table cloth rental, what about white butcher paper and crayons.  Maybe with a sign explaining our love for coloring on table cloths!

So i need opinions.  If you went to a wedding that had crayons and butcher paper and a note explaining how the bride and groom love this type of setting, what would you think?  Fun?!  Tacky?! 

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Re: Fun, Tacky, or Childish?

• Typo:  We had so much FUN coloring before dinner.
  • I personally like to doodle but I would need more than 3 colors lol :) I would sign butcher paper :)
  • Personally I'd get a kick out of it--I'm a pretty compulsive doodler.  I only think it would be a little odd if everything else was fairly formerly, but it doesn't sound like that's your plan.  I don't think you really need a sign though, paper + crayons seems pretty self explanatory.  I don't know if you were planing this or not, but I would not count on it being a guestbook alternative since people will be eating and setting drinks on it as well so it might not be in great shape by the end of the night.
  • I think you and your groom would have a lot of fun looking them over after the wedding!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    I think it would be fine, given your informal theme with log slabs and cowboy boots. No note needed. People will know what to do with the crayons.
  • As long as your having a laid back wedding it's fine. It wouldn't work for a formal affair.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm usually down for stuff like this.  But even if it's super informal and in the daytime, this would seem really out of place at a wedding.  I would do an inner eye roll, but I know I'd probably play along anyway because it was there :)
  • I'm usually down for stuff like this.  But even if it's super informal and in the daytime, this would seem really out of place at a wedding.  I would do an inner eye roll, but I know I'd probably play along anyway because it was there :)
    I agree.

I think casual and rustic is perfect and can still be classy for a wedding.  Once you add crayons, you lose the classiness.  I think it would be fine for many other events, just not a wedding.
  • edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• For a casual wedding this would work just fine. However, I too would demabd more colors. Also, if you do go this route, and are serving alcohol, don't be terribly surprised or offended if you get something... ahem... off color. There are a few Macaroni Grill wait staff that suffered from seeing my artistic platfulness when I was in college abd got ahold of crayons after several glasses of wine.
    I think it sounds fun, but this would be my concern as well.
  • edited June 2013
    For a casual wedding this would work just fine. However, I too would demabd more colors. Also, if you do go this route, and are serving alcohol, don't be terribly surprised or offended if you get something... ahem... off color. There are a few Macaroni Grill wait staff that suffered from seeing my artistic platfulness when I was in college abd got ahold of crayons after several glasses of wine.
    I think it's a fun idea. I would enjoy it.  I would also be probably one of the worst offenders of the off-color thing.....I know it's wrong, but something just comes over me and I have to draw something immature like a dick. 

Don't do a "cute sign" or anything.  Paper plus crayons is pretty self explanatory.
  • You don't need a sign. If you include it in your wedding, your guests will assume it's because you like it. Skip the cute sign.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • white paper on tables is pretty common. so since you only did this once putting a cute sign about how much you love it seems......silly? i guess is the word?

people know what to do with crayons and paper

i have no idea how it fits in with a rustic vintage theme (what does that mean anyway? and how do cowboy boots fit in?) do you mean you have a rustic country theme?

• I think it's a little childish. I would color on butcher paper at a restaurant because there's not much to do other than chit-chat before your food comes. Hopefully your guests won't be bored enough that they have to occupy themselves by coloring.
  • I actually really like the idea, but don't think I'd include it in my reception.  I also love drawing on them and am having a pretty laid back reception, but it just seems "off" for some reason. However, if you do have it, remember that you can buy different colors - brown, white, green, etc. 
  • For a casual wedding, I find it fine. Skip the sign and just leave a couple jars of crayons on each table. Just pick up a couple of boxes at the dollar store and pick up some jars or baskets of something (dollar store has a nice selection of those too).

Many things I find unnecessary or childish, but this I'd dig. I often find myself nostalgic for those coloring placemats that kids get at restaurants. Those are awesome.

So to recap: yes, but no sign. Sign is not necessary. Your guests will figure it out just fine. Maybe you can start a couple of doodles at each table as you're setting up to help them along.
  • Thr Italian restaurants we go to all the time has crayons and fi is always making fun of me for doodling. Personally I'd enjoy it and am considering it myself. I agree with the others about no sign. Crayons plus paper is pretty basic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards